Argyle & the coronavirus. Season off to Apr 3 | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle & the coronavirus. Season off to Apr 3

If the coronavirus affects games would you prefer ...

• Games behind closed doors and on iFollow

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Postpone games and play later, maybe May/June

Votes: 80 68.4%

• Total voters

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Old Gunner":3pd4szla said:
I think, as has been already suggested for the Premier League, games will be played behind closed doors. Perhaps a credit note for season ticket holders for next season (in League 1!)
If it did come to that I'd like to think that fans who were in a position to do so would tell the club to keep the refund/credit note. They've still got bills to pay.

Aug 22, 2006
Didn't know there were so many experts here but at the same time people who hadn't thought about any of this logically.

If the governments and media said nothing, absolutely nothing, and you catch it? What then? You might be unlucky as you value cleanliness. I guarantee you that a lot of people don't bother about that sort of thing. But anyway. Who knows maybe they've listened to the advice and it will minimalize the spread (anything wrong with that btw?)

So what happens when you get quite ill. Flu. Ordinarily I wouldn't bother going to the doctors as I don't want to be a burden, but flu can be mild or quite nasty to the point where you may want to seek help. These days I have a flu jab as it's advised to if you are asthmatic. But let's say they haven't made one of those yet. What if you also have a small bit of doubt and you think you may have this virus, that it's relatively new and we don't exactly know the ins and outs of it (how do we know it doesn't effect other parts of your system long term, or worse if you are a child?) What happens when you turn up and find out because no one in the media, or the governments or people in healthcare warned you about this virus and you find out there are hundreds of people also waiting to be seen at the doctors or the hospitals because the virus easily spread? What happens then? I tell you what happens. You'll be the first to moan at the already battered NHS (largely thanks to Boris and his predecessors) about not being seen on time. The absolute nerve. Who knows what will happen then because i'm fairly sure that at the moment survival rates are partly because patients are getting seen to and looked after. If too many people get it then we will get needless deaths. I know many of the deaths have been linked with old people who already have an underlying illness, but come on! Surely in that case you wouldn't want to die from "flu" that could have at least been contained until a vaccination is found.

I work on a league that's been effected the most. It's crazy and there's a lot of doubt and uncertainty, it's madness but it's unprecedented. Hopefully it is over the top and it probably is, but surely it's better to be over the top than to underplay it? Surely it's better if LESS people get it, especially a massive group of people all at once before a vaccination is available?

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Lundan Cabbie":1fw2dkkb said:
Old Gunner":1fw2dkkb said:
I think, as has been already suggested for the Premier League, games will be played behind closed doors. Perhaps a credit note for season ticket holders for next season (in League 1!)

So we all go to watch in pubs and catch it there :crazy:

You go Lundan...although be careful...if anything happens to you it would half the Palace support ;)

Apr 9, 2011
Just wondering what would be the scenario at a club if as seems quite likely a member of staff/player is tested positive for the virus. As government guide lines stand this presumably would mean the whole club would have to shut down for 2 weeks "self isolation??"

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Banning handshakes in football & rugby but still playing 90/80 minutes of contact sport doesn’t really track logically and medically.

Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
The threat to Argyle (and all lower league clubs) is not the virus itself, but the knock on effects it has.

As a % of income, about 60% of Argyles come from Ticket sales.

Following a mild case of hysteria, at best attendances take a knock as the more risk adverse stay away from games.

Slightly worse and the EFL are forced to postpone for a period (2-4 weeks) and extend the season. A temporary loss like this could finish some clubs already on the brink. E.G Southend, Macclesfield etc.

Worst case, either the league is not completed or is forced to complete behind closed doors. In which case no ticket income for anyone, which could wipe out a few clubs. Players still need to be paid.

Fortunately we have Hallett, who im sure wouldn't let that happen to us (although his investment work would also take a hit so who knows). Other clubs might not be so lucky.

So..... even if you don't fear the virus. Fear the hysteria.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
I know I'm a cynic but playing the games anyway but no crowd?
It is supposed to be a spectator sport, an entertainment. If nobody watches it, it shouldn't go ahead ... unless ................. (cynicism alert!) you are looking to appease the worldwide betting industry?? :think:

Apr 4, 2015
just announced a meeting between govt, sporting bodies, broadcasters etc for Monday, I fear the worst and all sport will be either played behind closed doors or cancelled. A complete over reaction imo, pandering to the complete over reaction of the media. Absolutely ridiculous.

May 28, 2019
if they do decide to play behind closed doors, which i got a horrible feeling might happen, ifollow should be aloud for all games and viewing fees going to the home club,