Blissett off to Macclesfield | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Blissett off to Macclesfield

justanotherfan

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
X Isle":1i5qq9sc said:
McQ":1i5qq9sc said:
But that's fine with no injuries. We can't go for half a season with 1 recognised striker. The rest are fill ins. We have let 3 strikers go. That has to mean at least 1 coming in surely.
Indeed, with emphasis on the 'at least 1'. There may only be one starting place for a recognised striker in this formation but if this season has taught us anything you might need cover, and lots of it...there's only one starting place for goalie too and we've needed plenty of them :shock:

Sums up the present situation to a tee.

Mar 8, 2016
LeonTheGreen":273t3hfm said:
gaspargomez":273t3hfm said:
Argyle wont pay transfer fees like their main competitors, so we are probably in the market for released players, loanees or those who are out of contract this month. There could be some good loanee players available, but any permanent signings are most likely those deemed not good enough by their current clubs. However, they might be good enough for Argyle's needs.

We paid a fee for Blissett, paid compensation for Edwards (fee unknown) paid money for Banton and Matt Parsons, and also Steve MacLean. Only one of them has really been a success. Spending money doesn't guarantee you a good player. I'd take Taylor over Blissett anyday, as would you, and we got him for free.

Thatā€™s just one example though, we paid money for buzasky and no fee was paid for Sarcevic, whoā€™s the better player?? The point heā€™s making is we are always looking for players that are down the pecking order at there current club. We have other clubs in our own league trying to take our best players. Thatā€™s the difference and the difficulty derek Adams is working under. Fortunately we have a manager that seems to be very good at finding good players on the cheap.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Army green":1os5t2l0 said:
LeonTheGreen":1os5t2l0 said:
gaspargomez":1os5t2l0 said:
Argyle wont pay transfer fees like their main competitors, so we are probably in the market for released players, loanees or those who are out of contract this month. There could be some good loanee players available, but any permanent signings are most likely those deemed not good enough by their current clubs. However, they might be good enough for Argyle's needs.

We paid a fee for Blissett, paid compensation for Edwards (fee unknown) paid money for Banton and Matt Parsons, and also Steve MacLean. Only one of them has really been a success. Spending money doesn't guarantee you a good player. I'd take Taylor over Blissett anyday, as would you, and we got him for free.

Thatā€™s just one example though, we paid money for buzasky and no fee was paid for Sarcevic, whoā€™s the better player?? The point heā€™s making is we are always looking for players that are down the pecking order at there current club. We have other clubs in our own league trying to take our best players. Thatā€™s the difference and the difficulty derek Adams is working under. Fortunately we have a manager that seems to be very good at finding good players on the cheap.

You canā€™t really compare players from different eras and circumstances because I suppose if you could, you could mention Peter Swan how was and is our record signing ever who didnā€™t want to be here so was shiter than a poo thing playing poo in a decent side.

Feb 2, 2007
Derekā€™s one and only signing for cash to a club will leave for nada. Therefore donā€™t sign anyone else for money, itā€™s not a good success rate.

Mar 8, 2016
Ok fair enough, the post by gaspargomez is still right about what area of the transfer market we are looking at, i.e loans, realeased players. Coming back saying we payed a fee for blissett is a poor one, I could have paid that fee. We canā€™t compete with the a lot of teams in this league financialy, we will be lucky if we donā€™t lose one or two of our best players to league rivals. We are not a big club at this level anymore.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Well, thatā€™s Monday of the what is it! 2nd or 3rd week of the transfer window and frankly, iā€™ve lost track of how many have left, how many are linked to someone else and how many are still with us. Iā€™m emboldened though to know that soon I will be roasted for being too impatient and that the club only announces incoming on Thursdays and no doubt the added chorus of ā€œweā€™re not playing until Saturday so whatā€™s the rushā€.

The rush for me is that whether right or wrong I want to see someone willing to join our mid-table/ looking at a run to the playoffs club before we start getting so desperate that weā€™ll long for the halcyon days of wishing that Nadir Ciftci might get a place on the bench again.

Jul 3, 2013
I recall a player about 10 years ago who couldnā€™t get much of a look in and we farmed him out to a couple of non league clubs on loan before joining a team called Brighton.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Don't quite get the obsession among some fans with transfer fees. As others have said the fee does not determine the ability of the player; more often than not its the wages that align with a player's ability so I'd much rather more money was available there.

I think we're actually in quite a privileged position, we are one of a few teams with money to burn who aren't throwing the kitchen sink at survival or relegation. Anyone setting more money aside teams to be desperate and need to act fast, we on the other hand can sit back and watch things unfold. As the month goes on more teams complete their panic buys meanwhile we can bide our time; therefore the closer that window comes to closing the fewer buyers there are to compete with and the twitchier want away players start to get.

Don't panic, don't dive in. We could find a gem simply by being the last buyer in town.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":3kg8gjuu said:
gaspargomez":3kg8gjuu said:

You've done it again. :facepalm:

Blisset cost money.
Like a broken record isn't he!

Looks like he needs to be reminded AGAIN of all of the recent players we've paid fees for:

Ryan Edwards - Admittedly good player
Nathan Blissett - Tried hard but not good enough at this level - woeful first touch. Conference is probably about the right level - that's where we signed him from after all.
Anthony O'Connor - Admittedly good player
Jason Banton - Scored 2 goals in 18 months.
Matt Parsons - legs made of glass.
Paris Cowan-Hall - enough said.
Rory Patterson - enough said.

Meanwhile, just to pick out a few of the players we signed for nothing: Carey, Taylor, Fox, Bradley, McHugh, Hartley, McCormick, Sawyer...

So, come on Brent, get the chequebook out! We've got to throw money at signings!

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Stiffler":uhxspvrw said:
I recall a player about 10 years ago who couldnā€™t get much of a look in and we farmed him out to a couple of non league clubs on loan before joining a team called Brighton.
Blissett is 27. I doubt we're going to see him as a Premier League striker in 10 years time...

May 8, 2011
Ade the green":1wxpifqy said:
Well, thatā€™s Monday of the what is it! 2nd or 3rd week of the transfer window and frankly, iā€™ve lost track of how many have left, how many are linked to someone else and how many are still with us. Iā€™m emboldened though to know that soon I will be roasted for being too impatient and that the club only announces incoming on Thursdays and no doubt the added chorus of ā€œweā€™re not playing until Saturday so whatā€™s the rushā€.

The rush for me is that whether right or wrong I want to see someone willing to join our mid-table/ looking at a run to the playoffs club before we start getting so desperate that weā€™ll long for the halcyon days of wishing that Nadir Ciftci might get a place on the bench again.

So of the starting 11 on Saturday how many would you have dropped, how many of the 7 on the bench wouldnā€™t you have had?

Apr 30, 2015
Dan Ellard":xdv3pqyo said:
IJN":xdv3pqyo said:
gaspargomez":xdv3pqyo said:

You've done it again. :facepalm:

Blisset cost money.
Like a broken record isn't he!

Looks like he needs to be reminded AGAIN of all of the recent players we've paid fees for:

Ryan Edwards - Admittedly good player
Nathan Blissett - Tried hard but not good enough at this level - woeful first touch. Conference is probably about the right level - that's where we signed him from after all.
Anthony O'Connor - Admittedly good player
Jason Banton - Scored 2 goals in 18 months.
Matt Parsons - legs made of glass.
Paris Cowan-Hall - enough said.
Rory Patterson - enough said.

Meanwhile, just to pick out a few of the players we signed for nothing: Carey, Taylor, Fox, Bradley, McHugh, Hartley, McCormick, Sawyer...

So, come on Brent, get the chequebook out! We've got to throw money at signings!

Yes, paying money or not for players seems to have little bearing on whether they turn out to be a success. If you look for them you can readily find examples on either side of the equation.

Interesting you mention PCH. I accept I am very much in the minority on this one (!) but I thought he was a decent player for us. One of the few players at the time who could get us up the pitch and at least look like we might threaten the opposition goal. Yes, he may have had an attitude problem, rubbed his team-mates up the wrong way, and was fond of a dive (probably why Ainsworth now has him at WW), but in my opinion he could play. Then again, I am the person who was convinced during his first season at Chelsea that Didier Drogba wasn't much cop.....

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
HC Green":2rxbaieg said:
So of the starting 11 on Saturday how many would you have dropped, how many of the 7 on the bench wouldnā€™t you have had?

We need a midfielder. In my view of what I've seen so far from Ness and Sarcevic they are not quite the players we need. DA sort of agrees as he brought in Diagouraga although I will take the point that Diagouraga's arrival and departure coincide with Ness's availability (or lack of it). The autumn showed us that our only option to replace Taylor was Jervis (although Grant was never tried there) and he was definitely a second rate option.

Therefore, IMHO, we need 2 players in (although a second midfielder may also be a requirement). From Saturday's squad I wouldn't have started Ness or Sarcevic. That replaced player would drop to the bench and I'd have left Wylde out. The Taylor option would have started on the bench. So the bench would have been: spare 'keeper (Letheren), full back (Miller), centre back (Songo'o), centre midfielder (Ness), attacking midfielders/shape changers (Ainsworth, Jervis), forward (a n other).

As a counter HC take three players out of the starting line-up from Saturday at random and deny that the revised line up with our current squad is significantly inferior. Lack of squad depth is our problem.

May 8, 2011
Mark Pedlar":3jhrza8t said:
HC Green":3jhrza8t said:

We need a midfielder. In my view of what I've seen so far from Ness and Sarcevic they are not quite the players we need. DA sort of agrees as he brought in Diagouraga although I will take the point that Diagouraga's arrival and departure coincide with Ness's availability (or lack of it). The autumn showed us that our only option to replace Taylor was Jervis (although Grant was never tried there) and he was definitely a second rate option.

Therefore, IMHO, we need 2 players in (although a second midfielder may also be a requirement). From Saturday's squad I wouldn't have started Ness or Sarcevic. That replaced player would drop to the bench and I'd have left Wylde out. The Taylor option would have started on the bench. So the bench would have been: spare 'keeper (Letheren), full back (Miller), centre back (Songo'o), centre midfielder (Ness), attacking midfielders/shape changers (Ainsworth, Jervis), forward (a n other).

As a counter HC take three players out of the starting line-up from Saturday at random and deny that the revised line up with our current squad is significantly inferior. Lack of squad depth is our problem.

I would play Jervis, Ainsworth and Songoā€™o.

You are implying that we need to bring in more bench warmers, so is there any need to rush signings, just wait until the right person(s) becomes available and if they donā€™t that is unfortunate but there is enough cover in the squad plus the likes of Battle, Rooney, Sangster and Law that could be used.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
HC Green":77fwzq7f said:
Mark Pedlar":77fwzq7f said:
HC Green":77fwzq7f said:

I would play Jervis, Ainsworth and Songoā€™o.

You are implying that we need to bring in more bench warmers, so is there any need to rush signings, just wait until the right person(s) becomes available and if they donā€™t that is unfortunate but there is enough cover in the squad plus the likes of Battle, Rooney, Sangster and Law that could be used.

Oh thatā€™s okay then. We can go the rest of the season with only 1 striker, no replacement for Toumani and rely on our youth team to keep us in League 1.

Problem solved, well done.