500/1 for top 6 finish | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

500/1 for top 6 finish

May 5, 2006
Plymscott":v33z39er said:
bristolmac":v33z39er said:
If you FINISH above 6th, you will be fifth. You need to go past the team who was 6th, in order to finish sixth, so by finishing above the team who was 6th you make them actually finish 7th. So, by being 1 point above the team who FINISHED 7th you will finish at least 6th.

Haha oh my god.

Look at the current table, drop argyle into the table 1 point above 7th. We would then be 7th.

Think before you post please

I am thinking, the difference between your thoughts and mine is that the team currently in 7th haven't finished yet.

Feb 8, 2019
Pogleswoody":173cmmm6 said:
Plymscott":173cmmm6 said:
bristolmac":173cmmm6 said:
If you FINISH above 6th, you will be fifth. You need to go past the team who was 6th, in order to finish sixth, so by finishing above the team who was 6th you make them actually finish 7th. So, by being 1 point above the team who FINISHED 7th you will finish at least 6th.

Haha oh my god.

Look at the current table, drop argyle into the table 1 point above 7th. We would then be 7th.

Think before you post please

FINISH man FINISH!! :facepalm:

Haha wow.

If we finish 1 point above 7th (in the final league table) that puts us 7th.

As mentioned before, please try and think about this before you post your next redundant comment

Aug 4, 2011
bristolmac":1nbxrb39 said:
yes if you finish above 6th you will finish 5th, or if you finish above 7th you will finish 6th, but the assumption is we finish 1 point better off than 7th place - that doesn’t necessarily mean you’d be 6th - it would mean the team in 7th would drop to 8th. Needs to be looked at holistically.

Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
The point I was trying to make, taking last year as an example :
Charlton finished 6th on 71 points & Argyle 7th :( on 68 points. Therefore 6th place would have only needed 69 points & not 71 to make the playoffs that season.
So the minimum number of points to make play offs is 7th place + 1 point. So taking the average number of points of 6th place as the average number of points to make the playoffs is overly high.

May 5, 2006
football-bet-data":1qhspk3l said:
bristolmac":1qhspk3l said:
yes if you finish above 6th you will finish 5th, or if you finish above 7th you will finish 6th, but the assumption is we finish 1 point better off than 7th place - that doesn’t necessarily mean you’d be 6th - it would mean the team in 7th would drop to 8th. Needs to be looked at holistically.

So, in your example we would have finished 1 point above the team who finished 8th

Feb 8, 2019
German Shepherd":af57wwu3 said:
The point I was trying to make, taking last year as an example :
Charlton finished 6th on 71 points & Argyle 7th :( on 68 points. Therefore 6th place would have only needed 69 points & not 71 to make the playoffs that season.
So the minimum number of points to make play offs is 7th place + 1 point. So taking the average number of points of 6th place as the average number of points to make the playoffs is overly high.

No.

6th place would need 1 more than Charlton (I.e. 72)

Aug 4, 2011
bristolmac":1i6ehncj said:
football-bet-data":1i6ehncj said:
bristolmac":1i6ehncj said:

So, in your example we would have finished 1 point above the team who finished 8th
no, the original question was about a hypothetical league. Historically looking back. To reach the play offs (6th) you would need a finishing points tally equal to or better than the team in 6th.
7th place, and the points they reached is irrelevant in the hypothetical world the question was asked in

Feb 8, 2019
German Shepherd":2jeowg56 said:
Eh ? Argyle finished 7th on 68 points so Charlton would have only needed 69 points (& not 71) to make the playoffs.
Am I being thick or what ?

7th place +1 is the BARE MINIMUM for a team to finish 6th (agreed). However saying 7th+1 completely disregards the amount of points the team in 6th actually has.

Therefore claiming the average points of 7th +1 would be enough is false, as you haven’t taken into account the total points the team in 6th finished on.

Are you with me?

Aug 4, 2011
Plymscott":1fcq8z5v said:
German Shepherd":1fcq8z5v said:
Eh ? Argyle finished 7th on 68 points so Charlton would have only needed 69 points (& not 71) to make the playoffs.
Am I being thick or what ?

7th place +1 is the BARE MINIMUM for a team to finish 6th (agreed). However saying 7th+1 completely disregards the amount of points the team in 6th actually has.

Therefore claiming the average points of 7th +1 would be enough is false, as you haven’t taken into account the total points the team in 6th finished on.

Are you with me?
I am, and agree although I understand what German Shepherd is saying too. It’s like one of those optical illusions. Some people see 2 faces some see a candlestick. As it’s all hypothetical is a discussion about nothing

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
These aren’t the droids you’re looking for.. move along!

A

andyr1963

German Shepherd":kqxu5y16 said:
I give up !

Cmon you lightweight, I went back 25 years to get my average you only went back 21 :shocked:

This has become the most bizarre thread :lol: