500/1 for top 6 finish | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

500/1 for top 6 finish

Jan 6, 2004
CornishLyndhurst1886":2tkq42as said:
Not to mention all the teams between us. Would be a miracle

Teams in between us are irrelevant, the fact there are lots of teams above us is why we need such a high points total. Overtaking them is not a separate hurdle to getting the points.

It is very very unlikely but stranger things have happened and I think the chances are probably a bit (although not much) great than the current odds of 200/1

Feb 8, 2019
German Shepherd":1cklgll2 said:
Right, I've done it. Going back 21 years the average points tally for 7th is 72 points. Therefore, stretching that point , the average points required for the play offs would have been 73 points. The lowest for 7th was 65 & highest 80 (unlucky Bristol Rovers!)Peterborough are currently in 6th place averaging 1.58 points a games, extrapolate (is that the right word ?) to the end of the season will give them 72.7 points...I never realised I was a mathematical genius !!!!!
Argyle will need to average @ 2.5 points per game to get 73 points.

Can you clarify your thought process behind this please? Why would we want to finish 1 point above 7th (I.e. in 7th) if we are looking to finish in the playoffs?

Feb 14, 2007
Taunton
Plymscott":1qbekgfn said:
German Shepherd":1qbekgfn said:
Right, I've done it. Going back 21 years the average points tally for 7th is 72 points. Therefore, stretching that point , the average points required for the play offs would have been 73 points. The lowest for 7th was 65 & highest 80 (unlucky Bristol Rovers!)Peterborough are currently in 6th place averaging 1.58 points a games, extrapolate (is that the right word ?) to the end of the season will give them 72.7 points...I never realised I was a mathematical genius !!!!!

Can you clarify your thought process behind this please? Why would we want to finish 1 point above 7th (I.e. in 7th) if we are looking to finish in the playoffs?

If we finish one point above 7th, we'll be in 6th.

Feb 8, 2019
Whelan11":37242jo7 said:
Plymscott":37242jo7 said:
German Shepherd":37242jo7 said:

Not true.

If we finish 1 point above 7th we will be in 7th.
For example the current league table has Doncaster in 7th on 47points. If we finish 1 point ahead of them, we are in 7th, still one point behind Peterborough(6th) on 49 points.

If you finish 1 point above 7th place, you take 7th place - not 6th.

Feb 8, 2019
themightykeithfear":3ebuvexw said:
Plymscott":3ebuvexw said:
Whelan11":3ebuvexw said:
Plymscott":3ebuvexw said:
German Shepherd":3ebuvexw said:

Not true.

If we finish 1 point above 7th we will be in 7th.
For example the current league table has Doncaster in 7th on 47points. If we finish 1 point ahead of them, we are in 7th, still one point behind Peterborough(6th) on 49 points.

If you finish 1 point above 7th place, you take 7th place - not 6th.

it depends, if 6th and 7th are on same points 1 pt above 7th = 6th

Okay ridiculous assumptions aside (that were not stated to begin with).

In order to finish in the playoffs (6th) you need to finish 1 point above 6th, and therefore come 6th(!)

If 6th and 7th are on the same points, you still need to finish above 6th, not 7th.

May 5, 2006
If you FINISH above 6th, you will be fifth. You need to go past the team who was 6th, in order to finish sixth, so by finishing above the team who was 6th you make them actually finish 7th. So, by being 1 point above the team who FINISHED 7th you will finish at least 6th.

Feb 8, 2019
bristolmac":zf93o8io said:
If you FINISH above 6th, you will be fifth. You need to go past the team who was 6th, in order to finish sixth, so by finishing above the team who was 6th you make them actually finish 7th. So, by being 1 point above the team who FINISHED 7th you will finish at least 6th.

Haha oh my god.

Look at the current table, drop argyle into the table 1 point above 7th. We would then be 7th.

Think before you post please

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Plymscott":3kv6iuvc said:
bristolmac":3kv6iuvc said:

Haha oh my god.

Look at the current table, drop argyle into the table 1 point above 7th. We would then be 7th.

Think before you post please

FINISH man FINISH!! :facepalm: