Brief Synopsis!!! (Orient) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Orient)

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Argyle were clinical when they had to be.
Sarcevic was fantastic and really put a shift in.
Orient looked tidy on the ball but their defence looked woeful.
Only negative was Cooper's daft booking... pity to marr an excellent performance by him.. his delivery into the box in the first half was superb

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge":2q5v3sfx said:
People do realise we’ve just won 4 nil, back to back wins and back to back clean sheets right? Or are we just going to focus on the negatives.

Wins against poor sides and still outside the play offs. Lets keep it in context.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
That was much more like it. Some excellent performances, particularly from Joel Grant, Sarcevic and Cooper. We were more direct than the last time I saw us and their centre backs struggled with Grant and Rudden running the channels. It was disappointing that we tailed off in the second half, but not surprising.

Palmer - 7 - That save at the end was excellent. Incidentally, Romain Larrieu was sat behind me. He seemed impressed with Palmer.
Riley - 6 - Solid, if not spectacular.
Wootton - 6 - Judging by the extreme reaction to his yellow card, I'm guessing he is suspended for Saturday. A good chance to see Aimson come in to what I consider our best back 3.
Canavan - 7 - Very assured. Good in the air and distributed well.
Sawyer - 7 - Standard solid performance.
McFadzean - 7 - Looked much more like the early season Fadz. Much better.
Edwards - 6 - One of his poorer games I thought, but still did well breaking up play.
Sarcevic - 8 - Anyone still think he's overweight and unfit? He was everywhere and his runs in behind the defence have added a new threat to his game.
Cooper - 8 - Tailed off in the second half, probably a fitness issue, but that first 45 was excellent. Great feet, great delivery, ran the show.
Rudden - 7 - Still think he's bang average, but did his header was well taken. I missed the handball for the first, but it was obvious.
J.V. Grant - 8 - I'm so pleased he's come good. Hard worker whose game is improving each week. Good form going into the derby too.

Mayor - 6 - Came on when the tide had turned against us a bit, but still made an impact. Carries the ball so well.
Clarke - 5 - Not a very good cameo, but early doors.
Moore - 6 - Some clever link up play. Prefer him to Rudden.

Overall pretty pleasing stuff. Feels like we're starting to click. A win on Saturday would give us a great platform to keep building on, especially with the likes of Baxter and Telford to come back. My only concern is how we fit our best players in the same eleven. For me, Cooper and Mayor would be well balanced, but we'd lose the energy and tenacity of Sarcevic. Likewise, Edwards is vital at DM, but where do you play Baxter? A great headache for Lowe to have, but a bit of a nightmare at the same time.

Aug 10, 2006
Balham_Green":37gn035f said:
Cobi Budge":37gn035f said:
People do realise we’ve just won 4 nil, back to back wins and back to back clean sheets right? Or are we just going to focus on the negatives.

Wins against poor sides and still outside the play offs. Lets keep it in context.
lets keep it in context we are in the same division lets see where we are in may.

Mar 23, 2008
Massive credit to Lowe, has changed our style of play to be more direct and using Grant and Rudden to get us up the pitch quicker. Still playing good football as the balls forward are meaningful into channels and the high press great to see at HP. We'll played greens.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Balham_Green":i8e23gs6 said:
Cobi Budge":i8e23gs6 said:

Confused? So we can’t praise and enjoy wins until we’re in the play offs? What will it be then? We can’t enjoy wins until we’re top 3? Promoted?

I’m enjoying our form and our performances.

Jul 16, 2008
There really are some miserable buggers on this site, a 4-0 win and they still point out the negatives!!

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
By the way, to anyone who still criticises Sarcevic for being lazy and unfit (despite neither ever being true), watch tonight’s game back, he was everywhere and he gives everything.

May 8, 2011
PL2 3DQ":33w18xmi said:
4-0 by half-time and game over, it can't be bad. :)

The new longer ball style of play introduced since the league game against Swindon produced the best 45 minutes of football since the first half against Crewe and is probably the kind of football Ryan Lowe has been searching for.

We had some luck with the first and fourth goals (handball and an own goal) but we thoroughly deserved to have a good lead by half-time.
The passing across the back three and into midfield just for passing sake has been replaced by a more longer style where the ball is hit into the channels for our two lively strikers to collect and we play from there.
As against Carlisle, it was Leyton Orient who had the more possession (44%/56%), another sign that our style has changed but it was us who had the better chances.

Antoni Sarcevic once again showed he's a powerhouse in midfield and the type of player we all know he can be, he just hasn't shown it consistently until these last three games, he and Cooper basically ran the game, especially during the first half.
It just might be that the dribbling skills of Danny Mayor actually slows down this new look team?

Lowe kept faith with the same 11 that beat Carlisle, so Mayor had to be content with a place on the bench.
Carl Fletcher received a huge applause during the early minutes of the game and rightly so.

The new tactic of hitting the channels was deployed very early doors and is was obvious that Orient struggled with the balls in behind the defenders.

Cooper was involved with the first goal when a flighted ball into the box was met by Sarcevic, his header was brilliantly saved by Brill, Rudden followed up with an header, although it looked like handball and again it was a brill save by Brill, no worries because Grant was there to thump home the loose ball. 1-0, Argyle players celebrating, Orient players complaining.

Cooper was the assister again soon after when a cross into the box was flicked in by Rudden at the near post. 2-0.

Orient were shell shocked and we had only just started.

Goal number 3 - an advance down the right by Sarcevic found McFadzean who jinked inside to fire in a low shot with his right foot, a quick celebration with the players before he ran to Lowe in the dug-out and celebrated again.

The fourth goal was on the stroke of half-time when Cooper again was the man to assist, he rifled in a low cross that hit Orient defender Widdowson and the ball rolled over the line. We were getting all the luck and Orient had none, although to be fair this scoreline had been coming for a while against someone and one that we richly deserved.

There were numerous other chances with the running of Rudden and Grant and the power of Sarcevic causing all sorts of problems.
Let's not forget that Orient had won their last three games and the previous game was a 4-0 win at Grimsby so to destroy them by half-time showed just how well we had played.

As expected the second half was an anti-climax, it seemed the instruction was to keep a clean sheet because we went into containment mode with the odd counter-attack. Lowe will be pleased with the clean sheet but disappointed we didn't get to 5 or 6 goals which would have made a great statement.

As it was Rudden had a chance that was saved and substitute Billy Clarke had a shot go well wide.
Orient's luck still deserted them when a shot hit the post and a few other efforts went wide or over the bar.
Danny Mayor replaced Cooper but he was a virtual spectator.

A win against Exeter and we go above them!

The new style of play has rejuvenated Sarcevic, no longer does he have to come deep to take part in the short passing game, now he can get forward and play off the strikers when the long ball comes into them.
It's not the Wimbledon of old long ball style, it's more of measured long pass into space. We do still play the short passing game but nowhere near as much as the early games of the season. Maybe Lowe has realised that his Bury style of short passing and possession based game doesn't suit the current players at his disposal so he's tweaked it and picked up 7 points front 3 games and the confidence and positivity has returned, not only to the players but to the fans as well.

Sarcevic was just unplayable - power and finesse and he deserved a goal.
Cooper wasn't far behind and had a hand in three of the four goals, he's more direct than Mayor and spots a pass.

Another clean sheet for Palmer and the defence, the back three are now finally a good unit.

The pace and movement of Rudden and Grant makes the new system work, if for instance Ryan Taylor was to play the system wouldn't work, it all depends on the running of the strikers and Byron Moore and no doubt Dom Telford could both fit into the new style.

Credit to Lowe for realising that his possession based style of football wasn't firing on all cylinders and changing to a system that suits the players.

Man of the match - Sarcevic.

Palmer 7. Wootton 7, Canavan 7, Sawyer 7, Edwards 7, Riley 7, Sarcevic 9, Cooper 8, McFadzean 7, Joel Grant 8, Rudden 8. Subs - Mayor 5, Clarke 6, B Moore 6.

Watching Argyle this evening was like watching Argyle from the 2015/16 and 2016/17 seasons. The styles are very similar, let the opposition huff and puff in possession and then catch them out on a quick counter attack.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Wootton - 6 - Judging by the extreme reaction to his yellow card, I'm guessing he is suspended for Saturday.

I take it that the d!ckheads cheered when he was booked then?

Sep 30, 2018
So desperate for argyle to get promoted back to where we belong. Not sure we can win 4-0 every week though, so I'll take a nice 1-0 on Tuesday. Great to see Macfadzean doing well going forward again. We've got our motivativation back. Come on argyle!!!!!!

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Top6utd":2lxsv4ul said:
So desperate for argyle to get promoted back to where we belong. Not sure we can win 4-0 every week though, so I'll take a nice 1-0 on Tuesday. Great to see Macfadzean doing well going forward again. We've got our motivativation back. Come on argyle!!!!!!

Today is Tuesday.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Ross":1yfjnrnz said:
Balham_Green":1yfjnrnz said:
First time Ive seen Clarke. Not impressed. Not sure what the point of him is.

He only signed 3 days ago and hasn't even played half hour of football!

Crazy

Thought Clarke looked good when he came on on Saturday against Carlisle..