Argyle confirm Ryan Lowe as manager | Page 13 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle confirm Ryan Lowe as manager

Aug 11, 2013
I'm very much in the 'reserving judgment' category and don't envy him the task (what with the expectations of some on here).

Think this will be a transition year at best.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The club website now lists Ryan Lowe as 'First Team Manager' whereas previously Derek Adams was named as 'Head of Football'.

During the process to find a new manager CEO Andrew Parkinson gave an interview and said the club was looking for someone to be involved with the ladies team, academy, the community and commercial partners with the first team being a priority.

So is Lowe a direct replacement for all of the areas of the club that Adams was involved with as stated by Andrew Parkinson or due to Lowe's inexperience he is just concentrating on the first team?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Just the first team hopefully.

Dereks job was just too much for just 1 man.

May 8, 2011
PL2 3DQ":17vcf7zl said:
The club website now lists Ryan Lowe as 'First Team Manager' whereas previously Derek Adams was named as 'Head of Football'.

During the process to find a new manager CEO Andrew Parkinson gave an interview and said the club was looking for someone to be involved with the ladies team, academy, the community and commercial partners with the first team being a priority.

So is Lowe a direct replacement for all of the areas of the club that Adams was involved with as stated by Andrew Parkinson or due to Lowe's inexperience he is just concentrating on the first team?

I doubt that Lowe will be able or willing to commit the hours of his own time often on ‘days off’ to the other areas that Derek Adams was only too pleased to do.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
HC Green":2nftucrq said:
PL2 3DQ":2nftucrq said:

I doubt that Lowe will be able or willing to commit the hours of his own time often on ‘days off’ to the other areas that Derek Adams was only too pleased to do.

Noted, but did it achieve us a sufficient number of League points to avoid relegation? I always felt in business that commitment must always be balanced by ability and inspiration. The question remains of course as to where DA fell short over the season?.

May 8, 2011
Quintrell_Green":dot5vtpx said:
HC Green":dot5vtpx said:
PL2 3DQ":dot5vtpx said:

Noted, but did it achieve us a sufficient number of League points to avoid relegation? I always felt in business that commitment must always be balanced by ability and inspiration. The question remains of course as to where DA fell short over the season?.

Perhaps the question should be asked how much support did the football club give to the football side of the business, rather than relying on someone to perform miracles again.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
HC Green":y3rkvfna said:
PL2 3DQ":y3rkvfna said:

Not knocking Derek in the least Clive, but I always believe that it's 'output' what is important not 'input'.

Mar 14, 2009
IJN":16f47o7d said:
HC Green":16f47o7d said:
PL2 3DQ":16f47o7d said:

Not knocking Derek in the least Clive, but I always believe that it's 'output' what is important not 'input'.

I don’t claim to know any more about football than anyone else, yet when this question comes up about where did it go wrong l do find it strange.

1. The defence. Look at how badly we defended against teams like Leyton Orient and Dagenham & Redbridge in league two. This was a sign things weren’t right. We defended in the same manner in league one. Allowing teams to get behind us, even though we often played with a deep defensive line, and we stood off players.

Have a look at the way teams cut in behind us between the full back and centre halves. Two years on, it was still a massive issue.

2. Pace. We simply had no pace in midfield. They were too slow. So with a big gap between our forwards and the rest of the team we often gave away the ball. Now people will point out how we did well away from home in L2. That’s because we had Slew & Jervis who could hit teams on the break. Two years later we had Lameiras and Carey. Great players but more suited to being in the middle, than out wide.

3. GC10. He moved him from the middle to out wide. If your a smart defender you would always show Carey onto his right foot. When playing in the no10 role he could go anywhere. Less predictable. Plus he can shoot more because he is playing more centrally. Out wide he was more restricted.

4. Lack of goals from midfield. When you pick Fox, Ness and Sarcevic they might be good players on their day but they simply don’t chip in with enough goals. It meant we had to rely way too much in Carey, Lameiras and Ladapo.

I’m really sorry but Adams failed because he made too many mistakes when trying to evolve the team and made one huge mistake in not coaching the team to defend properly as a unit. Sitting back behind the ball and allowing opposition teams time and space on the ball is not a good way of defending.

I’m sure if he had a better budget he could of brought in better players but fundamentally he was always going to fail because the way we defended was appalling and that was proven by our relegation back to league two.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Metal_Green_Mickey":1wrtqj89 said:
IJN":1wrtqj89 said:
HC Green":1wrtqj89 said:
PL2 3DQ":1wrtqj89 said:

I don’t claim to know any more about football than anyone else, yet when this question comes up about where did it go wrong l do find it strange.

1. The defence. Look at how badly we defended against teams like Leyton Orient and Dagenham & Redbridge in league two. This was a sign things weren’t right. We defended in the same manner in league one. Allowing teams to get behind us, even though we often played with a deep defensive line, and we stood off players.

Have a look at the way teams cut in behind us between the full back and centre halves. Two years on, it was still a massive issue.

2. Pace. We simply had no pace in midfield. They were too slow. So with a big gap between our forwards and the rest of the team we often gave away the ball. Now people will point out how we did well away from home in L2. That’s because we had Slew & Jervis who could hit teams on the break. Two years later we had Lameiras and Carey. Great players but more suited to being in the middle, than out wide.

3. GC10. He moved him from the middle to out wide. If your a smart defender you would always show Carey onto his right foot. When playing in the no10 role he could go anywhere. Less predictable. Plus he can shoot more because he is playing more centrally. Out wide he was more restricted.

4. Lack of goals from midfield. When you pick Fox, Ness and Sarcevic they might be good players on their day but they simply don’t chip in with enough goals. It meant we had to rely way too much in Carey, Lameiras and Ladapo.

I’m really sorry but Adams failed because he made too many mistakes when trying to evolve the team and made one huge mistake in not coaching the team to defend properly as a unit. Sitting back behind the ball and allowing opposition teams time and space on the ball is not a good way of defending.

I’m sure if he had a better budget he could have brought in better players but fundamentally he was always going to fail because the way we defended was appalling and that was proven by our relegation back to league two.

A very astute summary MGM.
I would say that the biggest mistake was, having assembled a slow and incredibly brittle defence, to spend vast chunks of the season trying to play counter attacking football.
We would either start games trying to absorb pressure and be out of the match before we'd troubled the opposition due to the inevitable breaching of the defence.
Alternatively we'd start out on the front foot, go ahead and then revert to the sponge idea again, inevitably giving the opposition impetus and a way back into the game rather than killing it off.
Knowing full well the fragile nature of the defence it truly beggared belief that, time after time, Adams put his faith in the defence rather than in the attacking unit to win games.
Hopefully, if the defence cannot be bolstered with at least 2 new competent centre backs over the summer then at least Lowe's attacking philosophy may see Argyle put together some unassailable leads in games.
I also agree wholeheartedly about Carey who contributed far more shots and goals from a central position. The majority of the time Carey and Lameiras played in tandem the team looked massively more dangerous yet it took 6 months in two consecutive seasons for Adams to pluck up the bottle to play that way

Mar 14, 2009
The Doctor":3kicg0oa said:
I'm not sure that I agree with the view that Carey wasn't as effective out wide. I always felt that he was at his most dangerous playing wide on the RIGHT.

Whatever the reason, last season he just wasn’t the same player. The season before he didn’t turn up, like most of the team for at least the first 3 months of the season.

I just think in L2 he was, along with Bradley, our main components for winning promotion.

However, l agree you can take the opinion he was as effective. It’s very subjective topic.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
The Doctor":3i9qkf9r said:
I'm not sure that I agree with the view that Carey wasn't as effective out wide. I always felt that he was at his most dangerous playing wide on the RIGHT.

Right footed Danny Mayor plays on the left. Big ifs, but if he came and Carey stayed, that would be a frightening prospect.

Mar 14, 2009
monkeywrench":2eo9fl61 said:
The Doctor":2eo9fl61 said:

Right footed Danny Mayor plays on the left. Big ifs, but if he came and Carey stayed, that would be a frightening prospect.

This is point. Doesn’t he play as one of the two no10’s??? it’s not like he would be hugging the touch line like Carey did most of last season as a Right Forward who could move inside. I don’t think Mayor’s position was/would be as restrictive as Carey’s.