Brief Synopsis!!! (Bristol Rovers) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Bristol Rovers)

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Nial Ennis clearly the difference. Sharp, persistent, just an absolute nuisance to the opposition. But credit to Adam Lewis who had an exceptional first half after some shocking moments in recent weeks. Tired in the second but still involved himself, got forward when he could and put a huge shift in.
After being very critical, in hindsight, I guess we should expect a young player to have ups and downs.
Credit also to Will Aimson who, despite looking crestfallen throughout the game, was far more decisive than in other games.
However Rovers do look a side with a pretty one dimensional forward line. We could do worse than Alfie Kilgore from them and the boy Darling from MK Dons if we're after centre backs in the summer based on recent weeks... didn't think Kilgore could be held responsible for the goals and looks tough and uncompromising.
Fornah also good, without doing much he's clearly a better bet than the physio's friend MacLeod. Done with players looking ok for a game or two then being out for weeks on end... simply not viable.

Mar 14, 2009
Larry David":15r9zu29 said:
Outstanding from Ennis really impressive. Big mention for Will Aimson who was excellent his best performance for a long long time, that needs to be his standard for the rest of the season now.

No gripes no complaints every player vastly improved amazing what a goal and the rub of the green can do for the confidence. Lewis a real threat from wide and Conor Grant much better today.

Now if we can somehow get Jephcott on the scoresheet things would really be looking up.

Is it no coincidence that Aimson had 5-10 yard options in front of him and out wide and today he had his best game?

What l mean is if you look in the 92nd min Aimson is the guy cutting out the near post low cross. Defensively, l feel he is aware of dangerous situations well. Hasn’t the issue been when he is possession of the ball and he gives the ball to the opposition with his choice of passes?

Today he could play the ball simple. He wasn’t wide on that right side of the pitch wondering what pass to make. He just gave the simple pass. As a result you see more of his defensive work than see his passing ability which brings much frustration and provides the opposition to counter attack us in dangerous areas when he gives it away.

It made huge difference today the opposition having to create the chances to score instead of us giving away soft passes and they expose us on the counter attack. I think the worry today was still the left side and a few times there was acres of space for Rovers to exploit. Whether that was Argyle not picking up the runners lm not so sure.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Very important result today.

Few quick thoughts from me.

That formation put huge demands on Lewis and Edwards to get up and back. I am not convinced that approach can be adopted away from home.

Ennis was excellent and agree with those saying Aimson was much improved playing in the centre of a four.

Fornah had a much better game too.

Is Opoku suspended now as suggested on i follow coverage?

Be interested to see if Lowe says that was a one off tactical switch or something he may use again.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
really happy with this win against a dangerous forward line.ennis absolutely faultless.my ratings;
Michael Cooper - 7
Will Aimson - 7
Tyrese Fornah - 7
Jerome Opoku - 7
Joe Edwards - 7
Conor Grant - 7
Adam Lewis - 8
Panutche Camara - 6
Danny Mayor - 6
Luke Jephcott - 8
Niall Ennis - 10

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Gary S":2o9afjxi said:
A few thoughts...

4-4-2, 2-2-4-2, 2-2-2-2-2 ? Not really sure;
If we have a chance to get Lewis back next year, we
should take it. His delivery is excellent and sorely needed;
Ennis was indeed "different class";
Aimson was excellent at his main job of defending, and will
possibly be relieved at not having to pass out so much;
Fornah was as good as I've seen him;
Mayor combined well with Lewis in the first half, but did
his famous invisible man impersonation for much of the second;
it was as though we gave ourselves 15 minutes of the second
half to get a third, then gave up trying;
Cooper didn't put a foot wrong, and did brilliantly to prevent
Rovers getting a fluky goal back;
Opoku is apparently suspended, which could produce another
dilemma if Watts remains unfit;
Jephcott worked hard, but sadly offers very little when he's not scoring;
Hardie for Ennis rather than Jephcott surprised me;
we're almost safe;
bring on Blackpool.
Ennis was probably subbed because he had been booked. Certainly, wouldn’t want him suspended.
That was a superb reaction save by Coops when the ball was hit hard and deflected off one of the BR player’s chest.
Lewis’s precise crosses, curling away from the defenders, were excellent today.
It’s good to have Rob McNicol, who knows Argyle, as our regular commentator.

Dec 30, 2020
Maybe wasn't quite the shutout that a 2-0 win makes it sound, but good to end the losing streak and pretty much banish any fears of a repeat of two seasons ago.

Ennis is obviously a real find. Also thought Lewis had an eye catching game.

He is a little reckless, less composed and more error prone than Grant in the left wing back role, but quicker, more direct and better at dribbling and crossing. Not only provided the the two assists but also the source of other half chances - we looked more of a threat today than in recent games (admittedly in a home fixture against weaker opposition).

Hopefully we can now enjoy a relaxing end to the season. Would be nice to finish the campaign with a 'winning' record (currently W13 L15)

Oct 20, 2015
A few observations from my viewpoint:

- People rating Tea Kettle fairly high but he looked petty and got a lot of decisions plain wrong. I didn't see the Barton thing but Lowe got a yellow last week, means FA.

- Scoring early really changed the team. Suddenly passes were sticking and we were much more adventurous going forwards. I like to think the new formation helped but I'm definitely no expert in this.

- Ennis just brilliant. So lively and so difficult for the Rovers defenders. I wish we could have him next season as well but I feel certain Wolves will recall either to sell or to keep in their squad.

- Why did Lowe take Ennis off when he was on a hat-trick? I'd have thought it better to leave him on in case he got a third but since we won 2-0 I'll bow to his greater knowledge.

- I was also thinking Lowe ought to sub Opoku in 2nd half just because of danger of 2nd yellow. Fair play to Opoku though, he played really well all match.

- A great showing from Cooper at a critical time. He'll have a much harder time at Blackpool so I'm hoping today's clean sheet will help with his confidence.

- Quiet game from Mayor, he did a few tricksy dribbles to the goal line in first half but faded. I hope this is a sign the team can still function well if our only playmaker is having a so-so game, or is absent.

- Overall I think Rovers might feel a bit hard done by. But we felt the same after our 2-0 defeat v MK where we hit the woodwork and missed by fine margins. About time the luck turned for us, and it did today, although Ennis surely MoM.

Jul 6, 2011
Be interesting to see what happens when George Cooper is fit again, but I suppose Lewis will have returned back to Liverpool by then...

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
slingsby_pobble":2uzdyj0s said:

- People rating Tea Kettle fairly high but he looked petty and got a lot of decisions plain wrong. I didn't see the Barton thing but Lowe got a yellow last week, means FA.

- Scoring early really changed the team. Suddenly passes were sticking and we were much more adventurous going forwards. I like to think the new formation helped but I'm definitely no expert in this.

- Ennis just brilliant. So lively and so difficult for the Rovers defenders. I wish we could have him next season as well but I feel certain Wolves will recall either to sell or to keep in their squad.

- Why did Lowe take Ennis off when he was on a hat-trick? I'd have thought it better to leave him on in case he got a third but since we won 2-0 I'll bow to his greater knowledge.

- I was also thinking Lowe ought to sub Opoku in 2nd half just because of danger of 2nd yellow. Fair play to Opoku though, he played really well all match.

- A great showing from Cooper at a critical time. He'll have a much harder time at Blackpool so I'm hoping today's clean sheet will help with his confidence.

- Quiet game from Mayor, he did a few tricksy dribbles to the goal line in first half but faded. I hope this is a sign the team can still function well if our only playmaker is having a so-so game, or is absent.

- Overall I think Rovers might feel a bit hard done by. But we felt the same after our 2-0 defeat v MK where we hit the woodwork and missed by fine margins. About time the luck turned for us, and it did today, although Ennis surely MoM.

You will be pleased to know that Ennis is our player then Slingsby. He is not here on loan.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
slingsby_pobble":27rltijt said:

Can I make your evening by telling you that Ennis signed a 2.5 year permanent contract on transfer from Wolves in Jan 2001 window. They might have a first option on a transfer away from Argyle, and a possible % share of any fee, but that is the best Wolves can achieve! Feel blessed

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
Really good win today to prevent a repeat of 2018/19. Fair play to the manager - I was really fed up with him after recent results but a clean sheet today and three points is the perfect riposte. Just want a more consistent run going forward. It’s too stressful losing five on the bounce. I’d take a few draws between now and the seasons end

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Gary S":2t6t6i7u said:
A few thoughts...

4-4-2, 2-2-4-2, 2-2-2-2-2 ? Not really sure;
If we have a chance to get Lewis back next year, we
should take it. His delivery is excellent and sorely needed;
Ennis was indeed "different class";
Aimson was excellent at his main job of defending, and will
possibly be relieved at not having to pass out so much;
Fornah was as good as I've seen him;
Mayor combined well with Lewis in the first half, but did
his famous invisible man impersonation for much of the second;
it was as though we gave ourselves 15 minutes of the second
half to get a third, then gave up trying;
Cooper didn't put a foot wrong, and did brilliantly to prevent
Rovers getting a fluky goal back;
Opoku is apparently suspended, which could produce another
dilemma if Watts remains unfit;
Jephcott worked hard, but sadly offers very little when he's not scoring;
Hardie for Ennis rather than Jephcott surprised me;
we're almost safe;
bring on Blackpool.

With Opuku suspended I’d think that Woods would come in as a direct replacement.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
I'd rather that Watts came back in if he is fit.

He's left-footed like Opoku and is a better footballer than Woods, which is what will be required if he is marking Jerry Yates next week.