Brief Synopsis - Blackpool | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis - Blackpool

Jul 14, 2008
It’s amazing how people assume that goalkeepers making saves is just down to good luck. Blackpool fans think they were unlucky because Cooper made several good saves - well it’s not bad luck it’s because we have a good keeper which is an important part of any side. Strikers who score goals are lauded, if goalkeepers make saves then the attacking side is apparently unlucky

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Herts_Green":295vmdzz said:
It’s amazing how people assume that goalkeepers making saves is just down to good luck. Blackpool fans think they were unlucky because Cooper made several good saves - well it’s not bad luck it’s because we have a good keeper which is an important part of any side. Strikers who score goals are lauded, if goalkeepers make saves then the attacking side is apparently unlucky

Agreed. There’s absolutely no difference between saying “It’s lucky our keeper made some top saves”, which is frequently said, and “it’s lucky our striker scored some great goals”, which is never said. As I said earlier in the thread, having good players who are performing well isn’t luck. We won today because of our own performance.

Mar 14, 2009
I do wonder if 4-3-3 is sometimes a viable alternative for Lowe.

When teams press us with a 4-3-3 the issue we have is that the opposition teams seems to have better width options than we do. The wing backs against a 4-3-3 system seem to become a little lost as the formation seems to swamp our 3-1-4-2.

Danny Mayor seems to come alive in the wide left wing position. The second half he was our best weapon. I just wonder sometimes if Lowe ever thinks about a 4ATB formation to use from the start of games.

Todsy was a good result.

The positives were definitely the performance of Cooper and Aimson. We need to give Cooper time and patience. The first save he made against CJ Hamilton (the right foot drive that almost went under him) he actually just lost his positioning a little. However, Cooper was immense but there will be little moments like this we need to accept he is learning. Fortunately today it went the right side of the post for us.

Camara was energetic. I liked the way he got around the pitch.

Today we just couldn't get our wing backs involved enough so l will be interested to see as the season unfolds how we adapt because unfortunately the back 3 turned into a back 5 too many times.

People say Blackpool are toothless. I always though a toothless side is one that doesn't even look like creating chances. They certainly had the pace and skill in wide areas to open up teams.

It's a fine 3pts. Like l said its about consolidation this season and hopefully the resilience we seen today is a good sign for the season ahead.

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
Have to say, I thought on more than one occasion thank Christ that Hardie wasn't playing for Blackpool today....

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Metal_Green_Mickey":1l9gmsnm said:

When teams press us with a 4-3-3 the issue we have is that the opposition teams seems to have better width options than we do. The wing backs against a 4-3-3 system seem to become a little lost as the formation seems to swamp our 3-1-4-2.

Danny Mayor seems to come alive in the wide left wing position. The second half he was our best weapon. I just wonder sometimes if Lowe ever thinks about a 4ATB formation to use from the start of games.

Todsy was a good result.

The positives were definitely the performance of Cooper and Aimson. We need to give Cooper time and patience. The first save he made against CJ Hamilton (the right foot drive that almost went under him) he actually just lost his positioning a little. However, Cooper was immense but there will be little moments like this we need to accept he is learning. Fortunately today it went the right side of the post for us.

Today we just couldn't get our wing backs involved enough so l will be interested to see as the season unfolds how we adapt because unfortunately the back 3 turned into a back 5 too many times.

People say Blackpool are toothless. I always though a toothless side is one that doesn't even look like creating chances. They certainly had the pace and skill in wide areas to open up teams.

It's a fine 3pts. Like l said its about consolidation this season and hopefully the resilience we seen today is a good sign for the season ahead.

I did mention that.

I thought Lowe may have gone 4 at the back second half to match pool.

Obviously didn’t but I think if we could have that would have given us more ability on the ball.

Aug 5, 2016
Herts_Green":182tfkzc said:

Reminds me of Brian Clough. John Motson asked him 'do you consider yourself lucky to have Peter Shilton out there for you, he made a number of really fantastic saves today'. Clough replied, "well not really, that's what I pay him to do".

(Paraphrasing off the top of my head).

Sep 6, 2006
Cooper definitely looks a good shot stopper. However I don't remember him coming and collecting one cross. Could cost us at some point.

Sep 6, 2006
ping_g5":w1b5ily4 said:
Have to say, I thought on more than one occasion thank Christ that Hardie wasn't playing for Blackpool today....

You do wonder why they don't want him. They don't seem to have finishers.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Metal_Green_Mickey":3ebkr4gl said:

Todsy was a good result.

Well, that’s probably one of the first match analyses that I have seen from you for a long time when you haven’t mentioned our lack of pace, Mickey.
Do you think that Aimson and Watts will help to solve that perceived problem?

Mar 14, 2009
davie nine":25un4v4k said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":25un4v4k said:

Todsy was a good result.

Well, that’s probably one of the first match analyses that I have seen from you for a long time when you haven’t mentioned our lack of pace, Mickey.

I’ve always liked Aimson. Saw him and immediately thought there is a defender.

I need to see Watts more. He needs games and time.

My concern is/always been if we lose Aimson then suddenly your probably looking at playing either Wootton or Sawyer because Canavan will play in the middle. Unfortunately, as Tuesday shown Sawyer will be torn apart by pace.

You can’t deny last few games QPR, Norwich U21’s and Blackpool have created numerous good opportunities that they didn’t score (plus the ones they did).

I think Aimson is the type of standard of defender you need for us to really progress.

We will get torn apart this season by some teams but it’s a learning curve for this team and Lowe and his staff. I appreciate we play in a manner that allows teams to have a chance of scoring so l think for Argyle to progress it’s more about how they develop as an attacking unit. However, in the long run l think you need to replace Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer with quicker defenders.

Aug 5, 2016
Metal_Green_Mickey":15vgr0c6 said:
davie nine":15vgr0c6 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":15vgr0c6 said:

Todsy was a good result.

I’ve always liked Aimson. Saw him and immediately thought there is a defender.

I need to see Watts more. He needs games and time.

My concern is/always been if we lose Aimson then suddenly your probably looking at playing either Wootton or Sawyer because Canavan will play in the middle. Unfortunately, as Tuesday shown Sawyer will be torn apart by pace.

You can’t deny last few games QPR, Norwich U21’s and Blackpool have created numerous good opportunities that they didn’t score (plus the ones they did).

I think Aimson is the type of standard of defender you need for us to really progress.

We will get torn apart this season by some teams but it’s a learning curve for this team and Lowe and his staff. I appreciate we play in a manner that allows teams to have a chance of scoring so l think for Argyle to progress it’s more about how they develop as an attacking unit. However, in the long run l think you need to replace Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer with quicker defenders.

Mickey, can you write an essay on why CJ Hamilton and his mates are all much faster sprinters than Aimson, Wootton and Watts and yet we didn't concede yesterday?

Oct 14, 2015
C J Hamilton just isn’t a natural goal scorer, he has pace but unless you have composure, technique or ability to put the ball in the net you’re going to miss most of the chances you get. Yeah ok occasionally he’ll put one in but a return of 142 games and 15 goals over 4 seasons for Mansfield isn’t prolific really.