Ben Reeves | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ben Reeves

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Why sign him in the 1st place- was RL hoping to mould him into his rigid playing style- if so why did he not play him more often or was it a panic signing because he was a free transfer & was one of the last players to be signed in the summer baring the loanees

Square pegs round holes come to mind & i dont think RL has truly identified the type of player who will be successful in is rigid playing style- sometimes i think the total reliance on data analytics clouds the judgement of the recruitment team- spreadsheets are not the player in the flesh

If they are after perfection they will not find it- it does not exist

I will reserve judgement on this summers recruitment as we will know within the first couple of weeks of next season how the season will pan out with the new crop of players brought in

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
How can we judge our recruitment when we haven’t recruited anyone yet?
With regard to Reeves, no manager has a 100% rate of recruitment success. At least, he was only given a one year contract, as were McLeod and Nouble.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
All managers at all clubs sign a fair amount of players who look good and have proved their worth at other clubs, but for some reason or another just don’t work out. If Lowe is to be condemned for this, then so should every manager who has worked in football.

Aug 8, 2013
PL2 3DQ":1xbqokez said:
I felt sorry for Reeves travelling around the country in difficult times hoping to play 10 minutes at the end of a game, for an experienced player it must have been frustrating for him. He made the fifth highest amount of sub appearances in League One.

That said, it was a Covid season and last summer Lowe had to have more squad fillers than usual and all managers do make signings that for different reasons don't work out (Sean Evers).

I remember the previous Argyle manager signing Lionel Ainsworth, Gregg Wylde second time, Simon Church, Paul Paton, Daniel Nardiello, Karleigh Osborne, Paul Paton and David Ijaha all who hardly played. It happens.

You've got quite the memory, Posty. I'd pretty much forgotten all of that lot !

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Gary S":29u4qhsf said:
PL2 3DQ":29u4qhsf said:
I felt sorry for Reeves travelling around the country in difficult times hoping to play 10 minutes at the end of a game, for an experienced player it must have been frustrating for him. He made the fifth highest amount of sub appearances in League One.

That said, it was a Covid season and last summer Lowe had to have more squad fillers than usual and all managers do make signings that for different reasons don't work out (Sean Evers).

I remember the previous Argyle manager signing Lionel Ainsworth, Gregg Wylde second time, Simon Church, Paul Paton, Daniel Nardiello, Karleigh Osborne, Paul Paton and David Ijaha all who hardly played. It happens.

You've got quite the memory, Posty. I'd pretty much forgotten all of that lot !

Or research, perhaps, but equally good!

Jul 12, 2016
GreenThing":3sfn8coa said:
All managers at all clubs sign a fair amount of players who look good and have proved their worth at other clubs, but for some reason or another just don’t work out. If Lowe is to be condemned for this, then so should every manager who has worked in football.
You are missing the point. Lowe is for ever telling us about the data led meticulous planning involved before any new player is signed. When Reeves didn't work out he didn't suit our style!
Lowe also triesto fit square pegs in round holes which to a certain extent defeats the whole object.

Dec 30, 2020
For every club at every level a proportion of new signings bomb... injuries, form, confidence, motivation, whether the individual settles in and outside the club and works well with the manger/teammates are all hugely unpredictable.

The main lesson with Reeves is that even an obviously decent player with a good career history brought in after a trial period might not necessarily work out.

Unfortunately, we are set for another summer where we have to rebuild the squad more or less from scratch (particularly if Grant, Mayor and Edwards don't re-sign).

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Looked a very good L1 player (especially based on his MK Dons career).

Worth a gamble.

Didn't quite come off.

End of story, really. Happens all the time. And just because Argyle are following a data-driven recruitment policy, doesn't mean that every single player will be signed that way. There'll be room for manager's discretion on a few, which I would guess the Reeves signing comes under.

Plus I think we're yet to see the real fruits of that approach anyway, these things don't happen overnight.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
We once had a player called Reeves
Who had a few tricks up his sleeves
He’s now left Argyle
(did not suit our style)
We wanted a scorer …
… like Greaves.

OK I know. :coat:

I'll start a new thread in The Coffee Bar.

Close season limericks (without gimmericks).

See you there?

C

Cult Of Personality

Always felt he never really got a chance . What could of been

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
oldage":3omgijs6 said:
GreenThing":3omgijs6 said:
You are missing the point. Lowe is for ever telling us about the data led meticulous planning involved before any new player is signed. When Reeves didn't work out he didn't suit our style!
Lowe also triesto fit square pegs in round holes which to a certain extent defeats the whole object.

I’m not missing the point. My point is that you can do all the research and watch players as long as you like but you only find out if a player will fit in when they arrive and play.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Data doesn't tell you everything, in the same way scouting doesn't. That's why the two are used in conjunction... except for when we're in the middle of a pandemic and are limited in scouting ability.

I'm not sure why people are so skeptical of recruitment supported by data? We could've just as easily scouted a player for a couple games who had a great patch of form and it turned out he wasn't actually very good. The data provides larger samples to consider and should be used to support scouting we do in person, whether that be us scouting a player because the data looks good, or whether we see a player stand out in a game and want to review the data from him over a large period. It's called due diligence, being responsible with our recruitment.

Reeves, in my opinion, was a depth signing, hence why he was trialled late in the window. He was worth a go because he had league one pedigree, was good enough for this level and Lowe probably considered he was good enough to be able to fit our style. As it turned out, the fit wasn't right. When he played he didn't do enough to warrant a starting position over Mayor or Camara, who have largely been good this season. It happens. The important thing is we learn from that and ensure new recruits who come in do fit our style better, in the way that Panutche Camara and Niall Ennis have, for example.

Aug 5, 2016
HC Green":1btaei2j said:
Lowe said: "Reevesy is a fantastic footballer, a lovely person, a great lad to have around but didn't suit my style."

Football or clothes?

If football why didn’t the data analysis and fantastic recruitment process pick that up?

We should go back to the days of signing Lionel Ainsworth and Greg Wylde, giving them two year contracts and not bringing them off the bench at all.

Like the good old days before data analytics.