Argyle's Greatest Team? Goalkeeper nominations | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle's Greatest Team? Goalkeeper nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Pafcintheplace":3588o0fq said:
Nova Green":3588o0fq said:
It has to be Jim Furnell. Vital says so and we know they are always right :)
http://www.plymouth.vitalfootball.co.uk ... sp?a=48633

Which is based on a Pasoti webpoll presumably, which is what the author is trying to rinse and repeat again a few years later, should get another few hits and £'s

Nice.

You presume wrong. ;)
That was 5 years ago, this is PASOTI and it's close season when nothing much happens but it's generated 5 pages worth of discussion.

Apr 5, 2008
Plymouth
My vote would have to be for Alan Nicholls, edging Romain. If Nicholls had Ro's attitude and application, we can only speculate how his career would have gone, but he was clearly capable of becoming an England regular.

A

Argyle777

No brainer..... Sir Alan Nicholls R.I.P. (sir you were the business)

Feb 18, 2009
Plymouth
bodspafc":r8oznwqh said:
Argyle-sy":r8oznwqh said:
Dickie Moyle":r8oznwqh said:
greengenes":r8oznwqh said:
Alan Miller . There was one save he made where he twisted and sort of changed direction in mid air I'll never forget . Anyone else recall it ?

Against Everton FA CUP Round 4, 1-1 draw at Home Park. Save from Stuart McCall, was picked out on that evenings Match of the Day as potentially the save of the competition and although I agreed with the assessment it was made by Bob Wilson who was Alan Miller's Goalkeeping Coach at Arsenal, biased much.

And although he may have only been a Green for three months is also my choice as best keeper.

Can remember it well, One of the greatest saves I have ever seen and up there with Gordon Banks save against Brazil.

Didn't he do another 'wonder save' too? Think it might have been against Oldham - Andy Ritchie? Shot was going into the top corner and he somehow tipped it over. My memory isn't great though - might be getting mixed up a bit!
Oh thank God for that post bods. I thought I was going mad there for a moment. It was against Oldham and was way, way better than the Everton save. The only reason that save (Everton) is talked about so much is because it was televised. Still a great save mind.
The one against Oldham was from Andy Ritchie and it was one of those things where you stand gobsmacked for a few seconds thinking 'Did I really just see that'. The greatest save I have ever witnessed live. It really did rival 'The' Gordon Banks save of the early 70's in my opinion.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
pilgrim74":1l0z9zpn said:
In my time as a young argyle an it was alan miller and crudgie for me. Greengenes the save miller made was at home to everton in the f.a. cup i was there and had never seen a save like that before.
Anyone got a link to utube or ?????

I'll go with big Jim F - he was very commanding :nworthy:

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Pilgrimfather":19tyr8z1 said:
Rab Douglas - we never lost when he played pmsl. Seriously, Alan Nicholls followed by Jim Furnell.
:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:
Same as me really - my sons play cricket for St Gluvias in Penryn and some years back I had taken them to Bottalack (be careful there - 8 fingers on 3 hands) and was sat in my deck chair and a load of whites were thrown at me with ''you're playing''

Played 1 with 1 run not out - never out playing for St Gl. :thumbs:

Apr 9, 2009
Mutley
Would be Miller but he was only on loan so I'll go for Nicholls.

Wilmot a close second - he got absolutely shafted by that idiot Shilton who put his own ego above the needs of the team.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I have always thought that Argyle has been well blessed by keepers down the seasons notwithstanding the fact that they occupied the goal during some periods when the club was in the lower leagues. I always thought that Pat Dunne was a great keeper and his pedigree speaks for itself in the fact he left Man Utd for Argyle, when the great Harry Gregg was master of Old Trafford. Crudgie too, of course was also ex-Man Utd but came to Argyle via Swansea. The other 2 on my list are Miller [loan] and Rhys Wilmot both came from Arsenal. I think the fact that these 4 keepers were on Man U's and Arsenal's books is an indication of real quality. One other keeper at Argyle, who was excellent was Milija Aleksic, who was signed from non-League, but who left Home Park for Luton Town and finally the top division with Spurs. He was only displaced at Spurs by Ray Clemence, who at the time was just about alternating with Shilton as England's keeper

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Wouldn't even consider Miller who was just a short term loanee. First keeper i saw was McClaren who was very good, lots of promising and very good young keepers who went on to better things like Aleksic, Hodges and Barron. Surprised Alan Nicholls is getting so many votes, is a touch of sentiment creeping in perhaps? Undoubted talent yet to be fully fulfilled and never was sadly, he was also a bit of a loose cannon so I would rule him out. For me it would have to be big Jim Furnell, long service, big and commanding and starred in the Mariner/Rafferty promotion team.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Miljia Aleksic

Lesmin

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor