Retained/Released list (Announced) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Retained/Released list (Announced)

Gary_Wills":usql4qgl said:
A lot of gaps to be filled. And the fools gold of the likes of Mayor and Grant to beware of.

Beside the team which comes up through the L2 playoffs, one would think Argyle will be nailed on second favourites for relegation.

I guess Lowe has experience of that survival battle in the bottom big leagues that Dewsnip hasn’t, but it’s going to have to be one heck of a transfer window to reach a more comfortable survival next season. Fingers crossed.

I think you’re right, many will see us as relegation favourites. However, I’ve noticed over the years how often teams which just avoid relegation seem to do much better the following season. It’s as if they’ve stared into the abyss and worked harder as a consequence. Based on current form you can see Wigan, Wimbledon, Burton, all doing OK next season, yet they were in the bottom four for ages.

I think you’ve also got to ask what advantage the green army generates in terms of points. Was the lack of a GA the reason for our second half capitulations this season? I was never sure about the impact of home support on seasoned professionals, until at a corporate dinner at HP I found myself sitting next to one of our most revered ex defenders, with a gritty, tough, no nonsense reputation. He admitted to me that if you were away at a distant ground on a cold wet Tuesday evening with few Argyle fans, and losing 1-0 with ten minutes to go, your only thoughts were getting back to a hot shower and sod the result. Switch the match to a Saturday with good vocal green support, and he said he would bust a gut for those last ten minutes. Very instructive, I thought.

Dec 30, 2020
ealinggreen":1fqgd22y said:
Knibbsworth":1fqgd22y said:
ealinggreen":1fqgd22y said:
With a decent run of games and no fitness issues I think Woods would do well and I would be happy if we signed him.

Most seem to want to offer Aimson another deal, and you like the look of Woods.

It is almost as if our defence wasn't the second worst in the division this season. As if we didn't concede 10 more goals than the bottom side
Bristol Rovers.
If the manager continues with 3 at the back he is going to need a squad with at least 5 centre backs.We are not going to just magic up 5 experienced centre backs , apart from anything else we could not afford them. What we can expect is 2 experienced and the rest loanees etc. I happen to think Woods would be a good addition and we will not be able to afford much better than Aimson. If we can sign 2 decent new centre backs Lowe will have done well . I also strongly believe we need more height, part of the problem defending at set pieces were the constant mismatches. That was the one thing Nouble contributed he was a very good defensive header . Hardie,Jephcott and Ennis are all poor set piece defenders which makes the Centre backs job almost impossible.

Exactly, the way some people are talking we will need to make 15-20 new signings this summer.

It's not possible to do proper due diligence on that many players in one go, or to successfully recruit that many first choice (or even second/third choice) targets. It would end up being a disaster, like in the summer of 2018 when we made far too many changes.

We need to keep and improve the core of players who have contributed to our better performances this season, as well as making a sensible, manageable number of new additions.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
I'm leaving out from Rubin Wilson at number 33 down, as I don't know their contractual situation nor whether they're worth keeping on (apart from Tomlinson who I would definitely keep as our 5th CB option). Prediction;

Under contract : M.Cooper, Hardie, Randell, Ennis, Camara, Jephcott, G.Cooper

Offer contract : Aimson, Edwards, Mayor, Grant, Law, Tomlinson

Release : Sawyer (Retiring), Wootton, Nouble, Reeves, MacLeod, Moore, Lolos, McCormick (Retiring?), Ruddy

End of loan : Watts, Fornah, Lewis, Opoku, Woods

If that happens, and also in order to play 4 at the back next season, we are going to need;

2 back-up Goalkeepers

1 first choice Right Back (with Edwards as cover)

2 first choice Centre Backs and 1 back-up (to join Aimson and Tomlinson as back-ups)

1 first choice Left Back (with Law as back-up and Grant and G.Cooper as cover)

1 first choice Defensive Midfielder (to join Edwards as first choice) (and Randell as back-up and Grant as cover)

2 Central/Attacking Midfielders, to add to Grant, Mayor, G.Cooper and Camara

1 first choice Number 9 (to support Ennis) and 1 back-up striker (to add to Hardie, Jephcott)

So I make that 12 signings, with 14 on their way.

I won't be putting any money on this though!

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
RKB":1vsb8fkm said:
I'm leaving out from Rubin Wilson at number 33 down, as I don't know their contractual situation nor whether they're worth keeping on (apart from Tomlinson who I would definitely keep as our 5th CB option). Prediction;

Release : Sawyer (Retiring), Wootton, Nouble, Reeves, MacLeod, Moore, Lolos, McCormick (Retiring?), Ruddy

If that happens, and also in order to play 4 at the back next season, we are going to need;

2 back-up Goalkeepers

2 first choice Centre Backs and 1 back-up (to join Aimson and Tomlinson as back-ups)

1 first choice Defensive Midfielder (to join Edwards as first choice) (and Randell as back-up and Grant as cover)

1 first choice Number 9 (to support Ennis) and 1 back-up striker (to add to Hardie, Jephcott)

Exactly my thinking RKB apart from I would Edwards as first choice RWB/RB and he would be a back up CDM (also Grant can play there too) :thumbup:

Oct 31, 2015
RKB":3hxqyajf said:

2 back-up Goalkeepers

Yep we that's roughly how I see it as well although I wouldn't keep Aimson if back 3 is the choice.

May 22, 2006
Only Edwards, Grant and Mayor offered new contracts, (in addition to Law and Tomlinson)

Leaves us very thin on numbers, especially if the last two decide to go elsewhere.

Presumably injury concerns over Reeves and Macleod and not much faith in the youngsters of Cleal , Wilson and Lolos.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I am surprised at the decision to release Aimson, who whilst part of a terrible defensive unit, was individually okay mostly.

Other than that, as expected really. Shame to see Cleal released, not sure what’s gone on there but good luck to the kid wherever he ends up.

Jun 27, 2019
So all six centre-backs who played regularly for us this season have now left the club. They're all carrying the can for us having such a woeful season defensively, but does Ryan Lowe now know what a League One defender looks like? He better bloody do because he needs to sign at least three of them.

I feel sorry for MacLeod, there's a good player in there but his body let him down - it must be so frustrating for him. Reeves was a good signing on paper but he never really did enough in his sporadic appearances to earn a contract. Byron Moore was great for us last season but looked out of his depth at League One level and his departure is no surprise at all.

As for those offered contracts, Edwards will 100% sign, as will Mayor I think, but I'm fully expecting Conor Grant to leave.

Aug 15, 2015
Only surprise is Aimson. We are clearly going to need to sign a shedload of players this summer. Good decisions on all the rest I feel. The likes of Moore, Reeves and MacLeod have had their day and don't have the hunger required to drive us forward, in addition to injury troubles. Quite a nice clean out that. Sad regarding Cleal. Now for a much strong recruitment than last year and none of the loanees to return please...

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Shame about Reeves and Macleod. I'm sure both have done enough or have a good enough reputation to easily get another EFL contract, but I was hoping at least one of them would come off.

Sad about any youngsters released, as always. Not sure what happened with Rubin Wilson, he went on loan to Dorchester (?) and scored, but can't find much more info.

Aug 15, 2015
oldage":34n1tlz0 said:
No real surprises there. My views on Mayor are already well documented

Much as he'd be nice to keep, I'd much prefer to use use his wages to the benefit of a stronger team. But hey ho, let's see, maybe he leaves.

Apr 4, 2007
Grantham, Lincs
Like others have said only surprise is Aimson, but maybe his last ditch challenges have made him standout and our requirement to make them a reflection on a leaderless defence. I've liked what I've seen of Law and Tomlinson looked confident and capable in his couple of outings. That's a lot of defenders to bring in but to be honest we need new next season and experienced not to mention Argyle players not loans.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Well, that gives us plenty of head room to construct a new squad but with some of our own youth developing. It’s what we needed. A clear out. Edwards will sign (he’s clearly loving being at the club). Not sure about Mayor or Grant. Depends what else is on the table. And can you imagine Danny having as good terms as when he was bought in? I’d lower his basic quite a bit and up his add ons for more assists and goals!