Barry Fry. “Peterborough have been cheated” | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Barry Fry. “Peterborough have been cheated”

May 5, 2006
Weighted means that home and away ppg are treated separately and then added together to give a final points total for 46 games rather than simply ppg based on all games played so far.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
I doubt any of us are going to lose a wink of sleep over it but regardless of what anyone may think of Barry Fry or Darragh MacAnthony, Peterborough have been seen off.

Weighted ppg would see them in the Play-offs instead of Portsmouth by 0.08 of a point.

Fine margins and all that.

Sep 6, 2006
third earl of jean":1az031da said:
The EFL are trying to make the best of a difficult and far from ideal situation and seem to have done a good job based on todays draft framework. To be completely fair we would feel hard done by in either Peterborough or Tranmere's situation. Doesn't mean I don't think its the right way for things to be resolved but I think it would be hard to swallow.

Tranmere are 3rd bottom. Usually bottom 4 go down as we well know

Mar 29, 2020
If weighted PPG put them above Portsmouth they would be above Portsmouth so why aren’t they then...

Aug 5, 2016
gaspargomez":1h3mqzao said:
If Argyle were in the position of Cheltenham or Exeter, I think the mood on PASOTI would be a bit different than it is now.

No doubt about that.

The unfair thing about this end to the season is the fact every team had a different run in. The points accrued to this point had been against different teams to one another. The table is only fair after the 46th match when every team has played every other club twice.

Stopping the season now just doesn't feel right, if we were in and around the playoff places it would feel very unfair.

Mar 29, 2020
If Argyle were 5th I would just accept we are in the Playoffs.....if we were 10th I would still accept it....as we are 3rd I’m accepting we are promoted.....every League 2 fan has just got deal with it.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Kersie":1iwibw7a said:
If weighted PPG put them above Portsmouth they would be above Portsmouth so why aren’t they then...
They aren’t going to use weighted ppg, try and keep up.

If they had, Peterborough would be 5th on 74.92 points and Wycombe 6th on 74.71 points, with Portsmouth missing out on the Play-offs in 7th place on 74.63 points.

Wycombe also benefited from having a game in hand to boost their ppg. However, it was an away match at Coventry which was postponed in January because Coventry were still in the FA Cup. The re-arranged fixture was scheduled for the week after the lock down started. Who knows how that game might have ended but on form, an away win would have been unlikely. So their average ppg would have dropped a few points and probably put Peterborough in the top 6.

Sep 6, 2006
Kersie":8nkxil6x said:
If Argyle were 5th I would just accept we are in the Playoffs.....if we were 10th I would still accept it....as we are 3rd I’m accepting we are promoted.....every League 2 fan has just got deal with it.

Thanks for that Einstein.

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":1pg6rld7 said:
gaspargomez":1pg6rld7 said:
If Argyle were in the position of Cheltenham or Exeter, I think the mood on PASOTI would be a bit different than it is now.

No doubt about that.

The unfair thing about this end to the season is the fact every team had a different run in. The points accrued to this point had been against different teams to one another. The table is only fair after the 46th match when every team has played every other club twice.

Stopping the season now just doesn't feel right, if we were in and around the playoff places it would feel very unfair.

Obviously. So you think it would be fairer to null and void? :crazy:

May 8, 2011
Balham_Green":2yryyaba said:
Knibbsworth":2yryyaba said:
gaspargomez":2yryyaba said:

No doubt about that.

Yes, with 9 or 10 games there are too many points to play for to predict how the table will have looked like after 46 games.
As an example last season in League 1, after 37 games of the four teams in the relegation places only one actually got relegated. Two of the teams that did get relegated were mid table at the point.
I can understand Tranmere’s point of view as the financial and career implications based on an arbitrary guess of what might happen is huge.

Mar 29, 2020
I get it but there’s still a lot on here that don’t....especially the one’s that don’t think we’re up yet....einstein

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
third earl of jean":2k3w5wxi said:
The EFL are trying to make the best of a difficult and far from ideal situation and seem to have done a good job based on todays draft framework. To be completely fair we would feel hard done by in either Peterborough or Tranmere's situation. Doesn't mean I don't think its the right way for things to be resolved but I think it would be hard to swallow.

This

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
HC Green":lcv8ql7x said:
Balham_Green":lcv8ql7x said:
Knibbsworth":lcv8ql7x said:
gaspargomez":lcv8ql7x said:

No doubt about that.

Yes, with 9 or 10 games there are too many points to play for to predict how the table will have looked like after 46 games.
As an example last season in League 1, after 37 games of the four teams in the relegation places only one actually got relegated. Two of the teams that did get relegated were mid table at the point.
I can understand Tranmere’s point of view as the financial and career implications based on an arbitrary guess of what might happen is huge.
I realise that Argyle’s likely promotion will come as a bitter disappointment to you, particularly as Lowe will have achieved in 1 season what it took Derek 2 seasons to achieve. It’s easy to see why you are so keen to see the season declared null and void.

In response to the point you are trying to make, the EFL are not predicting how the table would have been after 46 games; the season has been terminated at 36/37 games. In very difficult circumstances, my only issue is the non-use of weighted ppg.

I for one will not feel guilty about Argyle taking the place of teams who have been in the bottom 4 virtually all season, bearing in mind it’s normally 4 teams who get relegated from League 1, so another team has had a massive let off this season.

You appear to think that it would be be much fairer if Bolton (21 points adrift and 5 wins all season ) and Southend (16 points adrift and 4 wins all season) were let off being relegated. In the history of League Football, you would struggle to find 2 teams more deserving of relegation.

The likes of Wimbledon and 1 or 2 others can count themselves very lucky whilst Tranmere can justifiably feel somewhat disappointed, as most relegated teams usually do. They will look back at numerous ‘if only’ moments during the season, as we know ourselves only too well from last season; that’s football I suppose.

But the fact remains that Tranmere have struggled all season and are probably going to pay the price.