Brief Synopsis!!! (Newport) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Newport)

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
Kevb77":23ptl9yu said:
Thought me missed Sarcevic massively today, we had absolutely no drive from midfield at all. Bakinson does alright but isn’t the combative midfielder like Sarce.

And can some one please explain the point of Conor Grant? He offers the square root of zero to the team, his only asset is a decent left leg but from a central position it’s redundant.

Thought he played more as defensive midfield just in front of the back 3 to break up play, so wouldn’t expect him to barge forward similar to Sarce

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":2bjxs7ev said:
ARgYLE WON!

Phew!

For all our attractive attacking style of football this season this win was built on a solid defensive display and resolute character from the players, none more so than Gary Sawyer who was up against a difficult player in Jordan Green (ironically) and even though he was red carded in the 85th minute Sawyer's defensive display and that of his team mates was enough to win the three points.
The attacking players have received all the plaudits this season so it's only fair that the defensive unit get the credit for this win.

In truth both defences came out on top, Luke Jephcott and Ryan Hardie were starved of any decent service and we appeared to settle for the early goal from Ty Bakinson.

Credit to Newport, they are another visiting team like Crawley who had a real go at us and maybe deserved something from the game but in the grand scheme of things promotion is won on winning games just like this.

Josh Grant and Antoni Sarcevic were missing from the squad, in came Conor Grant and Danny Mayor and Hardie and Jephcott formed a partnership up front.

We had the perfect start to the game when Mayor took a short corner to Assist who fired a great cross to the far post and there was Bakinson to arrive late and tap in. 1-0 so early.

Newport recovered from this early disaster and came at us, especially down our left side with Green. Sawyer initially struggled to cope with him and could have done with some assistance from Assist.
Palmer saved a shot from Labadie and from Jamille Matt as Newport won a string of corners.

Mayor started to have an influence on the game, he combined well with Assist on the left and carved out a chance for Hardie which was saved.
Conor Grant had a low shot well saved after more good work from Mayor to set him up. Wootton had a far post chance from a corner but the ball wouldn't drop quick enough to enable him to get a shot on target.

Green was still causing problems for the Greens and we did well to go in at half-time still in the lead.

The second half started with Newport again putting us under pressure, we were content to soak up their attacks and play on the counter attacks.
Mayor's influence on the game was not as pronounced as the first half which meant we had trouble keeping hold of the ball, sloppy passes went astray, simple passes missed their intended target and we looked weak in midfield.
This was remedied with Conor Grant getting subbed and Edwards coming on.

Newport, again like Crawley, played three forwards right up against our defence, is this the opposition blueprint on how to play against us?

We couldn't find that elusive second goal and couldn't keep hold of the ball but whatever Newport could throw at us Sawyer, Canavan and Wootton held strong backed up by Palmer who came for crosses and corners, however the pressure from Newport was building and building.

Taylor replaced the tiring Jephcott, this was quickly followed by Sawyer receiving a red card for a lunge on Green. I've seen worse tackles that only get a yellow card.
Bakinson slotted into defence and Randell came on in midfield with Hardie sacrificed.

Newport laid siege on our goal and we got lucky when a long range shot cannoned off the woodwork. Long throws were launched in, long balls were launched in but still Canavan and his mates held firm.

The biggest cheer of the day was the final whistle. We dodged a bullet.

We could and should have scored more goals to have put this game to bed but once again credit to the opposition who at times were the better attacking team.

Sawyer was immense, ok he got a red card and now a 3 game ban but his defensive performance and the way he handled Green was superb.
Canavan and Wootton blocked, headed and tackle well helped by Bakinson screening them in midfield.
Mayor ran the game in the first half but tired and maybe should have been subbed late in the game.
Moore showed once again he's our best RWB.

Conor Grant was given a chance to show what he can do but apart from a good shot on goal the game passed him by, he was lethargic and wasted possession, we really missed the drive Sarcevic brings to the team.
Another assist for Assist, he has to play in the team purely for his assists and set-piece delivery but his defensive side of the game needs to improve.

Jephcott and Hardie did ok and there are signs that a partnership could happen, there isn't much talk in modern football of striker partnerships with most teams opting to play with just one striker. Today Jephcott and Hardie didn't get the service they needed.

A battling win built on a strong defensive performance.

Man of the Match - Sawyer.

Palmer 7, Wootton 7, Canavan 7, Sawyer 8, Bakinson 7, Moore 7, Conor Grant 5, Mayor 6, Assist 7, Jephcott 6, Hardie 6. Subs - Edwards 6, Taylor n/a, Randell n/a.

I’m glad at least someone agrees with me that Sawyer had a great game.

Sep 2, 2008
Kevb77":2oncnks8 said:
Thought me missed Sarcevic massively today, we had absolutely no drive from midfield at all. Bakinson does alright but isn’t the combative midfielder like Sarce.

And can some one please explain the point of Conor Grant? He offers the square root of zero to the team, his only asset is a decent left leg but from a central position it’s redundant.

Absolutely agree 100%. I was screaming for him to be pulled in the first half. He really is a passenger in this team. Cannot pick out a pass, cannot drive forward with the ball, always getting the wrong side of his man so never winning the second ball, no energy, no drive. The game really does pass him by. You could notice the difference when Edwards came on. Newport are a solid side and I'm glad we don't have to play them anymore. They will take points off the top half teams. My MOM was Byron Moore. They guy was faultless today. He always seems to make the right decision and always puts himself in the right position. I cant remember him ever giving the ball away and his pace always allowed him to tidy things up when we found ourselves floundering a bit. Mayor was absent, Cooper was sloppy, Hardies first touch was atrocious and Jephcott looked heavy legged yet....we still came away with the three points :wtf:

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Pottypilgrim":31bc4beh said:
Kevb77":31bc4beh said:

Absolutely agree 100%. I was screaming for him to be pulled in the first half. He really is a passenger in this team. Cannot pick out a pass, cannot drive forward with the ball, always getting the wrong side of his man so never winning the second ball, no energy, no drive. The game really does pass him by. You could notice the difference when Edwards came on. Newport are a solid side and I'm glad we don't have to play them anymore. They will take points off the top half teams. My MOM was Byron Moore. They guy was faultless today. He always seems to make the right decision and always puts himself in the right position. I cant remember him ever giving the ball away and his pace always allowed him to tidy things up when we found ourselves floundering a bit. Mayor was absent, Cooper was sloppy, Hardies first touch was atrocious and Jephcott looked heavy legged yet....we still came away with the three points :wtf:

Agreed re Moore. Just about the pick. Doesn’t seem to waste possession ever and can alternate between positions at will.
Harsh on Mayor who played well, including winning a free kick on the edge that, inevitability Love Island couldn't get on target.
We will look much better once Fadz is back

Mar 14, 2009
up_the_line":lnnuv6vl said:
Pottypilgrim":lnnuv6vl said:
Kevb77":lnnuv6vl said:

Agreed re Moore. Just about the pick. Doesn’t seem to waste possession ever and can alternate between positions at will.
Harsh on Mayor who played well, including winning a free kick on the edge that, inevitability Love Island couldn't get on target.

I'm glad someone else mentioned about C Grant. I just think he needs a rocket up his arse at times.

Edwards comes on and moves around and tries to give Moore an outlet. C Grant just seems to allow games to bypass him as he just has no influence on many games he played. Like today, there was a shot in the first half following good work by Hardie and Mayor but can't really think of much else.

Apr 4, 2015
Thought we were lucky again today which isn't a bad thing but it can lead to being a bit over confident.

Palmer was my man of the match with a few good saves, I thought swayer was getting mullered all day by their pacey little winger with very little help from Cooper and thats why he ended up getting sent off, due to his own frustration but others obviously disagree. Mayor played ok and once again was instrumental in our goal but was very quiet second half, as were the whole team. We missed sarce big time and Connor grant had a poor game. Overall, defence was excellent, midfield average and I do like the look of Jephcott and Hardie , with the right supply they could be really good imo.

An exciting end to the season beckons and I can't wait for the next game these days which aint a bad thing, nearly 11000 there again aswell, things are really looking up this season.

coyg.

Sep 25, 2010
Good battling performance

Apart from the excellent cross for the goal, thought Cooper was poor today, tries hard, but his crosses and passes were very wasteful and over hit. He is having a good season thou, but not very good today.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Pottypilgrim":1xk5v6rh said:
Kevb77":1xk5v6rh said:

Have to agree about Conor Grant. A complete passenger. Edwards was a huge improvement.

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
Enjoyed the game, I dare say Newport like Crawley raised their game and made it an uncomfortable afternoon for us.
Plenty up for the battle not least Sawyer, As whilst it looked a red. He had made his presence felt more than once against a fast, tricky winger ( getting limited help from Cooper - who needs to be in the opposition half at all times, doing what he does best, like his cross for the winning goal.)
Also good performances from Palmer, Moore, Mayor and Jephcott.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
up_the_line":3mzh3b2h said:
Pottypilgrim":3mzh3b2h said:
Kevb77":3mzh3b2h said:

I don't understand the 'love island' reference.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
a very nervous win against a robust and skillful side.we missed sarcevic with his energy and surging runs,newport won the midfield.hope we keep jephcott and hardie up front,they will form a good partnership.my ratings;
Alex Palmer - 10
Gary Sawyer - 9
Niall Canavan - 8
Scott Wootton - 6
Byron Moore - 10
Tyreeq Bakinson - 4
Danny Mayor - 4
Conor Grant - 1
George Cooper - 4
Luke Jephcott - 6
Ryan Hardie - 7

May 16, 2016
GreenThing":bpp4ebu1 said:
up_the_line":bpp4ebu1 said:
Pottypilgrim":bpp4ebu1 said:
Kevb77":bpp4ebu1 said:

I don't understand the 'love island' reference.

He's missing V Neck.

Jul 3, 2013
Steve Evans":2jvwxp6c said:
a very nervous win against a robust and skillful side.we missed sarcevic with his energy and surging runs,newport won the midfield.hope we keep jephcott and hardie up front,they will form a good partnership.my ratings;
Alex Palmer - 10
Gary Sawyer - 9
Niall Canavan - 8
Scott Wootton - 6
Byron Moore - 10
Tyreeq Bakinson - 4
Danny Mayor - 4
Conor Grant - 1
George Cooper - 4
Luke Jephcott - 6
Ryan Hardie - 7

And there was me thinking Pantomime season was over!

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I got to say Argyle rode their luck big time today. Both Sarce and Josh Grant cannot get back soon enough and there were below par performances from both regulars Cooper and Mayor, although it was good to see the guy back from injury. At least it were 3 points in the bag. Let's move on to the next game and hope the injured are recovered.