Brief Synopsis (Blackpool) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis (Blackpool)

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Balham_Green":2h7iy0fv said:
Nobby":2h7iy0fv said:
Having now seen the penalty incident, I’m bemused that anyone thinks Lewis is at fault. It is a blatant dive!

Cooper should save the first, as well. Poor from Lewis initially but Cooper should be doing better.

So you don't think Lewis isat fault for being caught out of position and getting wrong side but you think Cooper should be blamed for being beaten from 8 yards? There's nowt as queer as folk.

It’s not perfect by Lewis for sure. He’s pushed up to get tight to his man and not anticipated the ball over the top, leaving himself square and trying to recover. He recovers reasonably well to get back and then the forward jolts unnaturally to the left and puts his body across Lewis rather than follow the path of the ball and then throws himself to the ground without any contact as far as I can see. I think it’s harsh to hold him accountable. It’s not great defending, but it’s a complete dive.

As for Cooper, it’s not a howler by any stretch, but the shot is close to him. He tries to dive on it like a loose ball in the six yard box rather than get his body behind it and it squirms in off his legs. I think even Cooper would be disappointed not to save it.

Dec 30, 2020
Nobby":2mjtgbkm said:
Balham_Green":2mjtgbkm said:
Nobby":2mjtgbkm said:
Having now seen the penalty incident, I’m bemused that anyone thinks Lewis is at fault. It is a blatant dive!

Cooper should save the first, as well. Poor from Lewis initially but Cooper should be doing better.

So you don't think Lewis isat fault for being caught out of position and getting wrong side but you think Cooper should be blamed for being beaten from 8 yards? There's nowt as queer as folk.

It’s not perfect by Lewis for sure. He’s pushed up to get tight to his man and not anticipated the ball over the top, leaving himself square and trying to recover. He recovers reasonably well to get back and then the forward jolts unnaturally to the left and puts his body across Lewis rather than follow the path of the ball and then throws himself to the ground without any contact as far as I can see. I think it’s harsh to hold him accountable. It’s not great defending, but it’s a complete dive.

As for Cooper, it’s not a howler by any stretch, but the shot is close to him. He tries to dive on it like a loose ball in the six yard box rather than get his body behind it and it squirms in off his legs. I think even Cooper would be disappointed not to save it.

Compared to most of Cooper's other errors this season, this one was unusual, in that it actually happened, rather than being fictitiously documented online. He was in a position to make the save, if he'd got either a stronger hand on it or his body behind the ball. The two errors from Lewis in the build up, missing the header then failing to clear, were probably worse.

Rowlypilgrim

Jam First
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 13, 2021
Lesley Somerville":1rf0mlqd said:
IJN":1rf0mlqd said:
That's exactly my point. The 'modern fan' says 'That's a penalty in this climate' etc BUT it's cheating. No way was that a pen and no way should our lad get the stick he's been getting for it. Referees are a thick as two short Mars Bars in the lower leagues.

Even worse is the fact that he gets it from our own fans. As I've said before, some people who are older and wiser (allegedly) are very quick to trash young players and casually dismiss them as lazy, can't be bothered, useless, can't believe he's that poor, etc etc. It's really sad and I wish people would give a more considered view, which can still be honest and forthright, without laying into young lads especially in such a personal and nasty way.

Spot on Lesley, sadly symptomatic of the whole keyboard warrior malaise that is so cowardly yet easy to do. We might privately despair sometimes that this player or that player didn’t get it right, but the hatred and bile is far too heavy and unhealthy... we have all seen examples of our players who get given the poison chalice and then wonder why their confidence is shot, why they leave, why they enjoy scoring against us.

Our squad when we were skint and struggling to stay in the league was not the most gifted bunch of guys we have ever had, we’re not being paid etc but I was proud of them for giving it a right old go.

Let the kids develop their skills and confidence - all I would say is that whilst I admire the youth being given a chance, it’s also good to have some experienced heads to calm and coach - David Fox among many others.

Sep 6, 2006
Rowlypilgrim":2z0szpvt said:
Lesley Somerville":2z0szpvt said:
IJN":2z0szpvt said:
That's exactly my point. The 'modern fan' says 'That's a penalty in this climate' etc BUT it's cheating. No way was that a pen and no way should our lad get the stick he's been getting for it. Referees are a thick as two short Mars Bars in the lower leagues.

Even worse is the fact that he gets it from our own fans. As I've said before, some people who are older and wiser (allegedly) are very quick to trash young players and casually dismiss them as lazy, can't be bothered, useless, can't believe he's that poor, etc etc. It's really sad and I wish people would give a more considered view, which can still be honest and forthright, without laying into young lads especially in such a personal and nasty way.

Spot on Lesley, sadly symptomatic of the whole keyboard warrior malaise that is so cowardly yet easy to do. We might privately despair sometimes that this player or that player didn’t get it right, but the hatred and bile is far too heavy and unhealthy... we have all seen examples of our players who get given the poison chalice and then wonder why their confidence is shot, why they leave, why they enjoy scoring against us.

Our squad when we were skint and struggling to stay in the league was not the most gifted bunch of guys we have ever had, we’re not being paid etc but I was proud of them for giving it a right old go.

Let the kids develop their skills and confidence - all I would say is that whilst I admire the youth being given a chance, it’s also good to have some experienced heads to calm and coach - David Fox among many others.

First para is a load of nonsense. Oh and Fox left 2 years ago!
Not sure where you see 'bile and hatred' on here. Its a discussion site which involves criticism when justified - shocking horror. So your view is folk should only come on here to praise the players is it? Wow that would be really interesting wouldn't it? :facepalm:

Apr 1, 2009
Rowlypilgrim":1ah1abm5 said:

Another symptom of keyboard warriors is that they use exaggeration and provocative words to try and make their point, although it often has effect of destroying that point.

I've got to defend Pasoti and its posters here. Of course there are criticisms of players that sometimes go over the top, and of course individual posters have players who they like, players who they don't like as much, and even players who they don't like and don't rate. Of course some members don't like or agree with some things that others say. How do you have a football forum if that is not the case? Yet the poster above introduces the word hatred, as if hatred for individual players was regularly expressed on here.

I have racked my brains to think of an example where a poster has, directly or indirectly, shown hatred to a member of the current squad. I genuinely can't think of a single example. If the poster above would like to provide examples, by DM if you wish, I'd love to be enlightened. If genuine hatred was expressed on here more than once by a poster, the Mods would jump on it as this simply isn't what Pasoti is about.

"Keyboard Warriors" get criticised, often with good reason. In this instance I think it is wrong. If you need to witness "hatred" against a player, be in a Football crowd when things are going badly, and it won't take long to find a "fan" targetting serious personal abuse towards an individual player of his own team, again and again and again. If the player concerned is patrolling the near touchline, he may well be hearing it, and won't be able to escape it. That scenario is so much worse than anything you will read on here.

Kevin Pedlar

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jul 28, 2010
Plymouth
Rowlypilgrim":1eopao1a said:
Lesley Somerville":1eopao1a said:
IJN":1eopao1a said:

Quite agree with you guys. Though I see some of the usual suspects are already venting their spleen at you.

Yes Lewis made a couple of errors, but so did an England international last night - someone with a lot more experience and getting paid gazillions more.

Apr 1, 2009
Kevin Pedlar":lfy29icq said:
Rowlypilgrim":lfy29icq said:
Lesley Somerville":lfy29icq said:
IJN":lfy29icq said:

Quite agree with you guys. Though I see some of the usual suspects are already venting their spleen at you.

Yes Lewis made a couple of errors, but so did an England international last night - someone with a lot more experience and getting paid gazillions more.

More exaggeration used to make a point. As the only poster to comment directly on Lesley's post (much of which I agreed with), and one of only two to comment on Rowly's (where I disagreed with one word), I'm presumably at the head of Kev's list of "usual suspects" who are "venting their spleen" despite there being no fury whatsoever in either of my posts! Bit baffled as I'm pretty relaxed when on Pasoti (and in life generally too!), and don't really do the Mr Angry stuff that Kevin refers to...

:furious: :furious:

Sep 6, 2006
Kevin Pedlar":s7834dhe said:
Rowlypilgrim":s7834dhe said:
Lesley Somerville":s7834dhe said:
IJN":s7834dhe said:

2 wrongs don't make a right. So what we should be doing according to your great wisdom is not criticising the players in any way. Play up chaps, play the game, they did their best, not to worry, good show anyway. So what do you think we should be discussing on here then? Whether we should have a new scoreboard perhaps ? Will you be happy with that? Or perhaps that would indirectly criticise the club for not already having one? - poor show what? Or the shape of the lines drawn by the groundsman on the pitch?

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Obviously there will be some ott comments in the heat of the moment during a match but afterwards the criticism should be objective and balanced. Lewis got a right old slating after the MK match (I think). Yes, he had a shocking first 20mins and his back pass gifted them a goal, but he had a really good match after that, putting in a man of the match performance. Hardly anyone mentioned how good he was after his poor start, the focus was on what he did wrong.

All players make mistakes, not just the young players, all of them. It’s unfair to point out the mistakes and turn a blind eye to the good stuff they bring to the table.

Apr 1, 2009
GreenThing":3ecy0i4j said:
Obviously there will be some ott comments in the heat of the moment during a match but afterwards the criticism should be objective and balanced. Lewis got a right old slating after the MK match (I think). Yes, he had a shocking first 20mins and his back pass gifted them a goal, but he had a really good match after that, putting in a man of the match performance. Hardly anyone mentioned how good he was after his poor start, the focus was on what he did wrong.

All players make mistakes, not just the young players, all of them. It’s unfair to point out the mistakes and turn a blind eye to the good stuff they bring to the table.

Lewis's infamous back pass was in the Ipswich game. He did improve afterwards particularly going forwards (which a number of people, myself included, commented on), but who gave him the MoM award.? He was subbed around the hour mark.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
xmastree":2kizw95o said:
GreenThing":2kizw95o said:

Lewis's infamous back pass was in the Ipswich game. He did improve afterwards particularly going forwards (which a number of people, myself included, commented on), but who gave him the MoM award.? He was subbed around the hour mark.

Ok, Ipswich match. I wasn’t sure which match it was which is why I put ‘I think’ in brackets.

I wasn’t suggesting that he should be awarded the MotM as he started poorly and was subbed before the end. I suggested that he put in a MotM performance for a good part of the game.

The point still stands that there are a large proportion of the fan base who highlights any mistakes but are blind to anything good that a player does.

Mar 14, 2009
I read posts about the penalty against Blackpool. About how there player took a dive. That he didn’t nothing wrong. Well lm sorry but we aren’t living in a world where honest footballers don’t get rewarded. I can’t remember who it was but in the Bristol Rovers game but remember an Argyle player was breaking into their box. One of their players mistimed a tackle but the Argyle played stumbled, but stayed on his feet. Was it reward? No. So the Blackpool player ‘felt contact’ and dived. He won a penalty. You might hate it as a fan but unfortunately that’s the game. We were honest and got nothing. He cheated and they scored. Lewis in that instance was naive. You can’t challenge a player from behind. Even if you don’t make contact.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I think the player who didn’t fall over was Jephcott.

What do you suggest a defender should do? Let the attacker run into the box because if he tries to defend he’s open to a dive?

Mar 14, 2009
GreenThing":25reg349 said:

What do you suggest a defender should do? Let the attacker run into the box because if he tries to defend he’s open to a dive?

Well we seen what attempting to challenge from behind does. The way that football is played today lm afraid players will go looking for a soft penalty.

Have a look at the penalty incident again. Look where Aimson is. He has moved across and positioned himself to cover that player. The attacker’s run was already covered by a team mate.

So in answer to the question Lewis had no need to attempt to make a challenge because the player still had a lot to do to create a scoring opportunity because he had a team mate slowing the Blackpool player down.

That, from my point of view, is what makes it a reckless challenge. The fact he didn’t even need to attempt to go near the opposition player. If the player had a clear shot at goal you could understand it.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Metal_Green_Mickey":3t37erq9 said:
GreenThing":3t37erq9 said:

Well we seen what attempting to challenge from behind does. The way that football is played today lm afraid players will go looking for a soft penalty.

Have a look at the penalty incident again. Look where Aimson is. He has moved across and positioned himself to cover that player. The attacker’s run was already covered by a team mate.

So in answer to the question Lewis had no need to attempt to make a challenge because the player still had a lot to do to create a scoring opportunity because he had a team mate slowing the Blackpool player down.

That, from my point of view, is what makes it a reckless challenge. The fact he didn’t even need to attempt to go near the opposition player. If the player had a clear shot at goal you could understand it.

I would agree with all of that if Lewis made a rash tackle, missed both ball and player, but the player feigned contact. I’ve just had a few watches and it doesn’t look like Lewis made any attempt to make a challenge, he was busting a gut to get back and stop the cross.