Brief Synopsis (Blackpool) | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis (Blackpool)

Mar 14, 2009
GreenThing":2a8q3xww said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2a8q3xww said:
GreenThing":2a8q3xww said:
I think the player who didn’t fall over was Jephcott.

What do you suggest a defender should do? Let the attacker run into the box because if he tries to defend he’s open to a dive?

Well we seen what attempting to challenge from behind does. The way that football is played today lm afraid players will go looking for a soft penalty.

Have a look at the penalty incident again. Look where Aimson is. He has moved across and positioned himself to cover that player. The attacker’s run was already covered by a team mate.

So in answer to the question Lewis had no need to attempt to make a challenge because the player still had a lot to do to create a scoring opportunity because he had a team mate slowing the Blackpool player down.

That, from my point of view, is what makes it a reckless challenge. The fact he didn’t even need to attempt to go near the opposition player. If the player had a clear shot at goal you could understand it.

I would agree with all of that if Lewis made a rash tackle, missed both ball and player, but the player feigned contact. I’ve just had a few watches and it doesn’t look like Lewis made any attempt to make a challenge, he was busting a gut to get back and stop the cross.

So last night l don’t know if you watched Birmingham against Swansea. I saw the highlights. If you see the penalty incident for the winner you can see Swansea player lose his footing and slip. That slip then sees him supposedly clipping the Birmingham player from behind. Did he attempt to play the ball? No. Was there a touch? Very minimal, if any. He certainly didn’t look to make an attempt at the challenge. Unfortunately, player does down and it looks clumsy.

I’m afraid that’s the way the game just is.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I don’t think Swansea can complain too much. I seem to recall that they got 2 controversial (90+7 mins) penalties in successive games recently.