Brief Synopsis (Blackpool) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis (Blackpool)

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Said it last week, I'll say it again this week - I refuse to believe that Adam Lewis and Andy Kellett are different people. Brilliant going forward, but, as yesterday showed, defensively all over the place. Against a poor team like Rovers, we get away with it - but once Blackpool dropped their full backs back to stop our attacks through the channels to gain control of the game, and once they started to target Lewis going forward, it was a massacre.

Very good point against a good team which we matched over the course of the 90, but we have to go horses for courses in terms of picking Lewis.

On the whole, that gripe aside, very happy with how we've played in these 2 games. As the season is as good as over for us at both ends of the table, it'll be encouraging to see some more good performances as we look towards next season.

Cooper 6

Edwards 8
Woods 6
Aimson 6
Lewis 3

Fornah 8
Grant 7

Camara 4
Mayor 4

Ennis 6
Hardie 6

Subs: Moore 6, Lolos 6, Jephcott 5.

May 16, 2016
RE. The Lewis slip for Blackpool goal 1. Are we ignoring how he was on the right hand side of our box and the goal was scored from the left after none of the other 6 Argyle players in the box managed to stop the attempt?

Talking of naivety for the penalty, was seasoned pro Danny Mayor naive for the one he gave away recently or does he get a free pass for the same errors ?

Sep 2, 2008
Guiri Green":29s9e488 said:
RE. The Lewis slip for Blackpool goal 1. Are we ignoring how he was on the right hand side of our box and the goal was scored from the left after none of the other 6 Argyle players in the box managed to stop the attempt?

Talking of naivety for the penalty, was seasoned pro Danny Mayor naive for the one he gave away recently or does he get a free pass for the same errors ?

What annoyed me about Lewis and the first goal was the length of time he stayed down when he slipped. Its standard training practice to get to your feet straight away when you go down. He just lay there and allowed the attacker to turn and face up to him with a load of space to run into. To allow the attacker that much time and space in our box is shocking. He should have been straight back on to his feet and closing that space down.

Jan 30, 2016
Watched that "penalty" again this morning the EFL Highlights and the commentators agreed that it was never a penalty and that Lewis was outfoxed by the attacker who stepped across him deliberately before taking a dive. I think that plenty supporters here should apologise to Lewis. Agreed he was caught out and was partly responsible for the first goal but it no was was it a penalty.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Dan Ellard":1ysl3kgy said:
Said it last week, I'll say it again this week - I refuse to believe that Adam Lewis and Andy Kellett are different people. Brilliant going forward, but, as yesterday showed, defensively all over the place. Against a poor team like Rovers, we get away with it - but once Blackpool dropped their full backs back to stop our attacks through the channels to gain control of the game, and once they started to target Lewis going forward, it was a massacre.

Very good point against a good team which we matched over the course of the 90, but we have to go horses for courses in terms of picking Lewis.

On the whole, that gripe aside, very happy with how we've played in these 2 games. As the season is as good as over for us at both ends of the table, it'll be encouraging to see some more good performances as we look towards next season.

Cooper 6

Edwards 8
Woods 6
Aimson 6
Lewis 3

Fornah 8
Grant 7

Camara 4
Mayor 4

Ennis 6
Hardie 6

Subs: Moore 6, Lolos 6, Jephcott 5.

A bit harsh Dan. We drew and matched a top 6 side, the form team in the division and you award an average mark of 5.8 per player?

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
Lewis gets stick because he was naive and dived in from behind. Rob McNichol got it spot on in commentary - the ref gave a decision based on what he was expecting to see, the whistle was in his lips as Lewis approached, virtually. And he was culpable, twice, during the build up for the first goal.
I would drop him on Friday, put Grant in at LB and put Reeves in alongside Fornah in the holding roles.
As for the question about whether we would miss Danny Mayor next season if he didn't sign a new contract. How about asking the other 23 League 1 managers which attacking midfielder that they have faced this season would they love in their side? At least half would say Danny Mayor without hesitation. Yes, he was quiet yesterday but he is by far and away our biggest attacking outlet. Someone made the point a few weeks ago about goal involvement or assisting the assister. I might watch back all of our goals this season and see how many times Mayor passed to the assister. I fail to understand the continuing negativity towards him. It may come back to haunt us.

May 16, 2016
Pottypilgrim":3n2jkjeo said:
Guiri Green":3n2jkjeo said:

What annoyed me about Lewis and the first goal was the length of time he stayed down when he slipped. Its standard training practice to get to your feet straight away when you go down. He just lay there and allowed the attacker to turn and face up to him with a load of space to run into. To allow the attacker that much time and space in our box is shocking. He should have been straight back on to his feet and closing that space down.

He got up fairly quickly I thought. He was expecting a whistle for what looked like a foul and we know if it had been in the other box we'd be demanding a penalty.

Apr 1, 2009
AlanMS":qs80e0w9 said:
Watched that "penalty" again this morning the EFL Highlights and the commentators agreed that it was never a penalty and that Lewis was outfoxed by the attacker who stepped across him deliberately before taking a dive. I think that plenty supporters here should apologise to Lewis. Agreed he was caught out and was partly responsible for the first goal but it no was was it a penalty.

It wasn't a penalty, but everyone knows that it is the type that is often given. Lewis was on the wrong side and everyone could see it coming. Forwards are just waiting for the slightest contact in such situations. We moan a lot at the moment (with some justification) about opposition players diving, and the fact that we concede vastly more pens than we are awarded. If we had the sort of player who won us penalties, we'd probably moan less about opposition players who do it. An example was Lewis Allessandra, a player of modest ability who had the "knack" of winning a disproportionate number of pens.

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
It really looked like the Blackpool player moved his body into Lewis and then simply fell to the ground all to easily,
if that happened in the middle of the pitch, nothing would have been given in my opinion and the game would have continued.

Caribou

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jan 4, 2011
Gloucestershire
xmastree":3nwe9kos said:
AlanMS":3nwe9kos said:

It wasn't a penalty, but everyone knows that it is the type that is often given. Lewis was on the wrong side and everyone could see it coming. Forwards are just waiting for the slightest contact in such situations. We moan a lot at the moment (with some justification) about opposition players diving, and the fact that we concede vastly more pens than we are awarded. If we had the sort of player who won us penalties, we'd probably moan less about opposition players who do it. An example was Lewis Allessandra, a player of modest ability who had the "knack" of winning a disproportionate number of pens.

Exactly this. Didn’t Carey get a bit of a reputation for, ahem, winning penalties too, one season? Seem to remember other fans at the time talking about him the way we have about Lincoln this season.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Guiri Green":2mf2n4tu said:
Pottypilgrim":2mf2n4tu said:
Guiri Green":2mf2n4tu said:

He got up fairly quickly I thought. He was expecting a whistle for what looked like a foul and we know if it had been in the other box we'd be demanding a penalty.

IMHO young Lewis could have got up quicker. I noted he beat the ground with the fist of his hand. That was a waste of time in itself. How effective he would have been had he regained his feet quicker is subjective judgement.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Yep a couple of mistakes. I think he realised at the last moment that he had misjudged the flight of the ball so he sort of ducked out of it, then he lost his footing and I think for a moment he thought the ball was going out. Can't castigate him too much as I do like what he brings to the team...very sweet left foot and the first half against Bristol he linked up with Mayor superbly. Maybe he needs to be higher up the pitch?

Dec 22, 2010
north devon
Diving to get pens or free kicks is part of todays game and altho its wrong we should do the same as its all about results.Im sure players are told to do it so if you cant beat them join them. It does,nt pay to be honesf in football and our one penalty this season proves it.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Clem":1532kja7 said:
Diving to get pens or free kicks is part of todays game and altho its wrong we should do the same as its all about results.Im sure players are told to do it so if you cant beat them join them. It does,nt pay to be honesf in football and our one penalty this season proves it.

"It does,nt pay to be honesf in football "

Well maybe after 57 years watching I'll have to stop going! :facepalm:

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
IJN":2kxkgn7m said:
That's exactly my point. The 'modern fan' says 'That's a penalty in this climate' etc BUT it's cheating. No way was that a pen and no way should our lad get the stick he's been getting for it. Referees are a thick as two short Mars Bars in the lower leagues.

Even worse is the fact that he gets it from our own fans. As I've said before, some people who are older and wiser (allegedly) are very quick to trash young players and casually dismiss them as lazy, can't be bothered, useless, can't believe he's that poor, etc etc. It's really sad and I wish people would give a more considered view, which can still be honest and forthright, without laying into young lads especially in such a personal and nasty way.