Brief Synopsis - Blackpool | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis - Blackpool

Jun 27, 2019
Which is the point I made about Hamilton prior to the game. Blackpool appear to be trying to use the Man City blueprint of signing quick, skillful forwards and then coaching them to attack the box in numbers, looking to exploit the channels with quick movement and one-touch passing combinations.

The thing is, to make that work you need to be able to fashion and finish chances in limited space - not something League One players will be adept in.

Our goal, on the other hand, was more in-keeping with what you generally see at this level: a quick cross into the box and a striker getting to it before the defender to finish.

Blackpool might click at some point but they might also be one of those teams who have loads of possession but can't score for love nor money.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
An observation from yesterday.

Because most teams now will play a high press, it would make sense to me to play 2 defensive midfielders, rather than one, as it gives Mike Cooper and the 3 CB's more options in playing out from the back.
Too often yesterday we were closed down very quickly, put under pressure, and had to send it long. Nouble won very little in the air, especially in the first half, and we would lose possession against a very mobile and threatening Blackpool side.
Slotting in Grant, Camara or Reeves (when match fit) alongside McLeod would give the defence more protection when not in possession, would give more options when playing out, would potentially allow the wing-backs to push further forward, and would allow Danny Mayor to play more centrally as a 10, and be even more involved in our attacking play.
When Sarcevic was suspended at the end of last season, Conor Grant played deeper alongside Bakinson and we smashed Grimsby and Macclesfield, and they were 2 of our best performances of the season.
Not entirely because of this slight formation change, of course, but it will be interesting to see in our first away League game whether RL plays what could be argued to be 3-2-3-2, or continues with just McLeod in front of the back 3.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Cold light of day, morning after. A good win against a good side but showed clearly the different level we are at. There will be games when the Lowe free flowing, playing through the thirds type game won’t be possible. Because there will be teams with better players who will have significantly more possession. On that note though, the most pleasing aspect was the work off the ball. The shape. The closing down of space etc. Not pretty to watch, but effective. I was worried about the defence. Not so much now. Aimson has to stay fit. He put in as commanding a shift as I've seen in a while and he’s also great at transitioning the ball forward. And Wootton, wow - the most improved player under Lowe. Also shows the quiet benefit of players who have good positional sense and keep structure (Edwards). Other teams would been run ragged. We were not. If I was a Blackpool fan I’d be very disappointed, but we we earned it the hard way.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
WoodsyGreen":i3yr2yhc said:
Which is the point I made about Hamilton prior to the game. Blackpool appear to be trying to use the Man City blueprint of signing quick, skillful forwards and then coaching them to attack the box in numbers, looking to exploit the channels with quick movement and one-touch passing combinations.

The thing is, to make that work you need to be able to fashion and finish chances in limited space - not something League One players will be adept in.

Our goal, on the other hand, was more in-keeping with what you generally see at this level: a quick cross into the box and a striker getting to it before the defender to finish.

Blackpool might click at some point but they might also be one of those teams who have loads of possession but can't score for love nor money.

Interesting stuff Woodsy. Makes you wonder why they let Hardie go really. For all their possession football, they’ve failed to register in three competitive games so far. Meanwhile, Argyle have chalked up six in three. Good start for the greens.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
No, there is no recall clause, thankfully.

Mar 14, 2009
Knibbsworth":1xz5cb23 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1xz5cb23 said:
davie nine":1xz5cb23 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1xz5cb23 said:
I do wonder if 4-3-3 is sometimes a viable alternative for Lowe.

When teams press us with a 4-3-3 the issue we have is that the opposition teams seems to have better width options than we do. The wing backs against a 4-3-3 system seem to become a little lost as the formation seems to swamp our 3-1-4-2.

Danny Mayor seems to come alive in the wide left wing position. The second half he was our best weapon. I just wonder sometimes if Lowe ever thinks about a 4ATB formation to use from the start of games.

Todsy was a good result.

The positives were definitely the performance of Cooper and Aimson. We need to give Cooper time and patience. The first save he made against CJ Hamilton (the right foot drive that almost went under him) he actually just lost his positioning a little. However, Cooper was immense but there will be little moments like this we need to accept he is learning. Fortunately today it went the right side of the post for us.

Camara was energetic. I liked the way he got around the pitch.

Today we just couldn't get our wing backs involved enough so l will be interested to see as the season unfolds how we adapt because unfortunately the back 3 turned into a back 5 too many times.

People say Blackpool are toothless. I always though a toothless side is one that doesn't even look like creating chances. They certainly had the pace and skill in wide areas to open up teams.

It's a fine 3pts. Like l said its about consolidation this season and hopefully the resilience we seen today is a good sign for the season ahead.
Well, that’s probably one of the first match analyses that I have seen from you for a long time when you haven’t mentioned our lack of pace, Mickey.
Do you think that Aimson and Watts will help to solve that perceived problem?

I’ve always liked Aimson. Saw him and immediately thought there is a defender.

I need to see Watts more. He needs games and time.

My concern is/always been if we lose Aimson then suddenly your probably looking at playing either Wootton or Sawyer because Canavan will play in the middle. Unfortunately, as Tuesday shown Sawyer will be torn apart by pace.

You can’t deny last few games QPR, Norwich U21’s and Blackpool have created numerous good opportunities that they didn’t score (plus the ones they did).

I think Aimson is the type of standard of defender you need for us to really progress.

We will get torn apart this season by some teams but it’s a learning curve for this team and Lowe and his staff. I appreciate we play in a manner that allows teams to have a chance of scoring so l think for Argyle to progress it’s more about how they develop as an attacking unit. However, in the long run l think you need to replace Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer with quicker defenders.

Mickey, can you write an essay on why CJ Hamilton and his mates are all much faster sprinters than Aimson, Wootton and Watts and yet we didn't concede yesterday?

Sure.

Cooper and some good fortune.

:thumbup:

Jan 6, 2004
While I am sure we will play better this season, winning that sort of game is more telling for me than an easy win - I thought Blackpool played well. I am cautiously optimistic

Aug 5, 2016
Metal_Green_Mickey":13w7bkp9 said:
Knibbsworth":13w7bkp9 said:
davie nine":13w7bkp9 said:

When teams press us with a 4-3-3 the issue we have is that the opposition teams seems to have better width options than we do. The wing backs against a 4-3-3 system seem to become a little lost as the formation seems to swamp our 3-1-4-2.

Danny Mayor seems to come alive in the wide left wing position. The second half he was our best weapon. I just wonder sometimes if Lowe ever thinks about a 4ATB formation to use from the start of games.

Todsy was a good result.

The positives were definitely the performance of Cooper and Aimson. We need to give Cooper time and patience. The first save he made against CJ Hamilton (the right foot drive that almost went under him) he actually just lost his positioning a little. However, Cooper was immense but there will be little moments like this we need to accept he is learning. Fortunately today it went the right side of the post for us.

Today we just couldn't get our wing backs involved enough so l will be interested to see as the season unfolds how we adapt because unfortunately the back 3 turned into a back 5 too many times.

People say Blackpool are toothless. I always though a toothless side is one that doesn't even look like creating chances. They certainly had the pace and skill in wide areas to open up teams.

It's a fine 3pts. Like l said its about consolidation this season and hopefully the resilience we seen today is a good sign for the season ahead.
Well, that’s probably one of the first match analyses that I have seen from you for a long time when you haven’t mentioned our lack of pace, Mickey.

My concern is/always been if we lose Aimson then suddenly your probably looking at playing either Wootton or Sawyer because Canavan will play in the middle. Unfortunately, as Tuesday shown Sawyer will be torn apart by pace.

You can’t deny last few games QPR, Norwich U21’s and Blackpool have created numerous good opportunities that they didn’t score (plus the ones they did).

I think Aimson is the type of standard of defender you need for us to really progress.

We will get torn apart this season by some teams but it’s a learning curve for this team and Lowe and his staff. I appreciate we play in a manner that allows teams to have a chance of scoring so l think for Argyle to progress it’s more about how they develop as an attacking unit. However, in the long run l think you need to replace Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer with quicker defenders.

Mickey, can you write an essay on why CJ Hamilton and his mates are all much faster sprinters than Aimson, Wootton and Watts and yet we didn't concede yesterday?

Sure.

Nope.
It is because pace doesn’t trump intelligence, ability and talent.

It wasn’t acts of genius from Mike Cooper. They couldn’t place a good shot either side of him (except on one occasion when he was forced into a good save).

If you want pace in the back line, drop Scott Wootton for Dominic Telford. If pace is the key single issue for you, then why not? Bring back Gregg Wylde and put him in the back 3.

Perhaps one day you will see how absurd it is to bang on about the same one topic season after season.

You said Derek Adams’s team wouldn’t get promoted because Bradley, Threlkeld and Sawyer were too slow.
You said Lowe’s lot couldn’t get promoted because Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer had no pace.

Please consider the idea that perhaps there is more to defending than running fast.

Sonny Bradley would walk back into this team and he would be among the very slowest players in the squad.

Mar 14, 2009
Knibbsworth":2vghqgr5 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2vghqgr5 said:
Knibbsworth":2vghqgr5 said:
davie nine":2vghqgr5 said:

Todsy was a good result.

Sure.

Nope.

If you want pace in the back line, drop Scott Wootton for Dominic Telford. If pace is the key single issue for you, then why not?

Perhaps one day you will see how absurd it is to bang on about the same one topic season after season.

You said Derek Adams’s team wouldn’t get promoted because Bradley, Threlkeld and Sawyer were too slow.
You said Lowe’s lot couldn’t get promoted because Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer had no pace. Wrong on both counts.

Please entertain the idea that perhaps there is more to defending than running fast.

Sonny Bradley would walk back into this team and he would be among the very slowest players in the squad.

I tell you what l remember . Telling you the defence was poor under Adams. Telling you how we didn’t tackle as an effective team unit. Telling you it would all end in disaster. Looked what happened.

You come out with your cheap shots about my “essay style” writing and yet by the time Accrington came around your support for Adams crumbled. I remember your reaction after the Accrington game. Too say you took it badly when you realised you were wrong was an understatement.

I got months and months of crap from you telling me l was wrong. In the end it was your judgement on Adams that was wrong.

Now your starting all this crap again. You really don’t learn from past mistakes.

Obviously, you don’t like my style of writing. So let’s just leave it there because to be honest l come on here to debate about Argyle. Good and bad things and unfortunately l seem to wind you up.

Can l just point out before l end this reply though, l’ve been very positive about Lowe. He has been a breath of fresh air. However, if l have concerns then l will voice then. Just like l did under Adams. Doesn’t mean l will be right or wrong. It’s just an opinion I have over the team and only time will tell if l was right to voice my concern. I’m not saying Lowe out. I not saying this is terrible football. I’m just saying for us to improve then more pace at the back maybe needed to move onto the next level (in my opinion).

Sometimes l don’t know what game your watching. As the last 3 games there has been numerous incidents where pace has caused us issues still. Why on earth wouldn’t l mention it when it has lead to guilt edge chances for the opposition? I could always do what you do and stick my head in the sand, like you did with Adams, and just ignore what’s actually going on in matches.

Adams has gone. It’s over. Move on. I have.

Let’s just leave it there, remain respectful of each other as posters. All the best.

Jul 12, 2016
Well said MGM. This site is all about opinions and very often we see things in a different way and post accordingly. I have been called all manner of things on here and unfortunately have failed to rise above it and regretfully retaliated on the spur of the moment .
At the end of the day we all support Argyle

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Metal_Green_Mickey":295oz1gv said:
davie nine":295oz1gv said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":295oz1gv said:

Todsy was a good result.

Mickey, ignoring your debate with Knibbsworth, do you think that there is a chance that, with Aimson and Watts in our central defence on a regular basis, we will be less vulnerable to pacy attackers?
I thought that we looked far more mobile on Saturday.

Aug 28, 2015
argyle.life
A little look at the young prospects on show in Saturday's win...

Young stars shine in Blackpool victory

In the main, Argyle had two 20-year-olds to thank for their opening day victory. Encouragingly, they aren’t the only young prospects who could have a say in Argyle’s fortunes across the next year and beyond. And after around a decade of academy neglect under the likes of John Sheridan and Derek Adams, that’s a project we can all get behind.

Read more > Argyle.Life

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":21cexh11 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":21cexh11 said:
Knibbsworth":21cexh11 said:
davie nine":21cexh11 said:

Todsy was a good result.

Sure.

Nope.

It wasn’t acts of genius from Mike Cooper. They couldn’t place a good shot either side of him (except on one occasion when he was forced into a good save).

If you want pace in the back line, drop Scott Wootton for Dominic Telford. If pace is the key single issue for you, then why not? Bring back Gregg Wylde and put him in the back 3.

You said Lowe’s lot couldn’t get promoted because Wootton, Canavan and Sawyer had no pace.

Please consider the idea that perhaps there is more to defending than running fast.

Agreed. The problem with MGM is he bangs on about the same issue week after week(at length). He may have been right re. Adams (he wasn't the only one)but he wasn't right last season(every week saying we weren't good enough) wont admit it and even a broken clock is correct twice a day. He mentions about the defence being caught out by pace on Saturday. I don't remember it. They got behind us once 1 on 1 with Cooper due to being completely exposed by the Midfield. Teams will create chances, even score against us(shock horror) especially as we play attacking football but we had a good record last season defensively and we have just conceded 2 goals in 2 games against decent sides.