Brief Synopsis!!! (Northampton) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Northampton)

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i couldn't listen to any of the match,thank goodness,but our season is not over.we have done well and there are twists and turns yet to come.

Feb 17, 2017
Reminds of the time when we struggled with that position in the championship and we was putting timar up front, it’s just isn’t as simple as putting a defender up front they wouldn’t have the movement or read the game in the same way.
To be honest I wouldn’t mind if we didn’t get promotion or even if we do not make the playoffs aslong as we invest for next season and build on what we’ve got. I would like to see Lyle taylor signed for next season I thing he would be awesome for us, did hear Taylor might be going to Portsmouth probably absolute rubbish though.

Mar 23, 2008
the_corkscrew":2c077gvw said:
Deacster":2c077gvw said:
Selling JJ looked a mistake at the time, now without a suitable replacement it looks a massive error. JJ is not as good as Taylor at the lone striker role but was growing into it and did at least offer height, pace and a goal threat. Church injury record has been poor for a few years and if Taylor got injured we could and have been left exposed.
Jervis and Grant are exactly the same as lone striker. No physical presence. No ability to head the ball. No experience the position. Having JJ today would have made no difference.
Jervis was better than Grant up top and by trade, is a striker. He's a better finisher and would have been a better option and you cannot say he wouldn't have made a difference.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Having endured Jervis up front earlier this season I can say he wouldn't have been a better option.

Mar 23, 2008
Mark Pedlar":1p8ccsyo said:
Having endured Jervis up front earlier this season I can say he wouldn't have been a better option.
Earlier in the season, when we were playing poorly with the lone striker exposed without Carey and Lameiras playing closer you mean? Ness looked a poor player earlier in the season, ditto Sarcevic.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Remind me of the game where Jervis played well as a lone striker. I will let you choose from any season or any club he's played for.

Mar 23, 2008
Mark Pedlar":20u2nome said:
Remind me of the game where Jervis played well as a lone striker. I will let you choose from any season or any club he's played for.
Conveniently missing the above point. Away to Bradford when he scored the winner for a starter. Anyway, really can't be arsed with petty point scoring and lack of respect of opinions.

Feb 17, 2017
The two best forwards I’ve seen at home park this season are Lyle Taylor and Ellis Harrison, this is the sort of quality required to play a successful lone striker role. Ryan Taylor is very good at what he does on hold up but doesn’t have the pace of those two. Jervis/blissett just arent in the same league (literally) people always seem to want ex argyle/unsuccessful argyle players to come back, let’s just move forward, if we want to continue up the league we will need the quality as above.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
the_corkscrew":32vfh610 said:
Deacster":32vfh610 said:
Selling JJ looked a mistake at the time, now without a suitable replacement it looks a massive error. JJ is not as good as Taylor at the lone striker role but was growing into it and did at least offer height, pace and a goal threat. Church injury record has been poor for a few years and if Taylor got injured we could and have been left exposed.
Jervis and Grant are exactly the same as lone striker. No physical presence. No ability to head the ball. No experience the position. Having JJ today would have made no difference.

Jervis did score goals regularly.

Feb 2, 2007
Deacster":1hfqeafy said:
Mark Pedlar":1hfqeafy said:
Conveniently missing the above point. Away to Bradford when he scored the winner for a starter. Anyway, really can't be arsed with petty point scoring and lack of respect of opinions.

I agree Jervis was very limited but we did start playing a bit better when he went lone striker. No means the calibre of Taylor but he held shape and occupied central defenders in a way Grant just can't- it's not his game.

Asking Grant to play the role in this system is like asking Mozart to play dirty bass in the Red Hot Chillis and expecting him to pull it off.

Fletch is not the answer either, unfortunately, not because he's not a decent poacher with a goal in his locker but because he's not the target/hold up/occupy Forward line general that helps the space and shape of the formation bring Carey and Ruben into the game. I'm afraid we don't have a Plan B at this moment in time. The only other option is to go 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 and chuck a random unit, such as ATS or Vyner alongside Fletch or Grant but I doubt they even practice that in training and it certainly would be "unusual". Maybe Letheren or Luke could be a target man. Get Wotton up there. Where's Tynan when we need him????????????????????????????????? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Get well soon Ryan.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Shankster":qnhlhxeg said:
Without Taylor the team is hopelessly toothless. Injury at this stage was shocking luck
If he is out for the duration we will have missed him for what, a quarter of the season at least? Without wanting this to sound like hyperbole, that could be the difference between promotion and finishing 7th. I can't believe we find it so hard without him. Regardless of what happens now the need for another Taylor or, better still, a plan b is imperative.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
IPA":31ewjier said:
Very worrying we can't seem to function without one player.
I said when Taylor first came in last season he was championship standard and still stand by that observation.
Grant on the other hand I thought from the start was a league two player and trying to replace Taylor with him is like trying to put a square peg in a round hole.
What worries me most is the thought that if Taylor was out for the whole season we may have been relegation material.
I think it's going to be a very disappointing end to the season but at least we will have trips to the stadium of light and sid James's Park next to look forward to next season.
Hang on!!!
We couldn't function without Sonny Bradley at Charlton.

Apr 21, 2012
Malvern
While the loss of Taylor is lamentable, there is a good player in Grant as there is in Fletcher.

But they are all different, and as such the approach plan must be adjusted to suit their relative strengths
Grant, for example needs to have the ball played down the side due him to turn and run on to. That didn't happen today.
Or the ball needs to be played into the channel for him to run into and draw the central defenders out. That didn't happen today.

In short, the team didn't play to the team's strengths today, and Northampton stopped what little creativity we did muster.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
davie nine":3qyc9lfy said:
IPA":3qyc9lfy said:
Very worrying we can't seem to function without one player.
I said when Taylor first came in last season he was championship standard and still stand by that observation.
Grant on the other hand I thought from the start was a league two player and trying to replace Taylor with him is like trying to put a square peg in a round hole.
What worries me most is the thought that if Taylor was out for the whole season we may have been relegation material.
I think it's going to be a very disappointing end to the season but at least we will have trips to the stadium of light and sid James's Park next to look forward to next season.
Hang on!!!
We couldn't function without Sonny Bradley at Charlton.

Strength in depth is key and sadly something we lack in.

Our starting 11 is clearly up there with the best in the league. Those covering are sadly lacking. It's the sort of thing that comes in time, you can't suddenly build a strong squad of 22 unless you throw silly money at it.

First year in L1 you can't expect us to be the finished article. If we do somehow go up it will require a certain amount of luck in players coming back and staying fit. As much as I'd love us to do it, to go up with a lot of wages still tied up in L2 quality back ups is a nice dream but a dream nonetheless.

Enjoy the rest of the season for what it is, a year where we have far surpassed expectation. To get playoffs should be a nice cherry on top the cake, not the cake itself.