Brief Synopsis!!! (Carlisle) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Carlisle)

Aug 11, 2013
A workmanlike performance against the worst team to visit HP this season. 6/10 performance was enough to secure the points although this game could easily have been a draw. The header against the bar by them should have been buried quite honestly.

I was a bit bored throughout and thought this was a dull game.

I thought Wootton did ok today. A 6/10 performance but he always has a mistake in him and always goes to sleep at least once during a game. It’s like he goes into a daydream? Another example today nearly led to a one on one and an equaliser. Another occasion the ball is going harmlessly out for a throw to us an he hoofs it into the back of the stands to give the opposition the throw and the impetus. He’d help my nerves considerably if he could improve just a bit.

Dec 3, 2005
Raul 1":2p05pua1 said:
Very pleased with the win, and thought Cooper, Palmer and Edwards (first half) were the standouts. Couple of observations - I am yet to see a game when Wootton looks comfortable. Do such games happen but I miss them? Also, why did we water the pitch so much at half time? Several times we slipped while defending in the second half - what do we gain from dousing the field in water?

I assume the Manager requests it - but as you say on many occasions i wonder WHY, you see many slip sliding away.

Yes a very poor game, between two poor teams, thankfully we WON.

I still shudder at the amount of messing around at the back - an Argyle free-kick on the halfway line should never end up wih our Goalie!

ÂŁpoints in the bag - let's move onto Tuesday and welcome Carl Fletcher back to Home Park and then beat his new team!

Mar 14, 2009
Tugboat":v4di991d said:
So where’s our critical weakness for this implementation of fast paced attacking football?

Poor fullbacks? Defensively unreliable?
Lack of spark in midfield? No cutting edge up top?

Or all of the above?

The main concern is all of the above.

The defence is a good counter attacking team away from a thrashing.

The right hand side there is no cutting edge.

The front two work hard, yet the ball just keeps being recycled back to the opposition.

People thought Lowe was just going to waltz in here and get promotion playing great football.

The reality is to do this you need to build a squad of fast thinking, intelligent, energetic players.

You tell me if that describes Sawyer, Wootton, Riley, Sarcevic, C Grant, Taylor etc....??

Lowe has to take some of the responsibility for his tactics but bearing in mind he was lumbered with these players on two year deals and he has had a number of injuries to deal with l just think expectations are impatient.

He needed to see these players first hand. You have to give them a decent amount of time for them to show they can adapt. This all takes a significant amount of time. If next season some of these players remain or he keep making similar tactical, repeated mistakes then it’s worth questioning.

I despair, not with you Tuggers personally, yet just in general how some of the fan base were thinking it was going to be an overnight success without the foundations of hard work. Oh and yes Lowe did generate the “hype” for increased expectations but seriously you have to be naive to swallow things he said like telling us a “Taylor was going to be a 20 goal a season forward”. It was done with the effect of trying to boost the players confidence. The same as he has done with Wootton for example.

You judge a manager by what they do on the pitch with their team. Not what they say. So far lm unimpressed by what l’ve seen but l believe a number of factors (as mentioned above) have contributed to this.

I have no problem with a manager using sound bites. Everyone lapped it up when Adams said after beating Exeter at SJP that Devon is painted green and White tonight. Yet l only really listen to what they say after a game on their thoughts about how we played. You start to listen and after a while you work out if they are BS’ing or not. All the other stuff is just press conference hype to promote the club.

Normally, new manager comes in and you get that “new manager bounce”. Some good results at times. Yet after a few months that ebbs away and what your left with is the foundations that manager is building the club on. Only in 12-18 months can we really start to see the hard work Lowe has done and whether it is paying off. After 3 months/12 games of Lowe’s first season lm stratching my head a little as to how people can seriously judge the management team given the total change of style he is trying to implement and those current players he is having to use.

So basically, lots of work to do all over the pitch but you just got to have faith in the manager that he will deliver down the line. Everyone wants it NOW, unfortunately at this moment we are struggling (in terms of performances) and l think we will continue to struggle for the foreseeable future.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Joe Riley is working hard in his RWB role but he does often expose us to counter attacks by misplacing his final pass.
Wootton, similarly, for someone who has played at a higher level, his distribution is disappointing.
I am surprised at the criticism of Gary Sawyer. He may be exposed when up against a pacy forward but, today, he had a very good game and, even though he is one of our older players, he looks as fit as any of our team and seemed to occasionally swap roles with McFadzean as an attacking full back.
Canavan also looked composed and comfortable today.
Good to have a clean sheet.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
davie nine":3rsy1986 said:
Joe Riley is working hard in his RWB role but he does often expose us to counter attacks by misplacing his final pass.
Wootton, similarly, for someone who has played at a higher level, his distribution is disappointing.
I am surprised at the criticism of Gary Sawyer. He may be exposed when up against a pacy forward but, today, he had a very good game and, even though he is one of our older players, he looks as fit as any of our team and seemed to occasionally swap roles with McFadzean as an attacking full back.

I agree with this report.. Carlisle did hit our woodwork on 2 occasions and were not quite as dire as some would suggest. They kept plugging on and certainly gave the right side of Argyle's defence some panicky moments. Wootton should be told never to stray into the opposition's half as his passing is weak and Riley should know by now that he cannot beat a full back on the outside for speed and leave a gap behind him. It was good to get 3 points in the bag, but the need for a stand-out striker remains.

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Yes, it’s not only good to keep a clean sheet, but so far this season essential to winning. All 5 league wins & both cup wins have seen us concede 0.

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
I thought Gary Sawyer was excellent today and has actually improved from last season, so I don't get the criticism. I agree that Wooton is a liability. The new bloke impressed me in the short time he was on the pitch. We are still our own worst enemy, trying too many tricks or clever passes which don't come off, playing hospital passes and not moving the ball quick enough. But we are still missing some key players (wish Baxter was fit) and meanwhile we are improving a bit. Oh and Edwards was much better in the middle, he was back to his best today I thought. But yes, it was dull at times. We were so lucky when we had Carey and Lameiras providing excitement and trickery. I do miss that but hey ho. Onwards and upwards.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Gary Sawyer has played really well in the last three games I’ve seen (I missed Swindon) I thought he was MoM at Mansfield, could easily have been again v Scumthorpe and as you say he did well yesterday.

He’s not the fastest but has a brain on him that’s for sure.

Jul 4, 2008
newton abbot
Enjoyed the game yesterday. I don't mind winning a game the way we did. Much more direct, less tippy-tappy and more control. I think Lowe sent out a team to do exactly that. May not be to everyone's liking but a win and three points will do. On the Sawyer debate, he is a rock this season. I don't mean static but knows the game inside out.

Jul 3, 2013
Short and simple.

Carlise are the worst team I have seen in a very long time.

We played our worst game of the season (I wasn’t at Northampton) but we have played much better and lost.

Although I’m not keen on Sawyer, he had a good game and was my man of the match.

3 points needed and 3 point achieved.

I think we have 5/6 players missing that would start every week if fit or not suspended.

Apr 5, 2008
Some of these posts are depressing you would think we are bottom or something.

We are just outside the playoffs,players who would play are either injured or suspended yet some posters say we won't be anything but a mid table team,promotion is virtually impossible.

So basically these posters are saying we cannot compete with any of the 7 sides above us in the League :funny:

So let's just tell RL to give up for the season shall we,sorry Ryan your not good enough for the top 7 with THIRTY TWO games to go and one point from the top 7.

Absolutely tragic attitude some have in here!

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
davie nine":2kdvdr1f said:
I thought Sawyer had a pretty solid game and I also thought McFadzean looked better defensively, particularly in the second half when Carlisle were pushing for an equaliser. His defending has been a bit suspect for much of the season but he did well yesterday.

We still look vulnerable down our right side, I don’t have much faith in Riley or Wooton. As well as as being suspect defensively, Wooton’s distribution is poor and he is clearly not suited to the style of football that Lowe wants Argyle to play.

Josh Grant has come through Chelsea’s academy playing with good players and he is far more comfortable with the ball at his feet. Yet he is currently the 5th choice CB behind 3 Adams legacy defenders and another brought down from Bury who has been dropped.

Sep 6, 2006
demportdave":1ngzxubp said:
davie nine":1ngzxubp said:
I thought Sawyer had a pretty solid game and I also thought McFadzean looked better defensively, particularly in the second half when Carlisle were pushing for an equaliser. His defending has been a bit suspect for much of the season but he did well yesterday.

We still look vulnerable down our right side, I don’t have much faith in Riley or Wooton. As well as as being suspect defensively, Wooton’s distribution is poor and he is clearly not suited to the style of football that Lowe wants Argyle to play.

Josh Grant has come through Chelsea’s academy playing with good players and he is far more comfortable with the ball at his feet. Yet he is currently the 5th choice CB behind 3 Adams legacy defenders and another brought down from Bury who has been dropped.

But from what Ive seen Demport Josh Grant cant defend either!

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I think some people need to cheer up a bit to be honest. A fairly comfortable win yesterday, 5 unbeaten, only 1 conceded in the last 3, up to 8th, January window still to come, largely playing attractive football, home again on Tuesday night, going in the right direction.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Cobi Budge":sgkh65gf said:
I think some people need to cheer up a bit to be honest. A fairly comfortable win yesterday, 5 unbeaten, only 1 conceded in the last 3, up to 8th, January window still to come, largely playing attractive football, home again on Tuesday night, going in the right direction.
Do you know what..

I think, in hindsight obviously, if Lowe had come out when he took over and said this season will be a complete transitional period involving a new tactical change with a new group of player and it’ll take a little time, be patient. I think we would have gone for that and understood it better.

Our downfall is the expectation built up from Lowe and co being over positive and whilst I applaud that positivity I can only feel it’s played against him somewhatas the fanbase are seeing us fail in comparison to his vision.

Id put it down to a little naivety with inexperience but he has a big heart and trying to do the right thing.

I think we owe it to him right now to rein ourselves back as supporters and let us build with time. It’s clear we still need at least 2 windows to build the team we need. Hopefully we do go up this season and no one will be more dissaponted than Lowe himself if we don’t but we’re in it for the long haul, always have been always will be. We need to show we are right there next to him and the team for the foreseeable