Brief Synopsis!!! (Carlisle) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Carlisle)

Sep 7, 2006
Very pleased with the win, and thought Cooper, Palmer and Edwards (first half) were the standouts. Couple of observations - I am yet to see a game when Wootton looks comfortable. Do such games happen but I miss them? Also, why did we water the pitch so much at half time? Several times we slipped while defending in the second half - what do we gain from dousing the field in water?

Mar 14, 2009
I try to be as honest whether we win, draw or loose.

We may be 8th but l stand by what lve said the last six weeks. I donā€™t think we are promotion material.

We struggled today against a very poor side. One that you could visibly see was short on confidence. At times they resembled us where they gave away the ball in sloppy areas. Going forward they looked like a side with a lack of penetration. Yet Argyle made sure they still allowed them opportunities in the most frustrating fashion. A great example was the 90th chance where Wootton allows their left sided player to pass him easily and better composure may have resulted in another give away goal.

The first half was OK. When Cooper found the range with his crossing we caused their static defence problems. We were in control without really capitalising on situations in the final third.

The second half was very poor. We were sloppy. If Carlisle had anything about them they could easily got back into this game. We just kept turning over the ball. Pass after pass went astray. We didnā€™t really look threatening off a corner or free kick. It was all a matter of could we hold on. We did, yet it was such an unconvincing display.

Canavan and Sarceveic are the only two Adams signings who might/should escape the cull. Riley, Wootton, Sawyer arenā€™t good enough. Canavan might be decent around better defenders. Sarcevic needs to be more consistent. For me he looks knackered in games. He doesnā€™t influence the game either ends of the pitch. I know he scored today but too many times l find he goes missing for sizeable chunks of the game. The annoying thing is you can see he has got some ability.

One other player that frustrates me crazy is Joel Grant. I said last season and l maintain this season he is a wide player with the ability to score goals. You play him down the middle he gets bullied by the more physical centre halves. He doesnā€™t hold the ball up well enough. There is an art to it that he simply doesnā€™t do.

Too many times the balls get played into our forwards feet and they loose the ball. If you want a comparision look at Billy Clarke. A diminutive figure but his brief hold up play touches were a lot more convincing and brought others into play.

Argyle simply donā€™t have the outlet on the right side. We lack a physicality at both ends of the pitch. We also need more pace and energy around the field. For example, l thought Edwards was very good today, especially first half. Yet he needs help and we rely too much on him to break up the opposition play.

Finally the defence. Iā€™m sorry but Wootton may work hard. I understand he is a genuine person who gives his all. Yet he is a liability. He gives away the ball in bad areas. He gets beaten by pace too easily. His decision making is poor in the system we play. Having him and Sawyer in the team back line makes us unbelievably vulnerable on the counter attack. Teams with any pace look like pulling us apart.

Iā€™m fully behind Lowe. Iā€™ve always said it takes time for us to evolve. This current squad is mid table standard lm afraid. It just doesnā€™t look right at all. Today was poor going forward because of the reasons lve mentioned above. Itā€™s the same thing we highlighted throughout the last 11 games. I donā€™t think itā€™s rectified by this current group because itā€™s not only a physicality that you play football by, but also with your head. The effort is there. Iā€™m afraid the ability to play football this way isnā€™t. If we played more agricultural style of league two football we might be more effective with what we have at our disposal. Maybe a change of system to a 4-3-3 would suit the current squad better. I say this because you can have control the game still but play J V Grant and Mayor in wider more attacking positions and donā€™t have to rely on Riley and Macfadzean for your width. You can then strengthen the middle of the pitch with Edwards being the key figure.

A season of frustration l believe awaits unless in January there are some massive personal changes. Personally, l think we might have to wait until the summer.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Whilst we may not ā€œlook like promotion materialā€, the fact weā€™ve been largely inconsistent under a new manager, gone through a huge squad overhaul and are learning a new system, yet are only a couple points of the playoffs at this point, shows that if we can go up another gear we are well in with a shout. This league is bad.

If we are still in this position come January, Iā€™d really fancy our chances.

I 100% agree with MGMā€™s suggestion of 4-3-3 though, I said as much in the week. Weā€™ve got so much attacking quality that 5 at the back seems wasteful and the two wing backs (mainly Riley) arenā€™t as effective as Cooper/Mayor as wingers would be.

Feb 10, 2019
Cobi Budge":17gwkdfc said:
mde203":17gwkdfc said:
We won. We were the better of a poor side and a truly awful one. We really missed Danny Mayor.

Think thatā€™s harsh.

We did what most food teams would do to a team like Carlisle. We kept them at bay by controlling periods in possession and out of possession. It was fairly comfortable and you felt we had another gear to go to if needed.
With respect, Cobi, that is just not true. You do not hold back when you are only winning 1-0. We did need to up another gear or two. We didnā€™t because we couldnā€™t. We were not comfortable at any time in my opinion. It was a game between two poor teams today. We were bad and they were worse. Iā€™ll take the win but letā€™s not pretend it was anything but very poor quality.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Leigham Green":ung140kl said:
Cobi Budge":ung140kl said:
mde203":ung140kl said:
We won. We were the better of a poor side and a truly awful one. We really missed Danny Mayor.

Think thatā€™s harsh.

We did what most food teams would do to a team like Carlisle. We kept them at bay by controlling periods in possession and out of possession. It was fairly comfortable and you felt we had another gear to go to if needed.
With respect, Cobi, that is just not true. You do not hold back when you are only winning 1-0. We did need to up another gear or two. We didnā€™t because we couldnā€™t. We were not comfortable at any time in my opinion. It was a game between two poor teams today. We were bad and they were worse. Iā€™ll take the win but letā€™s not pretend it was anything but very poor quality.

Meh, opinions, I respect yours but I felt at ease throughout, Carlisle barely threatened. I thought it was a comfortable, solid performance, nothing spectacular, nothing spectacular, but a 6 or 7/10 display in which we were the better side throughout.

Sep 2, 2008
JannerinCardiff":2ykgl7o5 said:
Non many minutes on the pitch but to me Clarke seemed an intelligent player with some neat touches who might offer something.

I agree. He looked after the ball very well. Good first touch, composed and was always moving. I know it was only 14/15 mins but he showed enough for me to want to have another look.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I also agree with those saying Billy Clarke had a tidy cameo. He pretty much played in the CAM position. Gave depth to our attacks. Moved well, some good touches and passes.

Jan 30, 2016
Not the best game I have ever seen at Home Park, but I enjoyed the second goal.
I like Riley as a full back but he is not a wing back as he lacks pace and cannot beat a player - Would like to see Brian Moore as wing back.

Agree with some posters - thought that Clarke looked like a creative footballer.

Looking forward to Tuesday.

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
Welcome return to some atmosphere in the Lyndhurst. The club have listened? Played a part in driving us on in the 2nd half. Stand outs for me, Cooper, who mixes it up more than Mayor, and the back line. Nice cameos from Moore and Clarke. Another 3pts possible on Tuesday and all bets off for the derby?!! :scarf:

up the line

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Cobi Budge":33egx3yq said:
Leigham Green":33egx3yq said:
Cobi Budge":33egx3yq said:
mde203":33egx3yq said:

Think thatā€™s harsh.

Meh, opinions, I respect yours but I felt at ease throughout, Carlisle barely threatened. I thought it was a comfortable, solid performance, nothing spectacular, nothing spectacular, but a 6 or 7/10 display in which we were the better side throughout.

I'm happy with the days work but I'm not sure you can consider a side to have hardly threatened when they hit the bar twice and our keeper has to save at close range and have a goal disallowed for a close (but correct) offside.
The stats show that Carlisle had 11 shots which is one more than Argyle.
They won't be able to give better teams that many opportunities.

Jul 12, 2016
MGM, once again sensible comments. We showed in glimpses the fast,attacking football promised but for long periods it was more of what we have previously witnessed this season.
Carlisle were poor yet we struggled to beat them. Wootton seems incapable of passing a ball, our attack is powderpuff ,Sarcevic still tries but is like a carthorse and we are very vulnerable to a counter attack. Anything is possible in this division but we look miles away from being promotion candidates on this showing.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Missed Mayor today. Our performance was very workmanlike with only Coops providing the creativity.

Going forwards we need Telford back, although Billy Clarke looked tidy when he came on.

Carlisle were awful though and we did enough to win.

On a nice little run now, starting to show some positive consistency and long may it continue. One game at a time. Win on Tuesday and we could be in the playoffs again. :thumbup:

Tugboat

Cream First
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 24, 2007
So whereā€™s our critical weakness for this implementation of fast paced attacking football?

Poor fullbacks? Defensively unreliable?
Lack of spark in midfield? No cutting edge up top?

Or all of the above?

Mar 14, 2009
Just to add after watching the highlights...

It was Woottonā€™s late challenge in the first half that allowed the Carlisle player to slip the ball through as the ref played on. Itā€™s in the highlights where you see the player power it past the right hand post.

It was Wootton marking the player off the corner they headed against the crossbar from in the second half. You can see he runs off him.

Finally, you can see at the end of the match one long punt and Wootton is beaten over the top. He looks like he is running in quick sand. He doesnā€™t help either Riley just stands and watches and doesnā€™t try and help out his team mate.

That right hand side of the defence is a problem. Not just defending but offensively both of them offer very little. Wootton is not existent in either box and Riley hasnā€™t a clue what to do with the ball when going forward.