Brief Synopsis!!! (Newport) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Newport)

Oct 20, 2015
Was relieved at the final whistle not least because I had a few quid on 1-0.

There are a few worries for me about the rest of the season. We're still unconvincing at the back despite Sawyer heroics/lunges. Other teams will see how to exploit his and Wooton's lack of pace.

We're ponderous going forwards without Sarce, who could get a knock at any time - I don't like being so dependent on one player.

On the plus side I think we're lucky to have Palmer who is surely better than L2 really. Bakinson doing really well considering he hasn't worn a green shirt before Xmas.

We're continuing to ride our luck and things won't be plain sailing in the away games coming up. I suspect our form will take a nose-dive v Crewe, mainly because I and my family are travelling 4 hours to watch.

Most of all it feels goooooooood to be above Exeter.

COYG

leeroy221

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
May 10, 2015
I thought we were ok for the first 20 or so but after that, we were poor.
Thought Sawyer was one of our best but was lucky not to have seen a red before he did.
Was not impressed with Cooper today, or our midfield. We really miss Sarcevic when he is not playing, there is no calm influence there and no attacking presence there.
Thought Jeff was pretty quiet again today. Think Hardy needs someone like Tays who can knock the ball down for him to run onto.
Lastly, Palmer was a lot better today. Nice to see a keeper dominate his box and dictate to his defenders.

Aug 8, 2013
A few things we learned / reconfirmed today:
Sarcevic is a vital cog;
Cooper is not a wing back (Sawyer took time out at one point to
lecture him on the art of defending; judging by the way he lashed
out at the next ball he received, he didn't appreciate the advice);
Palmer can dominate his area;
Hardie and Jephcott having the makings of a good partnership;
Josh Grant is better than Bakinson;
Conor Grant's invisibility cloak was borrowed from Harry Potter;
Byron Moore is invaluable;
the word is definitely out that our left side is the one to target. Colchester
might get a surprise when they find different personnel there next week.

Mar 8, 2016
Sometime you just need to griz out results, we done that brilliantly today. We wasnā€™t at our best but the team showed character and determination, good on them. We really missed sarce, and how much better did we look as soon as C Grant left the pitch. I pray that guy never has the privilege of wearing our green shirt again. Onwards and upwards. COYG

Oct 31, 2015
Gary S":3non55gw said:
A few things we learned / reconfirmed today:
Sarcevic is a vital cog;
Cooper is not a wing back (Sawyer took time out at one point to
lecture him on the art of defending; judging by the way he lashed
out at the next ball he received, he didn't appreciate the advice);
Palmer can dominate his area;
Hardie and Jephcott having the makings of a good partnership;
Josh Grant is better than Bakinson;
Conor Grant's invisibility cloak was borrowed from Harry Potter;
Byron Moore is invaluable;
the word is definitely out that our left side is the one to target. Colchester
might get a surprise when they find different personnel there next week.

I agree With all those lines mate.

Exactly my thoughts

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
What a mixed bag of opinion. I thought we played some terrific stuff first half (can't believe Mark reckoned we were "poor first half") - we looked really classy at times IMO. There was one move where we must have put together 30 or 40 passes that ended up with a decent shot. It's great to watch and I can't get my head around people wanting us to "put it in the mixer". Newport always looked dangerous though - if was a very entertaining game.

Second half Newport pushed on hard and broke up our game. Bakinson suddenly started missing tackles, making bad decisions and giving the ball away needlessly. Cooper had a bit of a mare - lost count of how often he lost possesion and his usual great delivery disappeared. Sawyer was terrific especially against their best player who could burn him for pace. Jephcott didn't get any clear chance but he is the real deal - great touch, can spin on a six-pence, has a 'football brain' and has already shown he can finish........ I'd bet my left nut he'll go far. Hardie looks decent too - they could be a great partnership for the rest of the season.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable watch and a really good atmosphere - especially in the nail biting finish. Credit to both teams.

Jun 13, 2015
Ave_IT":24tewspb said:
What a mixed bag of opinion. I thought we played some terrific stuff first half (can't believe Mark reckoned we were "poor first half") - we looked really classy at times IMO. There was one move where we must have put together 30 or 40 passes that ended up with a decent shot. It's great to watch and I can't get my head around people wanting us to "put it in the mixer". Newport always looked dangerous though - if was a very entertaining game.

Second half Newport pushed on hard and broke up our game. Bakinson suddenly started missing tackles, making bad decisions and giving the ball away needlessly. Cooper had a bit of a mare - lost count of how often he lost possesion and his usual great delivery disappeared. Sawyer was terrific especially against their best player who could burn him for pace. Jephcott didn't get any clear chance but he is the real deal - great touch, can spin on a six-pence, has a 'football brain' and has already shown he can finish........ I'd bet my left nut he'll go far. Hardie looks decent too - they could be a great partnership for the rest of the season.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable watch and a really good atmosphere - especially in the nail biting finish. Credit to both teams.
This just about sums up my view of todays game, a real old style game end to end at times. Bakinson has the attributes to be a real player, but playing as a defensive midfielder today he looked at times too laid back and Josh Grant plays this role better IMHO. But at least we have excitement at Home Park this season, and boy do I think that most genuine fans are loving it!!

Aug 5, 2016
GreenThing":2xm7qot2 said:
up_the_line":2xm7qot2 said:
Pottypilgrim":2xm7qot2 said:
Kevb77":2xm7qot2 said:
Thought me missed Sarcevic massively today, we had absolutely no drive from midfield at all. Bakinson does alright but isnā€™t the combative midfielder like Sarce.

And can some one please explain the point of Conor Grant? He offers the square root of zero to the team, his only asset is a decent left leg but from a central position itā€™s redundant.

Absolutely agree 100%. I was screaming for him to be pulled in the first half. He really is a passenger in this team. Cannot pick out a pass, cannot drive forward with the ball, always getting the wrong side of his man so never winning the second ball, no energy, no drive. The game really does pass him by. You could notice the difference when Edwards came on. Newport are a solid side and I'm glad we don't have to play them anymore. They will take points off the top half teams. My MOM was Byron Moore. They guy was faultless today. He always seems to make the right decision and always puts himself in the right position. I cant remember him ever giving the ball away and his pace always allowed him to tidy things up when we found ourselves floundering a bit. Mayor was absent, Cooper was sloppy, Hardies first touch was atrocious and Jephcott looked heavy legged yet....we still came away with the three points :wtf:

Agreed re Moore. Just about the pick. Doesnā€™t seem to waste possession ever and can alternate between positions at will.
Harsh on Mayor who played well, including winning a free kick on the edge that, inevitability Love Island couldn't get on target.
We will look much better once Fadz is back

I don't understand the 'love island' reference.

I think the inference is that George Cooper is some kind of vain shallow showpony who cares more about his haircut and his abs than winning games of football.

Mar 21, 2006
Knibbsworth":1jym93ms said:
GreenThing":1jym93ms said:
up_the_line":1jym93ms said:
Pottypilgrim":1jym93ms said:
Kevb77":1jym93ms said:
Thought me missed Sarcevic massively today, we had absolutely no drive from midfield at all. Bakinson does alright but isnā€™t the combative midfielder like Sarce.

And can some one please explain the point of Conor Grant? He offers the square root of zero to the team, his only asset is a decent left leg but from a central position itā€™s redundant.

Absolutely agree 100%. I was screaming for him to be pulled in the first half. He really is a passenger in this team. Cannot pick out a pass, cannot drive forward with the ball, always getting the wrong side of his man so never winning the second ball, no energy, no drive. The game really does pass him by. You could notice the difference when Edwards came on. Newport are a solid side and I'm glad we don't have to play them anymore. They will take points off the top half teams. My MOM was Byron Moore. They guy was faultless today. He always seems to make the right decision and always puts himself in the right position. I cant remember him ever giving the ball away and his pace always allowed him to tidy things up when we found ourselves floundering a bit. Mayor was absent, Cooper was sloppy, Hardies first touch was atrocious and Jephcott looked heavy legged yet....we still came away with the three points :wtf:

Agreed re Moore. Just about the pick. Doesnā€™t seem to waste possession ever and can alternate between positions at will.
Harsh on Mayor who played well, including winning a free kick on the edge that, inevitability Love Island couldn't get on target.
We will look much better once Fadz is back

I don't understand the 'love island' reference.

I think the inference is that George Cooper is some kind of vain shallow showpony who cares more about his haircut and his abs than winning games of football.

I think it was his Chairman at Peterborough who said about George - ā€œheā€™s got so much ability, in 3 years time he could be playing in the Premiership or heā€™ll be on Love Island.ā€ - or words to the effect. Plimuff berds watch out.....

Apr 4, 2004
Ave_IT":1n3yd6uk said:

Hopefully he can have a mare every week for the rest of the season. Because his delivery has won us the game, again.

Sep 25, 2010
Thought it was a good exciting game, thought Newport were a good side.

It was being ā€˜rampedā€™, up in the last 10 mins.

Gaz getting sent off,
Newport really pressing us, sterling defensive work by Argyle
Atmosphere was ā€˜electricā€™, great support from the home fans.
4 mins (only), going up on the board

What happens some ā€˜fansā€™, decide to leave early (I know it is a pet hatred of mine)., for the life of me, I just donā€™t get it,

Why would you want to leave at such an exciting phase of the game, I just donā€™t get or understand it.

(Would you want to leave before the finals scene of a film ?).

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
When / if TB should return to Bristol City, there was a guy playing neat and effective in midfield [No.10] I think, for Newport, whom I would not mind seeing in a green shirt next season

Aug 4, 2011
Martyn":bxwmshgy said:
What happens some ā€˜fansā€™, decide to leave early (I know it is a pet hatred of mine)., for the life of me, I just donā€™t get it,

Why would you want to leave at such an exciting phase of the game, I just donā€™t get or understand it.

You do realise there are screens underneath. Personally in a game like that I wouldn't leave early, but if I had to get to work, home, pub, party - whatever the personal circumstances then I would want to get away a bit early.

I don;t see why people take this judgmental attitude and get so worked up about it. As long as they're not blocking your view whats the problem?

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
football-bet-data":11xcflmx said:
As long as they're not blocking your view whats the problem?

That is the problem, though. Sitting on the end of block 10 I rarely see any action at the Barn Park end during injury time as thereā€™s a queue of people on the steps.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
football-bet-data":2oibxcru said:
Martyn":2oibxcru said:

You do realise there are screens underneath. Personally in a game like that I wouldn't leave early, but if I had to get to work, home, pub, party - whatever the personal circumstances then I would want to get away a bit early.

I don;t see why people take this judgmental attitude and get so worked up about it. As long as they're not blocking your view whats the problem?

I think it's the "I'm a better fan than you are " outlook.

The thing that annoys me is the ones that are up & down 3 or 4 times or more during the game. To & fro to the bar / toilet presumably.

Probably miss more of the game than those who leave when the time added board goes up in order to avoid the slow exit (I sit in block 9).