Argyle v Leicester City - the build up | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle v Leicester City - the build up

Who do you think will win?

• The Pilgrims

Votes: 34 19.3%
  • The Foxes

Votes: 89 50.6%
  • It will be a draw

Votes: 53 30.1%

• Total voters

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Reading their forum, they are not happy with Maresca. One comment stood out 'If they press us like Millwall did, they win'.
Clearly a possession based team but seem to struggle against an aggressive press.
Sure we have done our homework on that!
Struggling against an aggressive press has been our undoing as well. Unfortunately, pressing opponents seems to be something we have done in fits and starts. Even during the promotion season we got found out by high-pressing teams. I am not sure that a couple of days can change a mindset and equally, do we have the players to play that way? Of all our remaining games this is our "free hit". But all out attack may allow them to get in behind, something they are really good at. Who would be a coach?

May 19, 2023
Majority of there forum think were going to beat them... lets press them from the off and counter well and we can get something! a point would be great

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Goalkeepers Les Major and Dave Maclaren played for both. In the summer of 1959 we signed a winger cum-centre forward from Newcastle called Bill Wright, who had previously been at Leicester. Wright was a scratch golfer and won the PFA Golf tournament while at Argyle. I remember there being great excitement when the Herald headline was "Billy Wright to join Argyle". Initially, many thought it meant the Billy Wright who had just had his 100th cap for England! Attached is some evidence I found in our Bill Wright's scrapbook, confirming that the two men knew each other.View attachment 14858
Steve I did not know Wright was also a centre forward, did he ever play there for Argyle.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Steve I did not know Wright was also a centre forward, did he ever play there for Argyle.
Yes Mike. In his first interview with the Independent he said he was signed primarily as a centre forward. However, he most played as an outside left. Just 4 of his games at Argyle were as number 9. His League debut for Blackpool and the next game in 1951 saw him play centre forward. Thereafter he played as 11 or 7. At Leicester he never played down the middle but played outside right, inside left and outside left. However, two of his five games for Newcastle were at centre forward. I went to see him at his house in London and his dementia was in its early days. But he told me about a game at Stamford Bridge for Newcastle. "I scored twice that day": he recalled "but we lost 6-5. I was inside left." And then he mentioned a 5-3 home win for Leicester over West Ham when he played outside right but remembered that their centre forward was Arthur Rowley. who scored a hat-trick that day. Then, sadly, I saw the dementia kick in when he said he thought he knew Arthur's brother Jack but couldn't recall from where. Happy Birthday by the way!

IMG_8965.JPG

Dec 30, 2010
I remember when we played Leicester, I think in the league cup in the 60s and I still have Gordon Banks autograph.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Some Lewis Gibson quotes from the presser

Pressure is a good thing. I've got a positive outlook on the games ahead.

"Leicester are trying to win the league possibly, we're expecting a tough game, but we'll be ready for whatever comes."

“I'm pleased [with individual form].

"Every time I pull on the shirt, I give 100% and I'm trying to win."

"It's in our hands. It's where you want it to be.

"The games have been crazy, it's pointless trying to guess the table. You focus on yourself."

"The fans have been brilliant. I can only stress how important it is, home or away, that they keep bringing their voice."

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Some quotes from Neil Dewsnip

We're expecting Leicester to come all gun's blazing. They've got lots of talent.

"We're very respectful, we know the size of the challenge is immense, but we'll give it our best and have a go."

"It's a great opportunity for the football club, and the players to show the country what they can do. Hopefully it's a good experience.

"Everyone is fit and available for the game."

"We need everybody. Every player, every member of staff, every fan.

"If we keep sticking together then hopefully we can achieve our goal."

"We've got a nice harmonious group of staff at the moment, who are working towards our goal of staying in the league."

"The team spirit has been really good all year. The players desperately want to do well for this football club."

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Goalkeepers Les Major and Dave Maclaren played for both. In the summer of 1959 we signed a winger cum-centre forward from Newcastle called Bill Wright, who had previously been at Leicester. Wright was a scratch golfer and won the PFA Golf tournament while at Argyle. I remember there being great excitement when the Herald headline was "Billy Wright to join Argyle". Initially, many thought it meant the Billy Wright who had just had his 100th cap for England! Attached is some evidence I found in our Bill Wright's scrapbook, confirming that the two men knew each other.View attachment 14858
I had forgotten that Billy Wright had gone on to manage at Arsenal. When our family first had TV in the 50's and I was able to watch the Wolverhampton edition, I was struck by his lack of height as compared to the likes of Van Dyke, Dan Scarr, or Rio Ferdinand in his day, but he had a great leap off a standing start. I recall him marrying one of those 3 attractive sisters, who made a name for themselves as a singing trio. Anyhow, I hope she got her addresses correct when she sent out her Valentine cards!

Reactions: memory man

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
I had forgotten that Billy Wright had gone on to manage at Arsenal. When our family first had TV in the 50's and I was able to watch the Wolverhampton edition, I was struck by his lack of height as compared to the likes of Van Dyke, Dan Scarr, or Rio Ferdinand in his day, but he had a great leap off a standing start. I recall him marrying one of those 3 attractive sisters, who made a name for themselves as a singing trio. Anyhow, I hope she got her addresses correct when she sent out her Valentine cards!
Joy, from The Beverley Sisters.

Reactions: Bovey Green lady

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Same with goalkeepers. Eddie Hopkinson of Bolton and our own Geff Barnsley were not that tall. Hodgkinson of Sheffield United perhaps another.