A few points from last night. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

A few points from last night.

A

Anonymous

greenblood79":nh5h6a2e said:
all a nice post and plenty of names dropped, I will give you that.

But for you to state we will not be relegated really does beggar belief.

we don't score goals and we ship goals like there is no tomorrow, no matter who the opposition is. We are on a downward slide which has been going on for 3 years. We have a team of kids and a manager who is not a qualified manager or coach.

we are as good as down.

I don't put anyone on 'ignore' as I'm a Mod, but if I did it would be you.

That's not meant to be rude, simply a statement of fact.

The fact that you've said that, gives me even more room for optimism.

:wave:

G

greenblood79

IJN":2jgp9qnm said:
greenblood79":2jgp9qnm said:

we don't score goals and we ship goals like there is no tomorrow, no matter who the opposition is. We are on a downward slide which has been going on for 3 years. We have a team of kids and a manager who is not a qualified manager or coach.

we are as good as down.

least you enjoyed your meal. that is the main thing.

A

Anonymous

green eyed monster":1zu8knta said:
Good insight Ian, nice post....although seeing you on the TV hob nobbing it with the greater good is turning you into a plastic :greensmile:

GEM

First time I've ever heard of somebody watching TV calling somebody at the match a plastic :) isn't it the other way around? ;)

May 29, 2011
Bristol
greenblood79":3ll1yygm said:
IJN":3ll1yygm said:
greenblood79":3ll1yygm said:

we are as good as down.

Did you enjoy your saucer of milk?

A

Anonymous

green eyed monster":63vei6mi said:
Good insight Ian, nice post....although seeing you on the TV hob nobbing it with the greater good is turning you into a plastic :greensmile:

2 things...

1, my big concern is James's statement about Fletch, we are so void of ideas and tacticts its frightening, I firmly beleive we need a 'manager' in place if we are to get out of this.

2, I really wish I shared your optimism about staying up, we are so bad that relegation seems more probable than possible, we have no divine right to stay in this league....lets see what Saturday brings :scarf:

GEM

From what was said last night O'Driscoll could well be the answer.

I share your worries about lack of experience. :sad:

I'm not, for one minute, sayin 'we're too good to go down', what I am saying is, I am confident that JB will not allow that, and he will bring in what needs to be brought in.

A

Anonymous

greenblood79":21z1kxh2 said:

You weren't there, which is a positive.

We had knives and forks, so you would have been knackered.

Jan 29, 2010
plymouth
I am glad i read this post.After last night i had almost given up hope , but reading what Ian had to say about Darren Purse i start to feel a little optimism coming back.Maybe we can now start to turn the corner.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Whilst i whole heartedly agree that one man doesnt make a team, i can see the positives of bringing in Purse and hope he can help turn things around.

1) hopefully he can marshall the troops at set pieces;
2) he can contest headers with the attackers from long balls whilst his partnering CB can mop up. (i know they were on a different level, but this wasnt this the key to the Seip/Timar combination. Seip could read the game and was quick, Timar could battle for ariel balls). Hopefully the introduction of Purse outlines the respective roles of the 2 centre backs enabling them to operate more efficiently at their designated task.
3) seems like a "take-no-crap" kind of guy, hopefully rally the troops throughout the game and at half time
4) given his experience, could help out with the defending on the training ground.

p.s. as an aside to 4) anyone know where Tim Breaker ended up?

Aug 29, 2008
Cheers Ian. At least you are trying to cheer us up!

I don't suppose you had an equally impressive / uplifting conversation with O'Driscoll did you?
Or, for that matter, any rather large yet prolific centre forwards?

A

andyr1963

ElDuderino":1v3qmfoj said:
IJN":1v3qmfoj said:
ElDuderino":1v3qmfoj said:
I'm worried.

It's more like 'blind'.

We have a massive lack of experience running from boardroom level down to management level down to the playing staff.

That is a worry.

If we're relying on Mr Purse who probably has more red cards than goals to his name to keep us up then again that is a massive worry.

We have an owner who "knows nothing about football" who has kept on a chairman who employed a total novice to run the most important aspect of the business. The chairman (None of this "football matters employee") is at best an extremely devisive character who is steadily working his way downwards through the leagues, he is the limit of our "experience". The manager just happens to be our best player, his playing abilities are being hindered by his managerial responsibilities. Please Mr Brent get rid of the serial failure Ridsdale, reinstate Fletcher as solely a player and get a professional manager in to run the team.

This has nothing to do with Mr Brent not being a "football man" it is a business. He would not appoint a chamber maid to manage a hotel.

B

Buddy & Muff

greenblood79":p7wkjdft said:

we are as good as down.

LOVL. :lol:

Mar 19, 2004
Tim Chown":3f83xb9d said:
We need a beast. It seems we have secured one.

A Cup run would have been fantastic, not least as I understand the profits would have been used in part to accelerate the staff repayments. But we are where we are, out of the Cup and five points adrift from League 2 safety. That said, there are still 28 games and 84 points to play for over the next six months.

This is the bit that worries me, it sounds like it'll be easy.....but.

On average 48-51 points kept people safe in the football league over the last 4 years, we currently have 9 and at our current rate are on course for 23. So we actually need around 42 out of the 84 points available to be confident of survival....

In other words we have to win every other game, 14 wins. So far, we've won 2 in 18.

The fact that we are only just able to do something about the squad is hte biggest problem, losing ( not gaining) Dickenson was a huge blow looking back.

That is the true cost of the dithering that P&A put us through with their Heaney flirtation.

Apr 15, 2008
London
greenblood79":2z18vnsl said:

we are as good as down.

I don't agree we're as good as down yet... but I agree with the piece in bold. We can't shake the habit of losing we've had for 4 seasons now.

Feb 29, 2008
Half the trouble with our tactics and not changing things is that we are very limited with the numbers in our squad. A few years ago we could have fielded 3 teams simultaneously at the moment we have trouble putting useful subs on the bench. Every player that we bring in now will help that situation, it will also bring pressure to bear on defenders now that we can afford to drop one or two if not performing as we will have back up, to say that we are relegated now is totally clueless. I am absolutely f##ked after a car crash and several lots of major surgery and I still have more backbone left than some of you gimps, MAN UP FFS!
I am no different in that I am also worried, I am just not ready to throw the towel in at the end of round three.

I remember when we were in the Championship and Southampton had come down from the Prem, we beat them 2-1 with chadwick scoring the winner. Their fans forum was going mental with fans saying that losing to plymouth was the lowest point in the history!! i took great joy signing up to defend Argyle and try to make them look a little closer to home for their problems.
This week has been the lowest point in our history (Administration admitted), losing to torquay for the first time in 39 years and then getting out played by a level 7 club (Twice). Would like to say congratulations to Stourbridge though, tidy team they have there.

We will come out of this, last night we were back to a thread bare squad who have been beated in nearly every game this season, they were on a hiding to nothing last night. Its gone now though, history just like our administration. History that won't be forgotten.

Saturday is the start of the rest of our season, with one goal, climbing the league. And it's not just Darren Purse coming into the team, we'll have 2 strikers with Southern coming in and another midfielder with Max Blanchard here. Another signing before thursday would be great if possible, especially if its a striker.

If we're going to get out of this and move on then we all need to do it together! We all pulled together when the staff weren't getting paid, thousands of people dipped into their pockets to help the club. Now all the club needs is your support by turning up and getting behind the team, is it too much to ask???