Worried about the lack of goals from our forwards | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Worried about the lack of goals from our forwards

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
I don't mind if he gets off too a slow start, it's like people in the marathons, they always start off really slowly so they have plenty of energy for the middle and latter part of the marathon.
If he does half as well as last season he'll have a good season in my opinion. :thumbs:

Apr 28, 2013
Dont think Reid has done anything wrong at all, its not his fault if the team doesnt create chances for him, I think he was quite a good target man too.

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
r4h4al":g8fubnl9 said:
I don't mind if he gets off too a slow start, it's like people in the marathons, they always start off really slowly so they have plenty of energy for the middle and latter part of the marathon.
If he does half as well as last season he'll have a good season in my opinion. :thumbs:

I want flat out versus Excretia - not a slow start.

C

Cobi Budge.

It's all very well saying Reid scored x many goals last season, that's completely irrelevant.

The fact currently is, he'll struggle to get any unless he get's fitter, hasn't got a lot of time.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
All I hope in terms of our forwards is that Sheridan does not play Morgan and Reid up front together. I have no idea why he started with those two up front against Swansea and I certainly hope that it wasn't a sign of things to come as it simply does not work, the beginning of last season showed that and a return to the two big men up front I fear will show that Sheridan has learnt absolutely nothing from last years slow start to the season.

The two aren't compatible IMO, when the long lump forward is played both are looking to win the header. If they aren't up for the knock down they almost seem lost, you'd expect the other forward to be in close proximity to the man going up for the header, looking for a knock down or a flick forward. Neither player does so when the other goes up for a header though, they just seem lost to me. It's not their fault either, due to their size both players have spent most of their careers' as target men and so are not used to being "the other man" and are therefore not used to positioning themselves as required of "the other man" in a two man attack facing the long ball.

Jun 8, 2014
Can't believe some of the reactions here, it's pre-season.. It's not like Reid has played 10 games, failed to score and been poor in all of them. With no disrespect to the guy, he's no slim fit. He's always been a bit bigger than most, it's his natural build, and he's still an excellent striker who last season scored a lot of goals for us. It's amazing how we can go from so excited to so negative based purely on the fact that the experts on here don't think he's completed his full set of Weightwatchers classes.

This is not the time to pass judgement.. Even the first few games shouldn't be looked at too closesly. Remember, it's about how you perform over a season, not a friendly against one of (lets face it) the best clubs in Britain.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Watching the Swansea game I thought Reid looked quite a bit slimmer than last season.

He really can't be judged at all on that game. All he ever got were the poorest scraps of the ball against good quality defenders and with minimal support.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Paven":1f0pwxji said:
Can't believe some of the reactions here, it's pre-season.. It's not like Reid has played 10 games, failed to score and been poor in all of them. With no disrespect to the guy, he's no slim fit. He's always been a bit bigger than most, it's his natural build, and he's still an excellent striker who last season scored a lot of goals for us. It's amazing how we can go from so excited to so negative based purely on the fact that the experts on here don't think he's completed his full set of Weightwatchers classes.

This is not the time to pass judgement.. Even the first few games shouldn't be looked at too closesly. Remember, it's about how you perform over a season, not a friendly against one of (lets face it) the best clubs in Britain.
This
Jeeeeez I can't believe some of the reactions on here. Pass some judgement after about 6 - 8 league games.
When was the last time Argyle hit the ground running at the start of a season. Without going to GoS I'd guess at the Dave Smith era when we got 7 points from the 1st 3 games (the 3rd being Reading away which Dave Smith thought we had drawn until boarding the coach. :lol: )

P

pafcstafford

Pre season is about fitness... Why every year do people need it explained.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
So turn up and pay to watch people exercise, but don't dare come away expressing an opionion on the exercisers being less fit or capable than expected or on how that might (again) impact the season ahead.

Some people really are so dumb not to get that.

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
Its amazing how people who have no facts about how fit someone is or isn't, can pass such sweeping judgements on observations.

On the "evidence" so far this pre season, I believe we have a number of posters with reduced brain cell counts, but again this is not based on any facts, just an opinion.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
I understand the sentiment Gary, this is a forum and people should be able to express theirs views as they see things.

However, reading this makes me understand what a miserable existence some people lead. Their desire to moan and whinge is breath-taking, by all means make comments about how we are going to play and express opinion on those doing the playing, but whilst still in July? if you search you can find the following:

Reid just isn't fit enough
Morgan shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the squad
Sheridan doesn't know what he's doing
Sheridan is a disgrace
Luke has got it too easy

Some people must have spent June with their TV's switched off, sharpening blades.

We are about to enter a new season where in all probability we will play around 50-55 games, we have 6-7 new players, all of whom will take to time to settle adjust. Even seasoned pro's like Hartley will need to play a number of games with Luke to fully appreciate what he will come for and what he wont. All the training in the world cannot replicate a match situation where these little things are decided.

Even at the top of the tree, Arsenal have told their German players not to return until Mid August, despite them playing a Champions League game on the 19th - from that i assume Wenger probably understands that its a long season.

Maybe its just the problem of summer boredom, maybe its because their now is an avenue to express anger/frustration - whatever the reason, people who criticise pre-season performances are the people i tend to ignore the most. Managers and Pro's all over the world have said it time after time, pre season is all about fitness and settling in.

Anybody concerned by Reid's scoring record in friendlies needs a hobby.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
The Doctor":2ijp1yq1 said:
Watching the Swansea game I thought Reid looked quite a bit slimmer than last season.

He really can't be judged at all on that game. All he ever got were the poorest scraps of the ball against good quality defenders and with minimal support.

Absolutely, I thought he looked at least a stone lighter, it only counts from 090814 onwards.