Brief Synopsis!!! (Bristol Rovers) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Bristol Rovers)

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
That's more like it. Not outstanding, and Rovers were poor, but we deserved our win. Surely now relegation isn't happening.

Better teams might have punished us for this, but I really liked our fluidity. The 4-2-2-2 which we employed did mean that we saw less of the ball than we might have done in a 3-5-2, but the tactic which saw us find space in attack was clever from Lowe - especially down our left.

Whilst Lewis was playing at left back, he would charge forward when we were in possession, overlapping both Grant and Mayor. Grant would then immediately drop in and cover the space at left back if we lost the ball. Rovers couldn't deal with this, meaning that we were constantly creating overloads and opportunities to drive into the box / put crosses in. I'm glad that Lowe has finally realised that playing 2 DM's makes it a lot easier to slot in and cover for a full back / wing back caught high up the pitch when we lose possession.

Rovers had a lot of shots, but very few of them - other than a shot that was going wide before hitting a Rovers player and forcing Cooper into an excellent save - were particularly threatening. A few small scrambles in the box, but we put our bodies on the line and defended them well.

Criticism where it's due (the past few weeks), and also credit where it's due - this was a good response from Lowe and the players. Obviously it'll be good to build on this, but next week will be tough.

Cooper 6 - one excellent save previously mentioned, but his command of area was a little mixed - I appreciate there were often numerous bodies in the way but his punching wasn't up to his normal standard. One in particular in the first half where he punched it straight to a Rovers player 20 yards out was poor.

Edwards 7 - as is often the case, a lot of the play (both attacking and defensively) was concentrated down our left side, and Edwards-Fornah-Camara weren't quite as adept at creating overloads as the other side were. However, defensively he was very good.

Aimson 7 - much more suited to the orthodox centre-back role compared to RCB in a 3 on this viewing. He no longer had the responsibility of driving forward with the ball or making difficult passes, and as a result this was his best game for a while. One good block on the line albeit the ball might have just been drifting wide.

Opoku 7 - defensively excellent, gave their number 9 a thoroughly frustrating afternoon by giving him so little, however, he made one or two dodgy fouls after his yellow. I think Kettle was right not to send him off, but on another day, with another ref (Sarginson, Hooper, Huxtable) he could have gone. We'll miss him these next 2 games.

Lewis 7 - has anyone seen this guy and Andy Kellett in the same room at the same time? Defensively he wasn't good at all - his marking is awful, time and again he (after getting back into a reasonable position) would let his man get in behind. However, two superb assists and constantly provided good overlaps for Mayor when he drifted inside.

Fornah 6 - very weak header attempt which he completely missed inside the first few minutes for a Rovers chance, but actually did well after that - the odd bad pass aside. It certainly helped him having another DM alongside.

Grant 7 - an all-round good game, passed it well and covered for Lewis very well defensively.

Camara 7 - as always, fantastic pressing. With the security of 2 DM's behind him he was able to press even higher up the pitch, and denied Rovers time on the ball. His passing was a little better too - his best game in a while.

Mayor 8 - when Lewis wasn't overlapping, Mayor could drift wide, and as I mentioned in an earlier piece, this allowed him to run at defenders 1-on-1 or suck defenders in and create space for others in central areas. He seemed to be constantly getting away from defenders with a clever feint or turn - if there's a better dribbler at this level, I haven't seen him yet.

Jephcott 6 - better. We got bodies closer to him which helped, but his hold up and link up play in its own right was improved too. Still won't happen for him in front of goal, and if Hardie impresses next week than LJ might struggle to get back in.

Ennis 9 - what a player. Every single aspect of his game yesterday was just superb. His second goal was an excellent finish, the first one easier but he had to be there. His ability to dribble past defenders was excellent, and perhaps most impressive, his ability to hold off defenders and shield the ball was like having peak Reuben Reid / Ryan Taylor back in the side. Feet on the ground time as he is still young and may be inconsistent, but blimey we could have a player on our hands here.

Subs: Hardie 6, Moore n/a.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
Top summary,. Dan although I saw the system more as a 2-4-2-2 with Aimson and Opoku definitely more central and a step or two behind the four in front of them. The result was a remarkably flexible system that enabled the ball to be moved forward with much more pace and accuracy. It rather busted the myth that Ryan Lowe was wedded inflexibly to one system. It worked well as the home team - it will be interesting to see if it is retained against Blackpool. Sometimes a formula is found that works. I rather hope we persist with it to see if it does.

On a separate point I have not seen any comment about Argyle’s iFollow commentary. The absence of negative comment could be taken as a positive! I haven’t seen it announced but I assume that Rob McNichol has taken the advertised role. Rob worked at Argyle for a few years before going freelance and it shows. He has a perfectly acceptable level of a ‘Green Tint’ but tempered with knowledge and insight and the occasional mildly critical observation. It is a far better offer than the Radio Devon commentary and his partnership with Martin Gritton is effective and complementary. Argyle deserve credit for upping their game on iFollow and the four camera option is a definite enhancement.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Graham Clark":26i15wcu said:
Top summary,. Dan although I saw the system more as a 2-4-2-2 with Aimson and Opoku definitely more central and a step or two behind the four in front of them. The result was a remarkably flexible system that enabled the ball to be moved forward with much more pace and accuracy. It rather busted the myth that Ryan Lowe was wedded inflexibly to one system. It worked well as the home team - it will be interesting to see if it is retained against Blackpool. Sometimes a formula is found that works. I rather hope we persist with it to see if it does.

On a separate point I have not seen any comment about Argyle’s iFollow commentary. The absence of negative comment could be taken as a positive! I haven’t seen it announced but I assume that Rob McNichol has taken the advertised role. Rob worked at Argyle for a few years before going freelance and it shows. He has a perfectly acceptable level of a ‘Green Tint’ but tempered with knowledge and insight and the occasional mildly critical observation. It is a far better offer than the Radio Devon commentary and his partnership with Martin Gritton is effective and complementary. Argyle deserve credit for upping their game on iFollow and the four camera option is a definite enhancement.

Errrrmmmmmmmmmmmmm .............. McNichol and Gritton WAS the Radio Devon commentary team yesterday.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
kernow19":1ep90vzp said:
Graham Clark":1ep90vzp said:

Errrrmmmmmmmmmmmmm .............. McNichol and Gritton WAS the Radio Devon commentary team yesterday.

Brian McGlinchy was on Radio Devon.

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
kernow19":2d4amcdn said:
Graham Clark":2d4amcdn said:

Ummm... 12 seconds in, for a couple of seconds here: http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/soundfi ... 3-20/4.mp3 ;)

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Useful result. I thought the Lewis/Mayor combination was outstanding in the first half, really impressed with Lewis's crossing from some really tight positions. Opoku had his best game for me...I struggled to see what he was contributing to be honest, he wasn't stopping goals and offered nothing going forward, but today he got stuck in and it suited him. Ennis was very very good. He does more than hold the ball up he also creates opportunities from very tight positions. Jephcott I feel will come good, he's been within a whisker of scoring several times in the last few matches.

The change of tactics was good to see. Coops was still rolling the ball out occasionally, but not when it didn't make sense to do so...it kind of nullified the pressing game that Bristol were attempting. I enjoy watching this team, bit frustrating on occasions but it's been worth every ÂŁ10 spent. Can't wait to get back to Home Park and watch the League 1 campaign next season.

Apr 1, 2009
Graham Clark":1tb02iph said:

Agreed that Rob McNichol is usually pretty good, and the overall Argyle package deserves praise.

Where I didn't like McNichol was the game where Gary Sawyer was alongside him. McNichol seemed to get over-excited by being in the presence of "Gaz", and the "mateyness" between them lost contact with what was going on in front of them, Sawyer, obviously unable to be in anyway critical, gushed over the skill of his fellow players whilst ignoring that collectively the team was a shambles. I hope that's the last time McNicol is joined by a current player.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Not up to Sparksy yet but he is getting there.
Obviously, a little biased but not afraid to criticise our players when necessary.
Had a little ‘observation’ about Danny Mayor ‘turning into trouble’ yesterday but, in fairness, sometimes that manoeuvre by Mayor can take 3 players out of the game in one movement.

Aug 24, 2014
Buckingham
Old Gunner":9mvjihzs said:
The change of tactics was good to see. Coops was still rolling the ball out occasionally, but not when it didn't make sense to do so...it kind of nullified the pressing game that Bristol were attempting. .

It's possible the tactics were changed to counteract Barton using same pressing tactics that led to our 5-1 hammering at Fleetwood.. ?

Sep 6, 2006
davie nine":2caaav6n said:
Obviously, a little biased but not afraid to criticise our players when necessary.
Had a little ‘observation’ about Danny Mayor ‘turning into trouble’ yesterday but, in fairness, sometimes that manoeuvre by Mayor can take 3 players out of the game in one movement.

I don't agree with his opinion on the offside law. His view that a player was not interfering if he didn't touch the ball was 'stupid '. Makes perfect sense to me.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Graham Clark":1xr5fpqf said:

Agree regarding Rob McNichol. He's generally excellent to listen to.
I also note he's come out and explained his previous assessments, particularly the Northampton game so kudos to him for doing so...I felt in that game both he and Martin Gritton seemed to think Argyle weren't in any kind of bother until the 80th minute.
He must be a huge improvement for radio only listeners from that Richard (surname Green?) bloke who barely describes any of the action and when he does he doesn't seem to correlate at all with what's happening on the pitch.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
I do agree with Xmastree that current squad members should not co-commentate as Gary Sawyer demonstrated with his understandable reluctance to criticise his team mates. Former Argyle players generally do a good job and Argyle iFollow should stick to that philosophy. Occasionally a non- partisan co-commentator would be welcome as Ian Ayre very ably demonstrated a3ay at Wigan.

As an aside Rob McNichol is also the editor of Bristol Rovers League 1 award winning match day programme. Probably, why he was well informed on Rovers during commentary.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
up_the_line":99t9rodf said:
Graham Clark":99t9rodf said:

Agree regarding Rob McNichol. He's generally excellent to listen to.
I also note he's come out and explained his previous assessments, particularly the Northampton game so kudos to him for doing so...I felt in that game both he and Martin Gritton seemed to think Argyle weren't in any kind of bother until the 80th minute.
He must be a huge improvement for radio only listeners from that Richard (surname Green?) bloke who barely describes any of the action and when he does he doesn't seem to correlate at all with what's happening on the pitch.

I have to say I hope he and Gritton become the regular pairing. Actually intelligent, well informed commentary and a good chemistry between them. Really good for the last couple of games

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Balham_Green":1b7mnsd8 said:
davie nine":1b7mnsd8 said:
I don't agree with his opinion on the offside law. His view that a player was not interfering if he didn't touch the ball was 'stupid '. Makes perfect sense to me.
Debatable and I’m not sure but, at least, he was consistent in his opinion about yesterday’s incident and the one at MK Dons. One would have benefited Rovers and the other benefited Argyle.
Perhaps, Martyn or Lundan Cabbie have an opinion?