Argyle as a yo-yo club? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle as a yo-yo club?

Balham_Green":1346e94y said:
andyr1963":1346e94y said:
Losing to Iceland could have been partly due to the previous days news. A big break in concentration, the whole country was absolutely obsessed and I reckon the team were affected as well. Given the circumstances, an understandable result.

Hilarious. We lost a football match because of EU referendum. What planet you on?

I reckon he means # 2 on this list. 26 June 2016

1.City of Falluja freed from Islamic State control after a month-long campaign by Iraqi forces
2.Iceland’s presidential election is won by history professor Guðni Jóhannesson
3.Panama Canal's third set of locks opens for commercial traffic, doubling the Canal’s capacity at an estimated cost of $5.25 billion

Apr 9, 2011
The premiership can be summed up thus. Its all about Which foreign owner has the most money to give to their foreign manager to buy the best foreign players all fed by peoples tv sport subscriptions . Not sport any more just a cynical business

Sep 6, 2006
phil-thefluter24":3tqzy2br said:
The premiership can be summed up thus. Its all about Which foreign owner has the most money to give to their foreign manager to buy the best foreign players all fed by peoples tv sport subscriptions . Not sport any more just a cynical business

And watched by gullible individuals with more money than sense.

Feb 15, 2005
There are some jealous folk on here. If the guy who invested in Bournemouth had gone 120 miles further down the coast and invested in us then would fans hate the Premier league so much if we were sat middle of the it. Yes under current ownership I think we are at best a team to rattle around the EFL, the PL would need a benefactor of considerable means.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Balham_Green":1fvjb1vv said:
andyr1963":1fvjb1vv said:
Balham_Green":1fvjb1vv said:
Aaron D.":1fvjb1vv said:
Old Gunner":1fvjb1vv said:
Sad but true. I truly despise the Premier league--the football can be outstanding--but success has to be bought and the negative impact on the National side has been immense. I have no idea what the answer is beyond some completely draconian financial caps on wages and transfer fees and telling the TV people to shove it--ain't going to happen though.

I too dislike the premier league, but England were rubbish before its inception as well as after......

Semi finals w.c. 1990. Is that rubbish? Now we are losing to Iceland. Makes a mockery of your statement.

Losing to USA :lol: Historically rubbish. :lol:

Losing to Iceland could have been partly due to the previous days news. A big break in concentration, the whole country was absolutely obsessed and I reckon the team were affected as well. Given the circumstances, an understandable result.

Hilarious. We lost a football match because of EU referendum. What planet you on?

Apparently the offside trap failed, two defenders came out but two remained! :sad:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":12bcul0k said:
Aaron D.":12bcul0k said:
Old Gunner":12bcul0k said:
Sad but true. I truly despise the Premier league--the football can be outstanding--but success has to be bought and the negative impact on the National side has been immense. I have no idea what the answer is beyond some completely draconian financial caps on wages and transfer fees and telling the TV people to shove it--ain't going to happen though.

I too dislike the premier league, but England were rubbish before its inception as well as after......

Semi finals w.c. 1990. Is that rubbish? Now we are losing to Iceland. Makes a mockery of your statement.

In knock-out football anything can happen.

Oct 24, 2010
Balham_Green":2q9899kt said:
phil-thefluter24":2q9899kt said:

I watch at least 3/4 games a week and pay a subscription of £85 per month which includes line rental, broadband and UHD so ot works out at roughly £2.50 per match to watch the greatest players in the world. You don't think that is fantastic value?

esmer":1luaifla said:
Balham_Green":1luaifla said:
phil-thefluter24":1luaifla said:

I watch at least 3/4 games a week and pay a subscription of £85 per month which includes line rental, broadband and UHD so ot works out at roughly £2.50 per match to watch the greatest players in the world. You don't think that is fantastic value?

Don’t wish to be pedantic, but surely that’s nearer £6 per match?

Oct 24, 2010
mervyn":2a1bf4p3 said:
esmer":2a1bf4p3 said:
Balham_Green":2a1bf4p3 said:
phil-thefluter24":2a1bf4p3 said:

Don’t wish to be pedantic, but surely that’s nearer £6 per match?
I was knocking off the line rental and broadband element. Still maybe a bit on the low side, more £3 per game, still not bad value

Oct 24, 2010
phil-thefluter24":3i5nq7ke said:
You don't like foreigners?

esmer":ket4dupu said:
phil-thefluter24":ket4dupu said:

I don't think that's a fair question, it's not about liking or disliking foreigners. Part of the reasoning behind the formation of the premier league was to help the English national team. Now we have over 69% of players who are non-English. How is that in any way helping the national team?

We were sold a pup, the rich get richer, the rest of us just have to fight for the crumbs.

We are being sold the same BS for the checkatrade too.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Isn't a benefit of Brexit though that the EPL now have no excuse not to vastly outlaw the 69?

That could benefit the national game, if anyone's still interested.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Bermudian Green":3g14wkex said:
esmer":3g14wkex said:
phil-thefluter24":3g14wkex said:

I don't think that's a fair question, it's not about liking or disliking foreigners. Part of the reasoning behind the formation of the premier league was to help the English national team. Now we have over 69% of players who are non-English. How is that in any way helping the national team?

We were sold a pup, the rich get richer, the rest of us just have to fight for the crumbs.

You're right, it was a PART of the reasoning but it was only a part and sadly they got that bit wrong. The rest though has been massively successful in that it is now the most watched domestic league in the world and brings in billions. It's not a closed shop. 49 clubs have had a piece of the pie so they will claim that it has been shared around.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Lundan Cabbie":3c6mho00 said:
Bermudian Green":3c6mho00 said:
esmer":3c6mho00 said:
phil-thefluter24":3c6mho00 said:

You're right, it was a PART of the reasoning but it was only a part and sadly they got that bit wrong. The rest though has been massively successful in that it is now the most watched domestic league in the world and brings in billions. It's not a closed shop. 49 clubs have had a piece of the pie so they will claim that it has been shared around.

It's only domestic in the sense that it is based in England and the teams use long established English team names and stadia. It is in reality a global league using English infrastructure. English players are bit part actors. I take your point on 49 clubs but again there are 'permanent' members and 'occasional' members. I think it also depends how you define successful--take away the sugar daddies then in normal financial terms it would be considered a disaster. The middle classes (and I'm one of them these days) have replaced the working class who have been priced out of the game at most PL Clubs. I've mentioned the National side in a previous post so I won't repeat myself-----and it puts money in Murdoch's pocket---bleuurggh!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Old Gunner":2nmkrf6e said:
Lundan Cabbie":2nmkrf6e said:
Bermudian Green":2nmkrf6e said:
esmer":2nmkrf6e said:
phil-thefluter24":2nmkrf6e said:

It's only domestic in the sense that it is based in England and the teams use long established English team names and stadia. It is in reality a global league using English infrastructure. English players are bit part actors. I take your point on 49 clubs but again there are 'permanent' members and 'occasional' members. I think it also depends how you define successful--take away the sugar daddies then in normal financial terms it would be considered a disaster. The middle classes (and I'm one of them these days) have replaced the working class who have been priced out of the game at most PL Clubs. I've mentioned the National side in a previous post so I won't repeat myself-----and it puts money in Murdoch's pocket---bleuurggh!
Quite the smartest appraisal I have ever seen - "Global league using English infrastructure". I would have more time for the concept if more of the billions it earns passed downwards. Unfortunately, as soon as the TV moguls pay more the players' agents immediately raise their bounty. I cannot think of any other cash cow being used so badly, save perhaps for our oil reserves all going to fund benefits!