Argyle & the coronavirus. Season off to Apr 3 | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle & the coronavirus. Season off to Apr 3

If the coronavirus affects games would you prefer ...

• Games behind closed doors and on iFollow

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Postpone games and play later, maybe May/June

Votes: 80 68.4%

• Total voters
Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
You're still not reading my point.

Let's make it simple, yes more people catch it, yes more people die, BUT if you look at the statistics here https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ographics/ you'll see the stats are heavily skewed due to the fact for those above 80 it's very deadly but for the general public the death rate is low.

In fact, further to my point, scrolling down on that page you'll see your chance without any pre-existing medical condition is 0.9%, again proving my point that to the general public it's not that deadly.

Finally, because a good statistical analysis always allows for a control. This link here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6815659/ explains the seasonal flu has a death rate of around 2% (again with a strong skew to those above 65 in this case).

Ergo, for the general public (those under 80 and without a pre-existing medical condition) it is no worse than the normal flu.

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Have you been to Home Park? Elderly stats might be more important than those for ā€œthe general publicā€ ;)

Mar 25, 2007
Anyway, back to the football.

If the season got stopped early I presume the league positions at the point of stoppage would be final? If no play offs were to happen, 4th would effectively become another auto promotion spot and 5th nowhere.

Sep 6, 2006
Willis88":2k2a63yt said:
Balham_Green":2k2a63yt said:
Balham_Green":2k2a63yt said:
Loads of fear over something that's a whole lot of nothing.

If you've got a pre-existing medical condition then you might be in trouble, but for the vast majority of the general public it's just like another flu.

About time this scaremongering was calmed down.

Remember when SARS was the end of the world (a disease with a higher death rate - granted less infections), or bird flu, or swine flu?

I feel sorry for those who have/are suffering with the illness and any losses too, don't get me wrong, but there's loads of fluff and bluster about very little again!

Wrong. Its more infectious than normal flu with higher mortality rate

I did say to the general public, for those with pre-existing medical issues, or above a certain age it's more deadlier than the flu.

For the general public (basically everyone not included in my requirements above) it's just a catchier flu

Right - so apart from the fact that more people die and its more infectious its just the same as ordinary flu :facepalm:

You're still not reading my point.

Let's make it simple, yes more people catch it, yes more people die, BUT if you look at the statistics here https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ographics/ you'll see the stats are heavily skewed due to the fact for those above 80 it's very deadly but for the general public the death rate is low.

In fact, further to my point, scrolling down on that page you'll see your chance without any pre-existing medical condition is 0.9%, again proving my point that to the general public it's not that deadly.

Finally, because a good statistical analysis always allows for a control. This link here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6815659/ explains the seasonal flu has a death rate of around 2% (again with a strong skew to those above 65 in this case).

Ergo, for the general public (those under 80 and without a pre-existing medical condition) it is no worse than the normal flu.

You dont know that the mortality rate is .9 %. Still in the early stages. I have heard higher. Dont know where you get over 80's from either.You are now suggesting the death rate is lower than for ordinary flu which is contradictory to current concerns! As we know you can do anything with stats. Its unarguable anyway that this IS more infectious which is what all the fuss is about.

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Evilpilgrim":2pczid8s said:
Anyway, back to the football.

If the season got stopped early I presume the league positions at the point of stoppage would be final? If no play offs were to happen, 4th would effectively become another auto promotion spot and 5th nowhere.

That's easy to say when you're in one of those promotion positions but what about those who might be outside but have games in hand. Would that be fair on them? What about teams in the relegation zone who might feel their six or so remain games will lead them to safety?

I wouldn't presume anything.

Sep 13, 2003
You have to admire the gonads of UEFA to say they are looking at cancelling this months European friendlies and the Euro 2020 playoffs.

Fair enough you may say, however they announced this the same week there were Champions League and Europe League games. If you are that bothered about the virus instead of your wallet Mr Infantino, then postpone the Champions League also!

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
Infection rate is no worse than .0004% of the UK population. It would need an expotential increase to even get to 1%. Thsnk God we didn't have many Matt Hancock's around in 1940! What a dick he is....carry on regardless :thumbup: d

Nov 16, 2006
A close family member was very ill over this winter with pneumonia. I was shocked to discover that in the UK approx 30,000 people die through being infected with pneumonia each year. Approx 220,000 are diagnosed each year.
This creates no panic, life continues as normal.
I would suggest that if the media announced the same statistics for the coronavirus, most would lock the door and never come out,

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
MotoGP has been cancelled this weekend in Quatar. The Moto2 and Moto3 races will go ahead as the teams are already there doing testing, but Ducatti and Aprillia are based in Italy and the teams using these bikes will be quarantined for 2 weeks if they travel.

Ferrari and Alfa Touri are doubtful if they can travel from Italy to Australia for the F1 the following week.

Travelling is becoming a problem in sport so while I donā€™t see an issue with domestic leagues, I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see international competitions cancelled, including the Euros.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
mervyn":2kqs95vo said:
TV News is not helping matters by showing empty shelves in supermarkets already. Iā€™m not sure I share the assumption that domestic sports events wonā€™t be affected if/when this thing starts growing.

Iā€™m sure your right, it will affect domestic sports at some stage, but I think itā€™ll be after the end of season, while international sport is being affected now.

Jul 24, 2009
mervyn":1du35tii said:
TV News is not helping matters by showing empty shelves in supermarkets already. Iā€™m not sure I share the assumption that domestic sports events wonā€™t be affected if/when this thing starts growing.
Agree with this, clearly there are several scenario's for how this may play out but in any of the rougher ones a curtailment of domestic sports must be on the agenda I would have thought. For me that's not an overreaction if we have a disease that is mass spreading, clearly it is an overreaction if we don't. Where you draw the line and make the call is the difficult decision.

Sep 25, 2010
Not a massive string poll.

I sit in the Lyndhurst, and went to the loo, a couple of times last night, and just had a look around, and noticed that a lot of men Did NOT wash their hands last night, which is a bit worrying,

Surely, some posters should go up, and remind people in this current crisis.