Brief Synopsis!!! (Northampton) | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Northampton)

Sep 6, 2006
Mark Pedlar":37hp6tdc said:
1) With Matthews returning and Makasi injured there were 2 changes to the starting line-up. Letheren dropped to the bench where he replaced Cooper. Makasi's place was taken by Balham Green's hero Paul Paton with Sarcevic fit enough to take a place on the bench. Ainsworth also fit enough to return where he replaced Sangster. No sign of Taylor unfortunately.

2) Awful first half from Argyle. Reminiscent of a game in October or against Charlton. Toothless up front with no shots on target and very little possession. Lameiras unable to find a green shirt with a pass and everyone taking turns in giving the ball away with a loose pass. Northampton totally deserved their lead, Argyle having 3 or 4 warnings before they scored.

3) Grant and Carey unable to get into the game. Paton clearly not used to his role, and alongside an off form Threlkeld we were exposed down the right a lot. Matthews made a point blank save and but for Bradley and some wild finishing from Northampton we were lucky to go in only 1 down.

4) We needed to make changes at half-time, would today be the day that Adams recognised that plan A wasn't working and have something else up his sleeve? Half time news from the other grounds wasn't good either. It wasn't looking like it was going to be a great day.

5) Argyle started the second half far more brightly than they had been at any point in the first 45. Paton went down injured and was replaced by Sarcevic to a warm welcome from the Argyle fans. Argyle switched Grant and Lameiras. Matthews made another great save. Argyle reverted to type and the second duly followed.

6) Argyle started going long with no result. Matthews made yet another save. We were being over run. Chances came and went for Northampton. If you had no idea which team was facing the threat of relegation you would guess it was the team in green. The first Argyle shot on target came from Threlkeld in the 72nd minute.

7) Into the final 15 and Ainsworth replaced Fox. Carey now more central in a 4-4-2 with Ainsworth on the right. Last 10 and Fletcher on for the ineffective Grant. The game well and truly lost, although I must admit I lost confidence after conceding at the end of the first. We were playing so badly I couldn't see us ever scoring.

8 ) Vyner had one of his poorest games in a green shirt but was still one of the better Argyle players. He, Fox and Bradley the only ones to really come out of the game with any credit although we did look better with Sarcevic on the pitch. We couldn't even force the ball home with the goalie on the floor at the end of the game.

9) Adams has reverted to the autumn manager. We have no idea without Taylor and stubbornly keep going with hitting the ball hopefully forward with no-one who can hold the ball up. Without Taylor, Lameiras AND Carey are not the same players and we need more steel. He desperately needs to find an alternative formation and that isn't going to happen. The season ends unless Taylor becomes Lazarus.

Remi Matthews - 6
Oscar Threlkeld - 5
Zak Vyner - 7
Sonny Bradley - 7
Gary Sawyer - 6
David Fox - 7
Jamie Ness - 6
Paul Paton - 6
Ruben Lameiras - 5
Graham Carey - 6
Joel Grant - 5

Kyle Letheren - unused
Yann Songo'o - unused
Gary Miller - unused
Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - unused
Antoni Sarcevic - 6
Lionel Ainsworth - 5
Alex Fletcher - 5

Fair report but how does Paton get a 6.? I have no idea how he is a professional footballer

Sep 6, 2006
PL2 3DQ":3slp1ey2 said:
On the plus side it's the best goalkeeping performance I've seen at away game for many years and the best pre-match music I've heard at an away game for many years. :)

If Taylor is still out against Rochdale there's no point in playing two number 10's, both Carey and Lameiras can play wide so switch to 4-4-2 with Fox and Ness in midfield and Fletcher and Grant upfront.
Sarcevic clearly wasn't fit enough today so shouldn't start against Rochdale.

Or can Letheren play as a target man, he has the physique. :)

Over run in Midfield today and you want to take a player out of there? !

Sep 6, 2006
Gary_Wills":2im0478m said:
I’m sure DA will remain in denial of the vaping playoff dream, acceptance’s way off.

If he can mastermind turning anyone left in the squad into a long ball forward in three days, he definitely will not remain at HP though. :)

What on earth are you talking about?

Feb 17, 2017
Andy_Tall":14u1xjw1 said:
Unfortunately that was a shambles. For 90 minutes it was as if we were back in September. Indecisive at the back, hesitant in midfield and ineffective up front. Most of the time we passed sideways or backwards, always inviting pressure. Occasionally we would save Northampton the bother of pressing us and simply pass to them.

Charlton's tails are up and theyll fancy their chances of 6 points against Blackburn and Rochdale. Scunthorpe's mini revival continues. Tuesday's game is a must not lose game. A win or draw and it is still in our hands going into the Rotherham game. I'd be tempted not to risk Taylor on Tuesday as we are going to have win our last three games to make the playoffs. Pack the midfield so we don't lose. Songo'o for Paton. Sarcevic for Grant. Carey up front. But then, what do i know.

Charlton to get 6 points in the last two games? Against Blackburn and Rochdale, can’t see that happening to be honest, I actually they will only get one more point for the rest of the season finishing on 69, Scunthorpe will take 5th and it’s just down to us to get 6/7 points from 4 games.

We basically have 4 games to get atleast 7 points and that should be enough,

Jun 2, 2016
Balham_Green":eadu3zpm said:
themightykeithfear":eadu3zpm said:
well today we were awful, woeful

the only 2 positives were Remi, hes brilliant one-on-one and Vyner was usually imperious, reminds me of Bobby Moore sometimes

the rest,well Sawyer had a mare, Ness couldn't pass 10 yards and the rest look shot of confidence and desire, General Paton don't want to see him wearing green again. GC10 put in a few lovely crosses but no-one was there

Fletcher was brought on too late , start him against Rochdale and hope sarc can step up

I am assuming Paton wasn't paid for that 'performance'. Awful awful awful. What was Adams thinking?
Here we go. Paton is the new Miller. Hardly set foot on the pitch and his Argyle career is trashed.
Personally I though he looked fine. Covered alot of ground, fully committed, and laid the ball off when needed until he was absolutely clobbered. Looks like a bad injury too. Hope he's OK but you fun with your new hate figure, chum

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Balham_Green":372ph4iz said:
PL2 3DQ":372ph4iz said:
On the plus side it's the best goalkeeping performance I've seen at away game for many years and the best pre-match music I've heard at an away game for many years. :)

If Taylor is still out against Rochdale there's no point in playing two number 10's, both Carey and Lameiras can play wide so switch to 4-4-2 with Fox and Ness in midfield and Fletcher and Grant upfront.

Over run in Midfield today and you want to take a player out of there? !

Because Grant playing as a lone striker isn't working, because Carey and Lameiras playing as two number 10's without Taylor isn't working, because Rochdale is a different game, because we need to try something different until Taylor is fit and because we need to win.

Feb 15, 2005
Let’s put this into context, in December we were nailed on for relegation. Since then a paper thin squad has “won” the right for us to stay in Div 1, well done DA and the squad. Look around the leagues, Sunderland relegated and look at their squad!!!! Torquay drop down another division and we lose badly to a committed Northampton but we still have it in our own hands for a play off place.

Sep 13, 2003
buck197":c8z8fn8y said:
Let’s put this into context, in December we were nailed on for relegation. Since then a paper thin squad has “won” the right for us to stay in Div 1, well done DA and the squad. Look around the leagues, Sunderland relegated and look at their squad!!!! Torquay drop down another division and we lose badly to a committed Northampton but we still have it in our own hands for a play off place.

Buck..Assuming you didn't go to the game yesterday? That was the worst performance of the season.

Sep 6, 2006
the_corkscrew":2lbn022w said:
Balham_Green":2lbn022w said:
themightykeithfear":2lbn022w said:

the only 2 positives were Remi, hes brilliant one-on-one and Vyner was usually imperious, reminds me of Bobby Moore sometimes

the rest,well Sawyer had a mare, Ness couldn't pass 10 yards and the rest look shot of confidence and desire, General Paton don't want to see him wearing green again. GC10 put in a few lovely crosses but no-one was there

Fletcher was brought on too late , start him against Rochdale and hope sarc can step up

I am assuming Paton wasn't paid for that 'performance'. Awful awful awful. What was Adams thinking?
Here we go. Paton is the new Miller. Hardly set foot on the pitch and his Argyle career is trashed.
Personally I though he looked fine. Covered alot of ground, fully committed, and laid the ball off when needed until he was absolutely clobbered. Looks like a bad injury too. Hope he's OK but you fun with your new hate figure, chum

Not a hate figure. I just get frustrated when somebody so useless earns a wage playing for the club I love. If you can't see it you are clueless. Damned with faint praise I would say. 'Covered a lot of ground ' 'committed '. Is that the best you can do?

Mar 23, 2008
PL2 3DQ":1vha1p9q said:

Would agree with that, look at Crystal Palace, lose Benteke and now playing 442 with two wingers, Zaha and Townsend up top. It's no good pushing a square peg in a round hole and hoping it works.

Apr 5, 2008
First time I’ve heard Adams criticise the team like he did yesterday.Hopefully a one off performance.

Team owe it the fans against Rochdale ,to pit in a much improved performance.

John Cooper

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Had a nice meal in TJI Fridays which was the highlight. Sawyer and Paton were woeful, the rest not much better. On to Rochdale, surely they can’t be that bad again?

Oct 14, 2015
Balham_Green":3nntp6mw said:
the_corkscrew":3nntp6mw said:
Balham_Green":3nntp6mw said:
themightykeithfear":3nntp6mw said:

Not a hate figure. I just get frustrated when somebody so useless earns a wage playing for the club I love. If you can't see it you are clueless. Damned with faint praise I would say. 'Covered a lot of ground ' 'committed '. Is that the best you can do?

BG, because you see nothing in Paton, and to be fair you've said that from the word go, but others don't see the same things as you doesn't make them "clueless". Seriously, it's quotes about others being "clueless" or "blind" that turns most threads on here into arguments and insults. As it happens I didn't think Paton was useful at all yesterday but neither were the other 9 ( Remi excluded)

Jun 2, 2016
Balham_Green":zi1q3nng said:
the_corkscrew":zi1q3nng said:
Balham_Green":zi1q3nng said:
themightykeithfear":zi1q3nng said:

the rest,well Sawyer had a mare, Ness couldn't pass 10 yards and the rest look shot of confidence and desire, General

Paton was brought in as a *backup* *defensive* midfielder. In 3rd tier football.
Not a starter. Not a goal scorer. Not a championship player.
He's played half an hour. Give him a chance.
What were you expecting? Mara-bleedin-donna?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Metal_Green_Mickey":3oq5hb9p said:
I do have a question.

It gets mentioned how weak our left hand side is and that we get targeted.

The other week there was a thread about how good ATS is. Yet surely, if Adams thought he was that much better than Sawyer he would have started him in games by now? Am I wrong to think this?

Since Adams changed the formation in December it meant the two full backs had to push forward to provide the width, almost playing as wing-backs, with the security of the two centre-backs and Fox behind them (I saw your thread about Fox, he's almost playing as a sweeper now).

Sawyer has good games pushing forward and had a great game against Peterborough and provided a great cross from the by-line for Taylor's goal.
The problem is if we lose the ball Sawyer, now nearly 33, struggles to get back and the opposition have regularly identified this and there's space down our left side.
Bradley, who is not the quickest himself, has to come across to cover for Sawyer. We then have our best header of the ball not in the penalty area.

Sawyer is fine if there's a wide man in front of him, as Wylde or Grant was earlier in the season.

On the other side of defence we have a younger and mobile pair, Threlkeld has the pace and energy to get up and down and if he's caught upfield Vyner has the pace and energy to come across and cover.
That's why, I reckon, opposition teams target our left side but not so much our right side.

Taylor-Sinclair might provide more energy but it would be harsh to drop Sawyer who is only playing to instructions.