A few points from last night. | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

A few points from last night.

D

David Whitehouse

argyleiggy":s3jd72yz said:
I am absolutely f##ked after a car crash and several lots of major surgery and I still have more backbone left than some of you gimps, MAN UP FFS!

Get well soon Iggy, your humour is an encouraging sign that you're on the way back.

Nov 6, 2006
One man wont make a team we need another 10 new players. Simple fact this is the worst Football team iv ever seen in many years of supporting Argyle. No way will this be resolved this season there is only one place were heading.
Watching that last night was torture sad sad days!

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
nickswire":30o4resn said:
Sounds like Purse is the kind of player we need right now. From what he said to you is more than what a majority of the players showed on the pitch last night on national television :doh: . Come to think of it, saturdays team will be a bit more promising with Purse and Sutherland (who looked good against torquay) coming in, but these next 3 games need to be fought for. I for one wishes January 1st would come sooner.

On a further note i would just like to thank you and chris webb for what your doing for the club and how you represent the fans opinions and feelings at a higher level within the club :clap:

What he said :scarf:

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
This Purse lad whoever he is talks the talk then. So could Peter Reid. And not everyone cared much for him either. Cupboard's bare until Purse does anything out on the pitch frankly.

So, new message is relax, Argyle will spend their way out; fine by most I assume. Hey, it's capitalism. Time to get excited only once we see some evidence out on the pitch, however, crowds willl rightly drop until then.

I must have my impressions all mixed though. Cos what does seem to grate a little is why Brent has to wine and dine some of his special helpers (who've put in the hours, all credit) so as to send them scurrying back to the 'independent' website to motivate the little people. That does make working out if the ship has sunk just that little more difficult.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Gary_Wills":3bsjngd4 said:
This Purse lad whoever he is talks the talk then. So could Peter Reid. And not everyone cared much for him either. Cupboard's bare until Purse does anything out on the pitch frankly.

So, new message is relax, Argyle will spend their way out; fine by most I assume. Hey, it's capitalism. Time to get excited only once we see some evidence out on the pitch, however, crowds willl rightly drop until then.

I must have my impressions all mixed though. Cos what does seem to grate a little is why Brent has to wine and dine some of his special helpers (who've put in the hours, all credit) so as to send them scurrying back to the 'independent' website to motivate the little people. That does make working out if the ship has sunk just that little more difficult.

Wasnt he our top scorer a few seasons back?! :whistle:

Jun 19, 2006
Somewhere or other
Chris Webb":1k052cha said:
green eyed monster":1k052cha said:
Good insight Ian, nice post....although seeing you on the TV hob nobbing it with the greater good is turning you into a plastic :greensmile:

GEM

First time I've ever heard of somebody watching TV calling somebody at the match a plastic :) isn't it the other way around? ;)

:doh:

I have to pay for my ticket :whistle:

A

Anonymous

I'm a Brent special helper.

:wave:

I'm available for Christmas bookings!! :lol:

Jul 6, 2011
I was talking to a Man Utd fan about argyle and he was saying that Utd never turned the corner until they got a competent goalkeeper and decent defence, well I think Argyle have a decent goalie in Cole (not quite Schmeichel, but okay), but the defence is all over the place. Maybe with Purse and Blanchard if used in that position we can turn a corner as well.
If you have confidence in your defence it's amazing what it can do for the rest of the team

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
great post that ian. i would disagree with one point. you say "there is plenty of time to sort this mess out". there isn't, we need to get going right now on team spirit, fitness and total focus on survival. i am encouraged by your meeting with darren purse, he is the sort we need and i am pleased he has already looked down here . keep up the good work mate. roll on saturday when we will have sutherland, purse, blanchard and hopefully soukouna to choose from.

Sep 6, 2006
ElDuderino":19kqmnh6 said:
IJN":19kqmnh6 said:
ElDuderino":19kqmnh6 said:
I'm worried.

It's more like 'blind'.

:wave:

We have a massive lack of experience running from boardroom level down to management level down to the playing staff.

That is a worry.

If we're relying on Mr Purse who probably has more red cards than goals to his name to keep us up then again that is a massive worry.

Everybody is worried especially those who witnessed that shambles last night which you didn't. Nowhere did IJN or anybody else say we are solely relying on Purse. You just decided to read it that way. He is just a vital piece in the jigsaw.

Mar 12, 2008
Leeds
IJN":2oqx0x0d said:
It was a great chance to see things from a different perspective last night and it's fair to say that Webby and I were like kids in a sweet shop. From a normal fan's point of view, it was an eye opener.

Darren Purse sat next to us, after being introduced to both Chris and I at the pre match meal in the board room.

His exact words were 'I'll give 110% to Argyle, I'll play until I drop and I'll die for the club. I'll put my arms around the players that want that, and I'll bang heads of those that can handle that, as well as need it'.He and his wife Lindsey (sp??) were both extremely impressive, they had done their homework, they've been down to Plymouth and like the place. They now know a lot more about our wonderful City and the surrounding environs.

Because of the impression that man left on us last night, I think it fair to say that we were more upbeat than anyone who did not hear what we did, which is everyone. :crazy:

JB was fuming last night, he was almost speechless he was so annoyed, it took a good 15 minutes for Webby, Peter Jones and myself to bring him back to what we're used to.

If anyone thinks that JB is not going to correct this mess, then they are very much under the wrong impression.

The game? Total crap, totally embarrassed, we were outplayed and outfought by a 7th division side. Our 'Captain' went missing yet again, for the 2nd time in two games, and that must be sorted.

There is a lot of time for this mess to be sorted, but we must all remember, this 'window' that we are operating in, is one of non contract and loanees, and to be fair to all, we can't use our 'spending power' (term used losely, but truly) until January 1st.

We're inn trouble, so are other teams, thing is, we are paying good money (way to good for some of the 'player's we witnessed last night) and that will work in our favour when the wallet can be opened.

Stourbridge were a credit to football last night, we were the opposite. We let the football league down last night, we were THAT bad.

Relegated, no way, but it's a dark period in our history, that's for sure.

I could do all of thise things in bold. Doesn't mean I'm the answer though.

I'm trying to fight the urge to be critical here, but what else was he going to say to two people who had been introduced to him as supporters? "I'm getting to the end of my career, looking for one last contract. I've heard the South West is a nice place to retire, etc?"

Sep 6, 2006
P@blo":16p7ts2c said:
Tim Chown":16p7ts2c said:
We need a beast. It seems we have secured one.

A Cup run would have been fantastic, not least as I understand the profits would have been used in part to accelerate the staff repayments. But we are where we are, out of the Cup and five points adrift from League 2 safety. That said, there are still 28 games and 84 points to play for over the next six months.

This is the bit that worries me, it sounds like it'll be easy.....but.

On average 48-51 points kept people safe in the football league over the last 4 years, we currently have 9 and at our current rate are on course for 23. So we actually need around 42 out of the 84 points available to be confident of survival....

In other words we have to win every other game, 14 wins. So far, we've won 2 in 18.

The fact that we are only just able to do something about the squad is hte biggest problem, losing ( not gaining) Dickenson was a huge blow looking back.

That is the true cost of the dithering that P&A put us through with their Heaney flirtation.

Your stats sound very dodgy without checking them. Pretty sure nothing like that total was needed last season nor will be this season. There are several teams with less than a point a game.

Jul 11, 2006
Germany
thanks for the post.
my 2c worth.
some danger of purse being looked at as some sort of messiah, he's a 34yo journeyman
looking for a final payday.
risdale knows him from cardiff, he will bring some experience to the dressing room and bang a few heads together.
its getting close to blood and snotters time.

more decent signings need to follow. state the bleeding obvious.
not panicking yet but at least we can hold some trials & more behind closed doors matches to test
options on or around dec 3. (facup round 2 date)