Argyle as a yo-yo club? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle as a yo-yo club?

At the start of the season I read the report by Insider Media on the year 16/17 finances of all championship clubs. Only one, Wolves, made a small profit, whilst the losses from all others ranged from 2-30 million, with an average of about 8-10 million if my mental arithmetic is about right. All the clubs coming out of the premiership made huge losses, despite parachute payments.

Whilst we were bottom of our league I gave the report no further thought. However now that we appear able over this or next season to gain promotion, it begs the question are we willing to join the loss makers group, or failing that to become a yo-yo club, keeping ourselves solvent.

If the only way of staying in the Championship is by paying wages which guarantee a loss, then my option would be the yo-yo route, which guarantees we still have a club even if relegation over the medium term becomes a near certainty. This is also based on the fact we are unlikely to attract a rich investor willing to take a gamble.

What do you think?

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
I think this is when you realise the premier league has ruined football as a sport. It has always been about going out and enjoying yourself, whether its a Saturday afternoon or a cold Tuesday evening. Now though, unless you're in the minority where money is no real issue to get to games its about working out when and if you can.

On top of this the reality of wishing your team to climb the leagues is tempered by the knowledge that your beloved club could become obliterated as debt rises.

We don't have champions league money to rely on and the simple reality is we are as high as it actually affordable. Take the step up to the championship then you're really putting yourselves in the lap of the gods. There is no real answer than to enjoy it as best you can because tomorrow could be a lot harder.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Sad but true. I truly despise the Premier league--the football can be outstanding--but success has to be bought and the negative impact on the National side has been immense. I have no idea what the answer is beyond some completely draconian financial caps on wages and transfer fees and telling the TV people to shove it--ain't going to happen though.

Sep 6, 2006
Old Gunner":279vu9tq said:
Sad but true. I truly despise the Premier league--the football can be outstanding--but success has to be bought and the negative impact on the National side has been immense. I have no idea what the answer is beyond some completely draconian financial caps on wages and transfer fees and telling the TV people to shove it--ain't going to happen though.

Agree. I always support the non English teams in Champions League. JUVE!

Old Gunner":34nlu7wu said:

I too dislike the premier league, but England were rubbish before its inception as well as after......

Apr 3, 2010
I think if argyle try and get players who are already good established championship players then we will run at a loss not only will our transfer fees be huge but so will the wage bill.

So we will have to do similar to what Preston do if we go up recruit virtually all players from the SPL or lower leagues and hope they make the transition to championship level.

Just look at Jordan Hugill bought for £50,000 and sold for £10,000,000. Is it a sustainable model long term who knows but I believe we have a manager who would give us half a chance if we did go up if being competitive and fighting off relegation.

Anything more so than achieving that would be and will be difficult with out serious backing.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Aaron D.":3341feue said:
Old Gunner":3341feue said:

I too dislike the premier league, but England were rubbish before its inception as well as after......

We have moved from rubbish to utterly dire.

Sep 6, 2006
Aaron D.":gj56c29d said:
Old Gunner":gj56c29d said:

Semi finals w.c. 1990. Is that rubbish? Now we are losing to Iceland. Makes a mockery of your statement.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Balham_Green":hfo7bghh said:
Aaron D.":hfo7bghh said:
Old Gunner":hfo7bghh said:

Semi finals w.c. 1990. Is that rubbish? Now we are losing to Iceland. Makes a mockery of your statement.

How was 74 and 78 for you?

A

andyr1963

Balham_Green":htetfjoc said:
Aaron D.":htetfjoc said:
Old Gunner":htetfjoc said:

Losing to USA :lol: Historically rubbish. :lol:

Losing to Iceland could have been partly due to the previous days news. A big break in concentration, the whole country was absolutely obsessed and I reckon the team were affected as well. Given the circumstances, an understandable result.

Oct 24, 2010
I don't understand the obsession with the money in the Premier League. To me it is all about the football which is amazing and I am a massive fan, and as I watch 3/4 games a week my Virgin Media package represents fantastic value. I concede that the advent of the Premier League hasn't seen an improvement in the national team's fortunes but, apart from 1990 and 1996 when Gazza was in his prime, we were rubbish before

Oct 24, 2010
Back on subject. It is worth noting that the majority of Championship clubs have wealthy backers investing heavily (gambling) in the hope of making it to the Premier League. Being a well supported club and with our refurbished grandstand and potential to increase capacity it's very possible that we would be of interest to potential investors. With the risks involved is it something we want or are we happy to be, as the OP puts it, a yo-yo club?

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
esmer":2ruzqzbj said:
I don't understand the obsession with the money in the Premier League. To me it is all about the football which is amazing and I am a massive fan, and as I watch 3/4 games a week my Virgin Media package represents fantastic value. I concede that the advent of the Premier League hasn't seen an improvement in the national team's fortunes but, apart from 1990 and 1996 when Gazza was in his prime, we were rubbish before

Agreed that the football is fantastic--and why not when a handful of clubs can buy the best players in the world. For me though it has always been bigger than this. The Premier League is almost a closed shop because of money--teams of mercenaries, managed by guns for hire watched (live) by fans that can afford it. One of the fundamentals of the game has been removed for me i.e. the hope that your team through skill, effort, tactics, luck might just make the top division. That hope has almost been removed. And yes the England team have been poor for a long time but how the heck are they going to improve in the current situation?

Oct 24, 2010
Old Gunner":157glxcy said:
esmer":157glxcy said:

Agreed that the football is fantastic--and why not when a handful of clubs can buy the best players in the world. For me though it has always been bigger than this. The Premier League is almost a closed shop because of money--teams of mercenaries, managed by guns for hire watched (live) by fans that can afford it. One of the fundamentals of the game has been removed for me i.e. the hope that your team through skill, effort, tactics, luck might just make the top division. That hope has almost been removed. And yes the England team have been poor for a long time but how the heck are they going to improve in the current situation?
I don't have an answer to England's problems. People say it is a lack of proper youth development but when you consider the great players that developed their skills on the back street of poor South American cites it tends to blow that theory out of the water. Down the years we simply haven't produced enough quality footballers. The theory is that if English players can thrive in the Premier League playing with and against the best players in the world then it should improve them and benefit our national team. Perhaps with the likes of Kane, Ali, Stirling etc things will improve. Let's hope so.
Regarding your comments about the Premier League I would say that money has bought success in football since the dawn of time. There have always been rich clubs and poor clubs and generally the rich clubs are the ones that are successful. But surely being treated to an abundance of quality football week in week out is the main issue and the money surrounding it is irrelevant. Footballer, actors, rock stars, entrepreneurs, investment bankers :D etc earning fortunes is the way of the world.

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
Old Gunner":1u87pxej said:

I agree