Barry Fry. “Peterborough have been cheated” | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Barry Fry. “Peterborough have been cheated”

May 8, 2011
The teams that I am disappointed for amongst many are South Shields, Jersey Bulls and Truro City.
Wouldn’t it be wonderful if there was a consistent approach across all English football.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Fully agree, I cannot understand why the National League took the decision to shut down so soon.

I feel very sorry for Truro and Wotton in particular.

I regularly visit South Shields so I know the area and the people up there and I feel for them as well, they have been very badly treated.

The way these 3 teams have been so very badly treated demonstrates how voiding the season is so obviously more unfair than early termination and using average ppg to determine promotion and relegation.

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
Some back of the fag packet maths here (even though I don't smoke) :

Unweighted :

Posh 70.8
WW 72.0

Weighted H & A :

Posh 71.5
WW 70.3

I reckon the weighted version is fairer so would consider Peterborough hard done bay but find their chairman rather up himself so hey ho never mind.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
In a weighted League 1 table both Peterborough and Wycombe make the Play-offs.

However, Portsmouth would miss out by 0.08 of a point.

Jun 7, 2006
bristolmac":3v7wre7n said:
As much as I haven't liked the way Peterborough have conducted themselves during this, I really can't understand why weighted ppg was not used as the standard. It seems the fairest of 2 unperfect systems. Home and away form is a factor of football that is well recognised and often discussed.
Weighted PPG means the EFL are predicting results which is not in the EFL rulebook. Ending the season early can be done as EFL rules state the season ends 'after the last game has been played'. Non weighted PPG makes no assumptions about future performance and basically ends the season as it is now.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
demportdave":1ge84g13 said:
In a weighted League 1 table both Peterborough and Wycombe make the Play-offs.

However, Portsmouth would miss out by 0.08 of a point.

I vote for that then :greensmile: :greensmile:

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Wango":281pzcaj said:
bristolmac":281pzcaj said:
As much as I haven't liked the way Peterborough have conducted themselves during this, I really can't understand why weighted ppg was not used as the standard. It seems the fairest of 2 unperfect systems. Home and away form is a factor of football that is well recognised and often discussed.
Weighted PPG means the EFL are predicting results which is not in the EFL rulebook. Ending the season early can be done as EFL rules state the season ends 'after the last game has been played'. Non weighted PPG makes no assumptions about future performance and basically ends the season as it is now.
You are wrong to say that weighted ppg is predicting results.

Neither weighted average ppg or mean average ppg makes predictions or assumptions. The season is terminated at 36/37 games and the averages are determined from the results of the actual games played.

Calculated averages to date are not predictions of future games that will never be played.

If you want to go down that route, you may as well bring back the old Pools Panel and whilst they’re at it, get them to explain how Sunderland couldn’t even manage a draw against a team that had barely won a game in months. I’m so glad that they are missing out again, sad but true.

Rant over and back to the point. For all teams, their home average ppg is significantly higher than their away average and the crucial difference with weighted ppg is that it takes that all-important fact into account.

So in a 37-game season where you might have played 19 home games, mean average ppg gives you an advantage over a team who have played 19 away games instead.

Portsmouth have played 19 home games, Peterborough have played 19 away games.

By using mean average ppg, the extra home game is enough to put Portsmouth in the Play-offs at the expense of Peterborough.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Spreadsheet maths, I think.

Current positions:-

Coventry 67
Rotherham 62
Oxford 60
Portsmouth 60
Fleetwood 60
Peterborough 59
Sunderland 59
Wycombe 59

Straight PPG:-

Coventry 1.971
Rotherham 1.771
Wycombe 1.735
Oxford 1.714
Portsmouth 1.714
Fleetwood 1.714
Peterborough 1.686
Sunderland 1.639

Weighted PPG:-

Oxford 1.971
Rotherham 1.770
Oxford 1.725
Fleetwood 1.704
Peterborough 1.703
Wycombe 1.698
Portsmouth 1.696
Sunderland 1.618

So, it’s Portsmouth or Peterborough in playoffs with Sunderland out of the running.
Good luck Pompey!!!

Jan 27, 2012
Playing the remaining League One fixtures would jeorpardise the future of the smaller clubs in that division, many of which are going to struggle to survive this crisis. The only realistic alternative is for the EFL to void the whole season- in which case Peterborough would still remain in League One anyway.

From a legal point of view, I would have thought it would have been safer for EFL to void the 2019/20 season but they have apparently taken the decison not to do that. Peterborough and Sunderland may have a reasonable case if they took the EFL to court, but maybe these clubs would be better off taking it on the chin and concentratring on next season. They would do English football a big favour, and at least they would have certainty moving forward.

But if they did take the EFL to court and won, what would that mean for the 2020/21 season ?

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
gaspargomez":pyr8417l said:
Playing the remaining League One fixtures would jeorpardise the future of the smaller clubs in that division, many of which are going to struggle to survive this crisis. The only realistic alternative is for the EFL to void the whole season- in which case Peterborough would still remain in League One anyway.

From a legal point of view, I would have thought it would have been safer for EFL to void the 2019/20 season but they have apparently taken the decison not to do that. Peterborough and Sunderland may have a reasonable case if they took the EFL to court, but maybe these clubs would be better off taking it on the chin and concentratring on next season. They would do English football a big favour, and at least they would have certainty moving forward.

But if they did take the EFL to court and won, what would that mean for the 2020/21 season ?

Lundan Cabbie has mentioned in the past that there is a clause in the entry rules which means that any club taking legal action against the league will be expelled. Can anyone confirm this?

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
In the lead-up to the Divisional meetings, a number of teams postured, posed and even threatened in order to try and influence the outcome, particularly Peterborough.

No doubt some Clubs sought legal advice regarding a possible challenge to an unsatisfactory outcome.

However, when push comes to shove, there will be a lot of anger and frustration but I will be very surprised if any of it actually ends up in Court.

‘Throwing good money after bad’ is an old saying that comes to mind.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
I see in this morning’s Telegraph, the Tranmere chairman is talking about legal action if they are relegated. Good luck with that mate. No sympathy with them. Worst pitch in the EFL, plus Karma for their fan who was on here trying to wind us all up about Mayor.

I suppose nearly every season, there is at least one club in the EFL which either escapes relegation or gets promotion right at the death, against all odds. Not this season though. I always felt Argyle would get promoted this season in the normal way and thought we might even be champions, even though there were plenty on here and elsewhere who were very negative about the prospects. Ryan Lowe and his staff have done an amazing job with their so-called 'tippy tappy football' which was never going to get us promoted. Argyle are lucky to have one of the most up and coming managers in the EFL and the job will be keeping him if we have further success next season.

Mar 29, 2020
Sunderland should be even further back on points because they have played 2 games more than Wycombe and 1 more than the other 6.