Argyle as a yo-yo club? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle as a yo-yo club?

Oct 24, 2010
Bermudian Green":2lbz6frn said:
esmer":2lbz6frn said:
phil-thefluter24":2lbz6frn said:
The premiership can be summed up thus. Its all about Which foreign owner has the most money to give to their foreign manager to buy the best foreign players all fed by peoples tv sport subscriptions . Not sport any more just a cynical business
You don't like foreigners?

I don't think that's a fair question, it's not about liking or disliking foreigners. Part of the reasoning behind the formation of the premier league was to help the English national team. Now we have over 69% of players who are non-English. How is that in any way helping the national team?

We were sold a pup, the rich get richer, the rest of us just have to fight for the crumbs.

We are being sold the same BS for the checkatrade too.
The Premier League was never set up for the benefit of the national team, it was a hoped for side effect which, unfortunately, hasn't accrued. Yet.
I queried the phil-the flutter's post because it struck me as being a bit xenophobic but if it expresses his concerns for the fortunes of the national team then fair enough.

Oct 24, 2010
Old Gunner":1dbook17 said:
Lundan Cabbie":1dbook17 said:
Bermudian Green":1dbook17 said:
esmer":1dbook17 said:
phil-thefluter24":1dbook17 said:
The premiership can be summed up thus. Its all about Which foreign owner has the most money to give to their foreign manager to buy the best foreign players all fed by peoples tv sport subscriptions . Not sport any more just a cynical business
You don't like foreigners?

I don't think that's a fair question, it's not about liking or disliking foreigners. Part of the reasoning behind the formation of the premier league was to help the English national team. Now we have over 69% of players who are non-English. How is that in any way helping the national team?

We were sold a pup, the rich get richer, the rest of us just have to fight for the crumbs.

We are being sold the same BS for the checkatrade too.

You're right, it was a PART of the reasoning but it was only a part and sadly they got that bit wrong. The rest though has been massively successful in that it is now the most watched domestic league in the world and brings in billions. It's not a closed shop. 49 clubs have had a piece of the pie so they will claim that it has been shared around.

It's only domestic in the sense that it is based in England and the teams use long established English team names and stadia. It is in reality a global league using English infrastructure. English players are bit part actors. I take your point on 49 clubs but again there are 'permanent' members and 'occasional' members. I think it also depends how you define successful--take away the sugar daddies then in normal financial terms it would be considered a disaster. The middle classes (and I'm one of them these days) have replaced the working class who have been priced out of the game at most PL Clubs. I've mentioned the National side in a previous post so I won't repeat myself-----and it puts money in Murdoch's pocket---bleuurggh!
It also gives great pleasure to a huge number of people at a modest cost.

Oct 24, 2010
mervyn":1ghqkld9 said:
Despite all the concerns expressed about the PL, most of which I share, I think if it hadnā€™t been created we would by now have a European super-league, created by the same money.
That's my dream, well one of them.

A

andyr1963

Bermudian Green":5ivswuco said:
Balham_Green":5ivswuco said:
andyr1963":5ivswuco said:
Losing to Iceland could have been partly due to the previous days news. A big break in concentration, the whole country was absolutely obsessed and I reckon the team were affected as well. Given the circumstances, an understandable result.

Hilarious. We lost a football match because of EU referendum. What planet you on?

I reckon he means # 2 on this list. 26 June 2016

1.City of Falluja freed from Islamic State control after a month-long campaign by Iraqi forces
2.Icelandā€™s presidential election is won by history professor GuĆ°ni JĆ³hannesson
3.Panama Canal's third set of locks opens for commercial traffic, doubling the Canalā€™s capacity at an estimated cost of $5.25 billion

My "Planet" at the time was "let's find an angle to beat the bookies.
That Brexit referendum totally obsessed the nation, even my misses was talking about it with her friends, a unique occasion. All I am saying is that the players were not fully concentrated on the job in hand, whether it had any bearing at all doesn't matter, it occurred to me the game was absolutely ripe for an upset, and I bet accordingly, England scored first and I thought ah well, I have called it wrong, they are up for this game after all, then it all hit the fan. Hilarious? No. Profitable? damn right :thumbs:

A

andyr1963

andyr1963":2kht25up said:
Bermudian Green":2kht25up said:
Balham_Green":2kht25up said:
andyr1963":2kht25up said:
Losing to Iceland could have been partly due to the previous days news. A big break in concentration, the whole country was absolutely obsessed and I reckon the team were affected as well. Given the circumstances, an understandable result.

Hilarious. We lost a football match because of EU referendum. What planet you on?

I reckon he means # 2 on this list. 26 June 2016

1.City of Falluja freed from Islamic State control after a month-long campaign by Iraqi forces
2.Icelandā€™s presidential election is won by history professor GuĆ°ni JĆ³hannesson
3.Panama Canal's third set of locks opens for commercial traffic, doubling the Canalā€™s capacity at an estimated cost of $5.25 billion

My "Planet" at the time was "let's find an angle to beat the bookies."
That Brexit referendum totally obsessed the nation, even my misses was talking about it with her friends, a unique occasion. All I am saying is that the players were not fully concentrated on the job in hand, whether it had any bearing at all doesn't matter, it occurred to me the game was absolutely ripe for an upset, and I bet accordingly, England scored first and I thought ah well, I have called it wrong, they are up for this game after all, then it all hit the fan. Hilarious? No. Profitable? damn right :thumbs:

Apologies to original poster, somewhat off topic.