Argyle as a yo-yo club? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle as a yo-yo club?

Jun 4, 2016
Mark Pedlar":b77qa50m said:
Balham_Green":b77qa50m said:
Aaron D.":b77qa50m said:
Old Gunner":b77qa50m said:
Sad but true. I truly despise the Premier league--the football can be outstanding--but success has to be bought and the negative impact on the National side has been immense. I have no idea what the answer is beyond some completely draconian financial caps on wages and transfer fees and telling the TV people to shove it--ain't going to happen though.

I too dislike the premier league, but England were rubbish before its inception as well as after......

Semi finals w.c. 1990. Is that rubbish? Now we are losing to Iceland. Makes a mockery of your statement.

How was 74 and 78 for you?

Or 94?

Sep 6, 2006
andyr1963":2qbbz2t4 said:
Balham_Green":2qbbz2t4 said:
Aaron D.":2qbbz2t4 said:
Old Gunner":2qbbz2t4 said:
Sad but true. I truly despise the Premier league--the football can be outstanding--but success has to be bought and the negative impact on the National side has been immense. I have no idea what the answer is beyond some completely draconian financial caps on wages and transfer fees and telling the TV people to shove it--ain't going to happen though.

I too dislike the premier league, but England were rubbish before its inception as well as after......

Semi finals w.c. 1990. Is that rubbish? Now we are losing to Iceland. Makes a mockery of your statement.

Losing to USA :lol: Historically rubbish. :lol:

Losing to Iceland could have been partly due to the previous days news. A big break in concentration, the whole country was absolutely obsessed and I reckon the team were affected as well. Given the circumstances, an understandable result.

Hilarious. We lost a football match because of EU referendum. What planet you on?

Sep 6, 2006
Mark Pedlar":1qsufr6r said:
Balham_Green":1qsufr6r said:
Aaron D.":1qsufr6r said:
Old Gunner":1qsufr6r said:

Guess you ignorant of the fact there were only 16 teams in both tournaments. In 1978 we got knocked out by Italy and 1974 by Poland who did very well in finals. Don't let facts get in the way of an argument though.

Apr 15, 2008
London
Balham_Green":1p7l5ywi said:
Hilarious. We lost a football match because of EU referendum. What planet you on?

Yes, agreed. This must be the most laughable thing I've ever heard anyone blame on Brexit, this side of Vince 'Marbles well and truly lost' Cable and Tony 'There's my chance of being President of Europe gone' Blair.

We are currently near the top of league One, which has been our historical average (don't forget out most successful recent years were all well within the Premier League era.

The only people really getting rich out of the Premier League are the players... My, my, working class men getting rich, that will never do.

Sep 6, 2006
crownhillpilgrim":7khbj61j said:
Balham_Green":7khbj61j said:

Yes, agreed. This must be the most laughable thing I've ever heard anyone blame on Brexit, this side of Vince 'Marbles well and truly lost' Cable and Tony 'There's my chance of being President of Europe gone' Blair.

We are currently near the top of league One, which has been our historical average (don't forget out most successful recent years were all well within the Premier League era.

The only people really getting rich out of the Premier League are the players... My, my, working class men getting rich, that will never do.

Not the agents then?

Sep 6, 2006
Balham_Green":16k10vnf said:
andyr1963":16k10vnf said:
Balham_Green":16k10vnf said:
Aaron D.":16k10vnf said:
Old Gunner":16k10vnf said:

Losing to USA :lol: Historically rubbish. :lol:

Losing to Iceland could have been partly due to the previous days news. A big break in concentration, the whole country was absolutely obsessed and I reckon the team were affected as well. Given the circumstances, an understandable result.

I can see it now. Joe Hart drops a shot because his mind is on the consequences of Brexit!!! So obvious when you think about it.

Sep 6, 2006
Mark Pedlar":2vwdn9mu said:
Balham_Green":2vwdn9mu said:
Aaron D.":2vwdn9mu said:
Old Gunner":2vwdn9mu said:

82 last 12. 86 1/4 finals. Bit better than recent performance don't you think? I know you don't like facts getting in the way

Oct 24, 2010
There is a stat which says we didn't qualify for the World Cup Finals for a twenty year period from 1962 to 1982, we were the host nation on 1966 and reigning champions in 1970 but our record in the seventies was horrendous in both the world cup and the European football championship. Things are bad now but not that bad, at least we normally qualify for both competitions now.

Sep 6, 2006
esmer":3pohetyv said:
There is a stat which says we didn't qualify for the World Cup Finals for a twenty year period from 1962 to 1982, we were the host nation on 1966 and reigning champions in 1970 but our record in the seventies was horrendous in both the world cup and the European football championship. Things are bad now but not that bad, at least we normally qualify for both competitions now.

Nonsense. Perhaps you weren't around in the 70s and 80s. Those of us who were know recent England teams are far worse. 74 we got knocked out by Poland who came 3rd and 78 by Italy. 16 teams in both tournaments. Try looking beyond the basics.

Oct 24, 2010
Balham_Green":2dz4o27k said:
esmer":2dz4o27k said:

Nonsense. Perhaps you weren't around in the 70s and 80s. Those of us who were know recent England teams are far worse. 74 we got knocked out by Poland who came 3rd and 78 by Italy. 16 teams in both tournaments. Try looking beyond the basics.
Unfortunately I was around then and the basic fact is that in the seventies we failed to qualify for the finals, how on earth are things worse now.

Sep 6, 2006
esmer":32bbnk6m said:
Balham_Green":32bbnk6m said:
esmer":32bbnk6m said:

Unfortunately I was around then and the basic fact is that in the seventies we failed to qualify for the finals, how on earth are things worse now.

I'v just explained it! If you were around it should have been very obvious the international team then was better. Think of some of the great players we had in the 70s for a start.

Oct 24, 2010
Balham_Green":34iz81ow said:
esmer":34iz81ow said:
Balham_Green":34iz81ow said:
esmer":34iz81ow said:

I'v just explained it! If you were around it should have been very obvious the international team then was better. Think of some of the great players we had in the 70s for a start.
Great players who couldn't get us through the group stages of the World or European championship cups!!!! My recollection is that we were poo.

Sep 6, 2006
esmer":g982zqss said:
Balham_Green":g982zqss said:
Balham_Green":g982zqss said:

Great players who couldn't get us through the group stages of the World or European championship cups!!!! My recollection is that we were sh1te.

So the fact we got knocked out by Poland (3rd) and Italy on goal difference after beating them hasn't registered has it?. Or the fact only 16 teams qualified. I suspect your judgement in the 19 70s wasn't that mature unless you are much older than me.

Apr 15, 2008
London
Balham_Green":2vsi36y7 said:
crownhillpilgrim":2vsi36y7 said:
Balham_Green":2vsi36y7 said:

Not the agents then?

Yes, them too. The agents help the players get better deals

Oct 24, 2010
Balham_Green":3izzo9kr said:
esmer":3izzo9kr said:

Great players who couldn't get us through the group stages of the World or European championship cups!!!! My recollection is that we were sh1te.

So the fact we got knocked out by Poland (3rd) and Italy on goal difference after beating them hasn't registered has it?. Or the fact only 16 teams qualified. I suspect your judgement in the 19 70s wasn't that mature unless you are much older than me.
Judging by most of your posts I'm guessing I am much older than you.