500/1 for top 6 finish | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

500/1 for top 6 finish

Mar 16, 2009
London
German Shepherd":1e9el9fp said:
Eh ? Argyle finished 7th on 68 points so Charlton would have only needed 69 points (& not 71) to make the playoffs.
Am I being thick or what ?

You’re definitely not being thick GS.

I for one agree with you!

Feb 8, 2019
Now the old codgers are in bed, can somebody with half a brain cell explain to me how finishing 1 point above hypothetical 7th place means you WILL finish 6th?

Caveat: everyone knows that 6th place only needs to finish 1pt above 7th in theory, however in practise you actually need to finish above 6th

Feb 8, 2019
Justin":sxdyvx1b said:
A side of backtrack served alongside rudeness this time Plymscott?

No backtracking here, my stance is quite firm on the above - and will happily discuss further.

However, no rudeness intended - all derogatory terms were meant in jest! When you are absorbed in a discussion it’s quite easy to forget we are all on the same team!

May 5, 2006
After 45 games we need to get 1 more point than the team in 6th, after 46 games we need to have 1 point than the team in 7th.

Feb 14, 2007
Taunton
Plymscott":2s8k3pvo said:
Whelan11":2s8k3pvo said:
Plymscott":2s8k3pvo said:
German Shepherd":2s8k3pvo said:
Right, I've done it. Going back 21 years the average points tally for 7th is 72 points. Therefore, stretching that point , the average points required for the play offs would have been 73 points. The lowest for 7th was 65 & highest 80 (unlucky Bristol Rovers!)Peterborough are currently in 6th place averaging 1.58 points a games, extrapolate (is that the right word ?) to the end of the season will give them 72.7 points...I never realised I was a mathematical genius !!!!!
Argyle will need to average @ 2.5 points per game to get 73 points.

Can you clarify your thought process behind this please? Why would we want to finish 1 point above 7th (I.e. in 7th) if we are looking to finish in the playoffs?

If we finish one point above 7th, we'll be in 6th.

Not true.

If we finish 1 point above 7th we will be in 7th.
For example the current league table has Doncaster in 7th on 47points. If we finish 1 point ahead of them, we are in 7th, still one point behind Peterborough(6th) on 49 points.

If you finish 1 point above 7th place, you take 7th place - not 6th.

The team in 7th, FINISHED in 7th. So they can't move from that spot. So, if we have finished one point above them, we are 6th.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Plymscott":315bb3aw said:
Pogleswoody":315bb3aw said:
Plymscott":315bb3aw said:
bristolmac":315bb3aw said:
If you FINISH above 6th, you will be fifth. You need to go past the team who was 6th, in order to finish sixth, so by finishing above the team who was 6th you make them actually finish 7th. So, by being 1 point above the team who FINISHED 7th you will finish at least 6th.

Haha oh my god.

Look at the current table, drop argyle into the table 1 point above 7th. We would then be 7th.

Think before you post please

FINISH man FINISH!! :facepalm:

Haha wow.

If we finish 1 point above 7th (in the final league table) that puts us 7th.

As mentioned before, please try and think about this before you post your next redundant comment

If we FINISH 1 point above the team that FINISHES 7th then we FINISH 6th.

HAHA F****ING WOW!! :facepalm:

Jan 5, 2018
Surely the bet people should be on is Argyle to finish top half. Much more likely to happen. I'm on at 25/1, 14/1 and 7/1

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 ST Donor 🎫
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
themightykeithfear":35j7xpbc said:
Crazy I wonder how much you could get on
As much as you can afford to lose.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 ST Donor 🎫
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
themightykeithfear":2flm0m04 said:
Keepitgreen":2flm0m04 said:
themightykeithfear":2flm0m04 said:

unfortunately not, I reckon if you tried say £500 theyd give you £100 at 6 and the rest at 4 maybe
It's not how they work. Transfer £500 to my account and I'll put it on for you. :)

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 ST Donor 🎫
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
themightykeithfear":3huwi36r said:
Keepitgreen":3huwi36r said:
Keepitgreen":3huwi36r said:

unfortunately not, I reckon if you tried say £500 theyd give you £100 at 6 and the rest at 4 maybe
It's not how they work. Transfer £500 to my account and I'll put it on for you. :)

err yes it is, their liability will be capped, nether you or I know what this is, but its likely to be quite low on this sort of market, then they'll reset the odds at a much lower price
So you don't want £500 at 6/1?

Aug 4, 2011
Keepitgreen":2dklzvta said:
themightykeithfear":2dklzvta said:
Keepitgreen":2dklzvta said:
themightykeithfear":2dklzvta said:

it is I’m afraid. Try and put that bet on for anything more than £50 and it will send a big orange light flashing at BV HQ and the bet will more than likely be capped/ restricted or rejected