Brief Synopsis!!! (Carlisle) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Carlisle)

Jun 27, 2019
demportdave":3kqvvmoe said:
davie nine":3kqvvmoe said:
Joe Riley is working hard in his RWB role but he does often expose us to counter attacks by misplacing his final pass.
Wootton, similarly, for someone who has played at a higher level, his distribution is disappointing.
I am surprised at the criticism of Gary Sawyer. He may be exposed when up against a pacy forward but, today, he had a very good game and, even though he is one of our older players, he looks as fit as any of our team and seemed to occasionally swap roles with McFadzean as an attacking full back.
Canavan also looked composed and comfortable today.
Good to have a clean sheet.
Wooton’s distribution is poor and he is clearly not suited to the style of football that Lowe wants Argyle to play.

It's not the style of play Wooton isn't suited to, it's defending.

CFG

Jun 21, 2013
Tugboat":2cqs8oc2 said:
Cobi Budge":2cqs8oc2 said:
I think some people need to cheer up a bit to be honest. A fairly comfortable win yesterday, 5 unbeaten, only 1 conceded in the last 3, up to 8th, January window still to come, largely playing attractive football, home again on Tuesday night, going in the right direction.
Do you know what..

I think, in hindsight obviously, if Lowe had come out when he took over and said this season will be a complete transitional period involving a new tactical change with a new group of player and it’ll take a little time, be patient. I think we would have gone for that and understood it better.

Our downfall is the expectation built up from Lowe and co being over positive and whilst I applaud that positivity I can only feel it’s played against him somewhatas the fanbase are seeing us fail in comparison to his vision.

Id put it down to a little naivety with inexperience but he has a big heart and trying to do the right thing.

I think we owe it to him right now to rein ourselves back as supporters and let us build with time. It’s clear we still need at least 2 windows to build the team we need. Hopefully we do go up this season and no one will be more dissaponted than Lowe himself if we don’t but we’re in it for the long haul, always have been always will be. We need to show we are right there next to him and the team for the foreseeable

This makes perfect sense to me.

Jul 18, 2011
Where has Lowe been over positive? From what I’ve seen he has been very realistic about what he was expecting this season.

The fans on the other hand...

Jul 12, 2016
Abbotts Ann Green":ykzy110u said:
Where has Lowe been over positive? From what I’ve seen he has been very realistic about what he was expecting this season.

Taylor capable of 20 goals this season! A realistic expectation ? :facepalm:

Oct 20, 2015
PL2 3DQ":2iuqyx7r said:
By now the ref Alan Young was throwing around yellow cards like there was no tomorrow, the bookings were mainly aimed at a player in a green shirt for what was usually a first misdemeanour, I hope Alan Young will remember, a southern fan don't need him around, anyhow.

Lynyrd reference noted. :cool:

Jun 27, 2019
oldage":2q1arjiw said:
Abbotts Ann Green":2q1arjiw said:

Taylor capable of 20 goals this season! A realistic expectation ? :facepalm:

Did he make any promises on that front? No, of course he didn't. It was a public challenge to a player who isn't renowned for his goalscoring prowess. Lowe isn't Derek Adams, he actually likes his strikers to score goals, and by setting Taylor that unofficial target he's a) trying to motivate him, and b) giving himself an easy reason to get rid of him if he doesn't get near it.

Looking back on Lowe's main pre-season interview, I don't see anything to suggest that Lowe over promised. In fact, he specifically called it a 'work in progress' and warned fans not to expect too much, too soon...

“We also know it’s a work in progress. It’s not just going to happen overnight, and I think the fans know that enough.

“They are well educated down here aren’t they? We want to produce but it’s going to take a long hard season to do that.”

Seems pretty realistic, no?

The doubters can bleat on all they like about Lowe's positivity, but I'll take that approach all day long over Dour Derek. He will get it right here, and when he does I hope those who questioned him before the clocks even went back will put their hands up and admit they were too hasty.

Oct 20, 2015
Metal_Green_Mickey":3w3opcix said:
I don’t think it’s rectified by this current group because it’s not only a physicality that you play football by, but also with your head. The effort is there. I’m afraid the ability to play football this way isn’t. If we played more agricultural style of league two football we might be more effective with what we have at our disposal. Maybe a change of system to a 4-3-3 would suit the current squad better. I say this because you can have control the game still but play J V Grant and Mayor in wider more attacking positions and don’t have to rely on Riley and Macfadzean for your width. You can then strengthen the middle of the pitch with Edwards being the key figure.

This in spades. I've been saying the same thing (albeit in a slightly different way) for weeks: get the basics right first. Defend well and defend in numbers. It was obvious from the game at Northampton in August that the Ryan Lowe style does not have the ability to match the ambition.

This is League Two. We need to be physically hard to beat. If that means we are not easy on the eye, so be it. The flair can wait until the personnel fit in the system - one or two transfer windows away.

Beating a deflated Carlisle at home is not enough to set our season on fire. I'm afraid MGM is right, we are destined for mid-table in the 2019-20 season, despite a 'big name' manager and cash injection to the squad.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I find it sad that already, people are eager to throw out the attractive football because of impatience regarding results, I worried this would happen though.

Clearly, during the recruitment process one of the prerequisites was to appoint a manager who plays an attractive brand. This was following years of fairly functional football & the vast majority of fans agreed with this, and were crying out for some more entertainment.

The vast majority even seemed to accept that things may not click overnight. Ryan Lowe hasn’t come in and had the luxury of picking up/continuing a similar brand left behind by his predecessor, he’s instead changing the entire playing philosophy at the club.

Despite people accepting that things may not click overnight, it’s sad but predictable to see that so many have forgotten that, and are frustrated with us being 8th, yes, 8th, but with the panic mode some people are in you’d think we were in the bottom 3 or 4.

I want us to carry on playing the football we are and I doubt Lowe will change it, he shouldn’t. I’d rather it took us a little longer to go up playing attractive stuff, than just caving and becoming a typical L2 blood and snotters team, which would lay no foundations going forward. Have patience, and let Lowe’s appointment be a blueprint going forward for attractive football at Argyle. We don’t need to revert to something uglier in search of a quick fix.

Oct 20, 2015
moles40":8hetrv8q said:
So basically these posters are saying we cannot compete with any of the 7 sides above us in the League :funny:

Current record against top 7:
Played: 4, Won 1, Drawn 1, Lost 2

We're facing Exeter on Saturday and next month we'll be playing FGR and Bradford.

Do you think our record against the top 7 is going to improve by Dec 1st, Moles?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
There are signs that Lowe has changed his philosophy because in the last two games there have been more long balls to the strikers.
Against Swindon and Carlisle the left and right centre-backs hit long balls into the channels for the strikers.
Previously this season the left and right centre-backs would pass infield to Edwards which often put him in danger or they would pass to the middle centre-back.

So we've definitely become more direct while also keeping parts of the short passing game.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I've noticed that and welcome it.

Not only is PAFC work in progress but Ryan Lowe is as well, he's a rookie and will learn match by match, season by season.

I have a feeling that Neil Dewsnip is a wise old head and is quite influential to both the Gaffer and Shuey.

As Cobi said above we have to be patient and it will come, RL is an attacking minding manager which most of us asked for after DA's more 'prudent' type of footie.

Jul 12, 2016
PL2 3DQ":1wvp75g9 said:
There are signs that Lowe has changed his philosophy because in the last two games there have been more long balls to the strikers.
Against Swindon and Carlisle the left and right centre-backs hit long balls into the channels for the strikers.
Previously this season the left and right centre-backs would pass infield to Edwards which often put him in danger or they would pass to the middle centre-back.

So we've definitely become more direct while also keeping parts of the short passing game.
I also noticed this on Saturday. By mixing it up it keeps the opposition guessing.

Sep 6, 2006
slingsby_pobble":2e71sixs said:
moles40":2e71sixs said:
So basically these posters are saying we cannot compete with any of the 7 sides above us in the League :funny:

Current record against top 7:
Played: 4, Won 1, Drawn 1, Lost 2

We're facing Exeter on Saturday and next month we'll be playing FGR and Bradford.

Do you think our record against the top 7 is going to improve by Dec 1st, Moles?

Omg the might fgr! Quaking in our boots.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
oldage":3ugjcldn said:
PL2 3DQ":3ugjcldn said:

I also noticed this on Saturday. By mixing it up it keeps the opposition guessing.
I think the reason for the change is because opponents are encouraging their attackers to remain in advanced position when we have a goal kick in order to challenge the short pass.
I assume that his thinking is to vary this strategy in able to bypass the advanced opponents.
It is important that the keeper’s distribution is accurate and, currently, I believe that this is an area that Palmer needs to improve. Mike Cooper’s distribution is swift and accurate, including when throwing the ball out.