Retained/Released list (Announced) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Retained/Released list (Announced)

Nov 2, 2004
With a decent run of games and no fitness issues I think Woods would do well and I would be happy if we signed him.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
The Doctor":1a2vu9gf said:
I reckon Edwards, Aimson, Law, Grant, Mayor will get offers and Reeves, MacLeod, Lolos [edited to add: will get released].
I think we might try to sign Fornah if he becomes available but I donā€™t think any of the other loaners will be of interest

Yep exactly how I would see it too.

P

Paranoid Android

Of those out of contract -

Aimson (back 4 or squad player)
Joe 90
Grant
Fornah

Controversially, not Mayor. I think heā€™ll go anyway. But Iā€™ve watched him all season playing LM he takes the ball too deep and spends too long on the ball instead of releasing to the WB for an early cross or switching the play. He slows down the momentum of our attacking play in my view.

Heā€™s very skillful drops his shoulder better than anyone but doesnā€™t make good decisions and canā€™t shoot.

I think with a back 3 or 4 and Law playing WB that George Cooper will shine more advanced at LM.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
The more I see of Ryan Law, the more I wonder why we signed Adam Lewis on loan.
Law is, in my opinion, a better prospect than Lewis and heā€™s one of our own.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
rsp4":1w6to4rg said:
Tbh only Grant, Edwards and Mayor should be offered new contracts.

I think Grant and Mayor will move onto better teams in lg1 tbh.

I agree rsp4, but I think Grant may move on if offered a better contract than Argyle can offer, Mayor i think may stay, he will be 31 in October and is he going to get a better offer elsewhere, he has only scored 2 goals in 63 appearances for Argyle, He says he likes it down in Plymouth and he is a fan favourite.

I think Woods and Fornah may be offered a contract, of the young players on the team, Lolos, Crocker, Cleal, Mitchell, Tomlinson and Law, I hope Argyle offer Law a contract and then loan him out maybe to Torquay on a season loan especially if they make it to League 2. I would assume Mitchell and Tomlinson maybe offered something seeing as they played today, of the other 3 i dont know, it seemed Cleal was a favourite of Lowe earlier in the season.

Jul 12, 2016
Paranoid Android":2hl1ug7v said:
Of those out of contract -

Aimson (back 4 or squad player)
Joe 90
Grant
Fornah

Controversially, not Mayor. I think heā€™ll go anyway. But Iā€™ve watched him all season playing LM he takes the ball too deep and spends too long on the ball instead of releasing to the WB for an early cross or switching the play. He slows down the momentum of our attacking play in my view.

Heā€™s very skillful drops his shoulder better than anyone but doesnā€™t make good decisions and canā€™t shoot.

I think with a back 3 or 4 and Law playing WB that George Cooper will shine more advanced at LM.
Not sure about Fornah but agree on the rest.

Jan 27, 2012
Opoku and Fornah are only worth signing on permanent deals and if they are free transfers and on relatively low wages. Then Argyle can try to improve them. But they shouldn't be automatic first choice players next season- I'd want Argyle to sign better and more experienced defensive players ahead of them. I wouldn't be too concerned if Opoku and Fornah didn't return however- neither look like they are going to set the World alight.

Aimson is the best of a bad bunch of centre backs this year, but nothing outstanding. He's worth keeping only if he is cheap- if he expects big money then he can leave and we can probably find someone better. I'm not too worried if he goes.

Mayor is highly talented and a great player to watch, but he doesn't influence games in the way he should do. If he is on mega-money then maybe it wouldn't be the worse thing to let him go. George Cooper probably has more end product to his game, and he would be better suited as an attacking midfielder rather than a full-back. Argyle would still need to sign another creative player if Mayor departed- but I think the priority is on the right hand side of midfield.

Sep 22, 2020
we are near the bottom because the current players are not good enough as a squad. simple as.

would only strive to keep ennis and possibly edwards and the promising youngsters cooper, law, tomlinson,jephcott should be used instead of loan players next season and maybe randell if he comes back and not loaned out again.

the rest are nothing to shout about and have not produced so can move on although one or two may be better with better players around them.

Aug 5, 2016
ealinggreen":19cqqwae said:
With a decent run of games and no fitness issues I think Woods would do well and I would be happy if we signed him.

Most seem to want to offer Aimson another deal, and you like the look of Woods.

It is almost as if our defence wasn't the second worst in the division this season. As if we didn't concede 10 more goals than the bottom side Bristol Rovers.

Lowe said there were a lack of leaders, winners and characters in the dressing room. Bringing the same fellas back - well, I just don't understand the logic of that.

Apr 1, 2009
Steve Evans":tw51mzf3 said:
from the squad that were at gillingham i would keep;cooper.edwards,hardie,ennis,jephcott,camara,reeves,tomlinson,law,mccormick,lolos,craske and mitchell.i wouldn't keep conor grant( he and mayor are leaving anyway and doesn't bother me at all),i might be tempted to take a chance on aimson as i feel he improved when wootton and canavan left.a midfield three of edwards,reeves and randell would be a very good and forward moving midfield with panuche on the bench to come on when needed.

Edwards, Reeves and Randell would surely be our smallest midfield of all time. To the lack of physicality you can add lack of pace. I think Edwards and Randell will be in the mix, but we need some more physically dominating players throughout the team.

Jul 6, 2011
When it comes to opoku and fornah I think people on here have very short memories. Terrible consistency levels and frankly if they were any good their parent clubs wouldn't let them go.
I also believe that it wouldn't be in Lowes thinking to get rid of young players who are just breaking through into the team. Can't see Lolos going as he looked the only bright spark today despite being on for a limited time. Midfield player for me not a fulltime striker.

My personal opinion on out of contract players...

Stay
Youngsters
Joe Edwards
Danny Mayor
Conor Grant (may leave)
Ben Reeves (won me over today)
Jarvis Cleal (short term to prove himself)
Will Aimson

Leave
Byron Moore (reluctantly)
Gary Sawyer (retiring)
All the rest.....

Mar 14, 2009
I got to be honest but ld hardly resign any of them.

Firstly, why on earth would we resign Reeves when for a whole season Lowe has shown no faith in him. Thatā€™s barmy to resign a guy a manager doesnā€™t use.

Please remember we just lost 2 out of 17 games and only in the last game of the season did Reeves get a first team start. Unless there was one other starting appearance in those 17 games lā€™ve overlooked.

Next is Mayor. I know we will resign him (if he wants to stay) but why sign someone on expensive wages who has no end product. He isnā€™t suddenly after two seasons going to have an end product with his shooting or crossing. The guy isnā€™t a central midfielder. Itā€™s one of those tear your hair out moments because he doesnā€™t have the stamina in central midfield. Look at his second half performances. Non existent. Why play a winger at CM? The worst thing is it harms the rest of the team. Mayor goes out to the wing anyhow. Argyle then look lopsided. It leaves CM exposed where someone like Camara has to cover that space. Which then means the right hand side of the team has no presence.

Conor Grant. He certainly isnā€™t good enough to play as a CM. I know people will tell me his assists. And yes he has scored a couple of great goals. His best position for Argyle is on the left (LWB/LB). If Lowe isnā€™t going to play him there l wouldnā€™t resign him.

Will Aimson. I like the guy. In a back four l find him impressive at times. In a back 3 is distribution is woeful. If we arenā€™t going to play a back four next season then we have seen him for 2 seasons now to know the 3ATB just isnā€™t a system that suits him.

Edwards. Keep. But please for the love of god play the guy back in midfield. Him and Camara in central midfield with their energy and work rate would give us a new dimension. Today highlighted again he doesnā€™t have the defensive Instinct of a full back.

Macleod. Why would you resign when he is injury prone.

Fornah. Mr sideways / backwards. Part of the problem with distribution from out of defensive. In moments youā€™d see something but letā€™s be honest our midfield just got dominated too easily. An CDM thatā€™s protect a defence thatā€™s leaked in 80 goals. Really?

Watts. Really hope the guy recovers from todayā€™s injury. Wish him all the best. He is one of those people you can see really put everything into the game. Opoku might learn something from this guys attitude.

Unfortunately, he has time and again been exposed via his lack of pace and decision making. Lowe said how brilliant he has been for us this season. That made me think he could be coming back to Argyle next year if that sentence wasnā€™t just media sound bites. Otherwise why say it. We also have to look at the fact that apart from injury Lowe kept picking him. Even after mistake after mistake. Concerning!!

Bryon Moore. Turned into a utility player this season. Just not sure what position he would be a real benefit to us now. I will say though in league two l thought he did a good job for us. Just league one the standard is much higher.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
A lot of gaps to be filled. And the fools gold of the likes of Mayor and Grant to beware of.

Beside the team which comes up through the L2 playoffs, one would think Argyle will be nailed on second favourites for relegation.

I guess Lowe has experience of that survival battle in the bottom big leagues that Dewsnip hasnā€™t, but itā€™s going to have to be one heck of a transfer window to reach a more comfortable survival next season. Fingers crossed.

Nov 2, 2004
Knibbsworth":3a7tlykt said:
ealinggreen":3a7tlykt said:

Most seem to want to offer Aimson another deal, and you like the look of Woods.

It is almost as if our defence wasn't the second worst in the division this season. As if we didn't concede 10 more goals than the bottom side
Bristol Rovers.
If the manager continues with 3 at the back he is going to need a squad with at least 5 centre backs.We are not going to just magic up 5 experienced centre backs , apart from anything else we could not afford them. What we can expect is 2 experienced and the rest loanees etc. I happen to think Woods would be a good addition and we will not be able to afford much better than Aimson. If we can sign 2 decent new centre backs Lowe will have done well . I also strongly believe we need more height, part of the problem defending at set pieces were the constant mismatches. That was the one thing Nouble contributed he was a very good defensive header . Hardie,Jephcott and Ennis are all poor set piece defenders which makes the Centre backs job almost impossible.