Brief Synopsis (Blackpool) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis (Blackpool)

Mar 14, 2009
People may not like it. However, until the refs stop giving penalties for players going to ground easily then we have to accept it.

The best way to describe Lewis was that he was naive. People may not like it but if you come from behind and challenge a player in a clumsy fashion your asking for trouble. Contact or not.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Metal_Green_Mickey":2347uuo1 said:
People may not like it. However, until the refs stop giving penalties for players going to ground easily then we have to accept it.

The best way to describe Lewis was that he was naive. People may not like it but if you come from behind and challenge a player in a clumsy fashion your asking for trouble. Contact or not.

" ... then we have to accept it."

We do?? :think:
Why do we?
I don't want to!
Or: I don't!! ;)

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Lewis was done because he was close to their bloke, which gave him the opportunity to take a dive and ‘win’ a penalty.

Those slating Lewis, what do you want? Should Lewis just leave him a free run into the box so that there is no opportunity for him to con the ref?? Lewis wasn’t naive, it was the ref that was naive.

Sep 6, 2006
GreenThing":c6syqjme said:
Lewis was done because he was close to their bloke, which gave him the opportunity to take a dive and ‘win’ a penalty.

Those slating Lewis, what do you want? Should Lewis just leave him a free run into the box so that there is no opportunity for him to con the ref?? Lewis wasn’t naive, it was the ref that was naive.

What do you want! Here's a wild idea. Don't get caught out of position (twice) by a simple ball over the top leaving you wrong side of the striker. Is that asking too much?

Apr 1, 2009
Lesley Somerville":10od11nd said:
IJN":10od11nd said:
That's exactly my point. The 'modern fan' says 'That's a penalty in this climate' etc BUT it's cheating. No way was that a pen and no way should our lad get the stick he's been getting for it. Referees are a thick as two short Mars Bars in the lower leagues.

Even worse is the fact that he gets it from our own fans. As I've said before, some people who are older and wiser (allegedly) are very quick to trash young players and casually dismiss them as lazy, can't be bothered, useless, can't believe he's that poor, etc etc. It's really sad and I wish people would give a more considered view, which can still be honest and forthright, without laying into young lads especially in such a personal and nasty way.

Lesley, I don't think I'm bad with words, but I'm struggling with your final sentence. If a fan thinks a player is poor, I'm not sure how they do say so in an "honest and forthright way" without it being personal. If I think a player is poor and describe him as "having potential to improve" or "still developing their game", I feel I'm talking like an Estate Agent and not being either honest or forthright as it doesn't represent how I feel. Of course there's the option of not voicing an opinion at all, but that rather defeats the purpose of a discussion board.

Yes there is a line that shouldn't be crossed, but very very little on here comes close to the savaging dished out by individual fans to individual players when actually in a ground. You get fans screaming the same very personal abuse at a player over and over again using extreme language. We've all seen that happen when a player makes a couple of mistakes. I'm not saying that's right, but where do you draw the line?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Metal_Green_Mickey":o8kjsv67 said:
Edwards for player of the season for me.

He has been immense. He puts a good shift in every game. His attitude and work rate l adore. He has scored some cracking goals this season too. Today’s goal was just beautiful. Personally, l’d love to see him next season in CM alongside Camara. I think those two together would give us a brilliant team engine to build the side around.

Basically, today Lewis unfortunately cost us points. The slip for the clearance was unfortunate. However, he let the player inside him too easily. The penalty was just stupidity. If you challenge like that from behind you are asking for trouble. And sure enough the player was going to go to ground.

Also Argyle have an issue at the start of games. Too many times, especially second half, we switch off in the opening minutes. It’s crazy to think how many goals we conceded already.

Aimson looks a better player in the back four. He just can defend. Then give simple balls to the midfielders or full backs.

He isn’t the only one who looks better in this system. The team has better balance. We attacked more down the right hand side in that first half than the left. When was the last time this happened. Players just looked better as passing options seem easier. There is more support to the forwards. There is better natural width to our play. The forwards are getting a better supply of service.

I’m not gonna get carried away but l’ve always said performances are the key. Even if we had lost today nobody can tell me that away performance wasn’t better than the turgid Northampton one or an improvement on the MK Dons or Ipswich one.

It’s far from perfect. Second half today we lost our way. We gave away the ball too cheaply. However, there was more of a purpose behind what we were trying to do. Something to build on. :scarf: :scarf:
I've watched and replayed the highlights several times. There is absolutely no challenge from Lewis. Yes he was caught out and the Blackpool player got past him. But Lewis makes no challenge. The Blackpool player cheated, deliberately running across Lewis. Poor devision by the official but typical of the modern game.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Vampires11":2o2y9bb7 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf3NdyeGtgU

lessons to be learned by everyone in football?

Never will learn from rugby to be honest. Referees in football are disrespected by the Players, Managers and fans and this attitude extends to amateur level as well. Radical change is needed, I don't really know what because it's so embedded in football culture. Perhaps the sin bin is an idea whose time has come, with dismissal for a second 'binnable' offence. Perhaps proper retrospective disciplinary action on divers. Maybe the authorities could actually discipline a manager for badmouthing a ref rather than paying lip service to the concept. It won't change of course because who the heck could we all blame when our team loses?

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Metal_Green_Mickey":3pzn7bj1 said:

I'd revise that slightly to "until refs start giving fouls when the attacker tries to stay on his feet" - which hardly ever happens.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Having now seen the penalty incident, I’m bemused that anyone thinks Lewis is at fault. It is a blatant dive!

Cooper should save the first, as well. Poor from Lewis initially but Cooper should be doing better.

Feb 4, 2011
cornwall
Yes people are cmmenting on the Lewis error with Cooper geting away with concedeing a soft first goal. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Sep 6, 2006
Nobby":1ewkqtfa said:
Having now seen the penalty incident, I’m bemused that anyone thinks Lewis is at fault. It is a blatant dive!

Cooper should save the first, as well. Poor from Lewis initially but Cooper should be doing better.

So you don't think Lewis isat fault for being caught out of position and getting wrong side but you think Cooper should be blamed for being beaten from 8 yards? There's nowt as queer as folk.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Balham_Green":1tcv6d3x said:
Nobby":1tcv6d3x said:

So you don't think Lewis isat fault for being caught out of position and getting wrong side but you think Cooper should be blamed for being beaten from 8 yards? There's nowt as queer as folk.
I do think that, because of the standard that he sets for himself, Coops will be disappointed that the ball squirmed under his body. Not a howler but, with a bit of luck, he could have blocked it.