Argyle's Greatest Team? Goalkeeper nominations | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle's Greatest Team? Goalkeeper nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2005
South Devon
www.pafc.co.uk
Coming back to my vote, Crudgie - his devotion to the green cause & commitment to the club arguably - arguably mind - outstrips Ro's latter day astonishing achievements.

He also played during something of a transition phase for keepers where he experienced a lot of physical 'robustness' against him during the first half of his career with protection creeping in over the latter.

A quietly spoken true gent who also achieved a testomonial & came back to serve the club in all sorts of ways over the last decade or so.

I also remember a home game in (I think) the early 80's when he was the only fit keeper on our books & burnt his body horribly at home before the match.

As the only fit keeper, he kept it quiet, bandaged himself up & went on to play a stormer.

Oct 20, 2011
For me it was Dave McLaren, with Alan Nicholls the one likeliest to have achieved most in the game if he had lived and held himself together mentally. Alan Miller was a loanee only, but his excellent 3 months for Argyle as an 18 year-old suggested he would have gone on to much greater things than he did. I also thought very highly of Jim Furnell, and we've had a lot of good ones down the years - I go back to Bill Shortt, when I was little.

Nov 2, 2004
Difficult,a toss up between Barron and Romain.Flipped and Romain gets it.Bit surprised that Miller is getting votes,he only played a few games and did not have a great career.Barron,Hodges,Furnell etc all had better careers than Miller.

Melbourne Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jul 12, 2005
Romain Larrieu for me for his world-class saves and his general demeanour.

I loved Crudgie, Miller and Nicholls as well, but the Flying Frenchman is my pick.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
:scarf: Jim Furnell for me, good all round game, lots of character and personality, loved watching Jim bicker with the Devonport End.

Best keeper in our memory or best of all time?

Bill Shortt was well before all of our times but has to be the best. He was part of one of the best Argyle teams of all time with Astall, Govan, Dews, Tadman & Jumbo Chisholm etc. Won 10 caps for wales as the team drew attention of the international managers, Astall also played for Scotland.
Stayed Argyle No1 for 10 years and was the first Argyle player to own the Golden Hind pub i think??

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Good to see so many mentions of Dave Maclaren, now just 5 days short of his 78th birthday and living in Australia. During the 1961-62 season, when Argyle so nearly made it to the First Division, he was immense. The Board minutes of the day show that the Scotland selectors sought a ticket to watch Argyle during that season. With due respect to George Robertson, Bryce Fulton and Jim McAnearney, Dave Maclaren was the likeliest target. Of the ones I have seen he would get my vote, but I did miss Bill Shortt by a few years. When I spoke to him recently he reminded me that goalkeeping was in his blood. His brother Jim played for Chester and Carlisle, his brother Roy played for Bury and Sheffield Wed and a third brother Bernard (Monty) was on Liverpool's books early in the Shankly era, but was kept out of the side first by Jim Furnell and then by Tommy Lawrence.

A

agentgreen

We have had some great keepers down the years , but from earliest memory it would be Furnell or Ramsbottom. Later years it would have to be Miller, Nicholls , Stockdale or
McCormick. My dad said his vote would go to Pat Dunne.

Status
Not open for further replies.