Brief Synopsis!!! (Orient) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Orient)

Oct 14, 2015
Balham_Green":162w5prx said:
Cobi Budge":162w5prx said:
People do realise we’ve just won 4 nil, back to back wins and back to back clean sheets right? Or are we just going to focus on the negatives.

Wins against poor sides and still outside the play offs. Lets keep it in context.

Against a poor Orient side who’d won 3 on the bounce including a 0-4 against Grimsby on Saturday. If Orient are poor then what’s that make Grimsby. Maybe our style of play and performance made them look bad but that’ll be a bit negative so we can’t have that can we ..

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Lowe got it tactically spot on last night. If we'd played out from the back as we have been, the result may have been very different. With Orient high pressing our back 3, and with their midfield pushing high up and us bypassing over the top, it really caught them on the hop. They had to change their tactics in the second half, which meant they had a lot of possession in midfield without much to show for it. Don't think they got in behind once.

It was a shame we couldn't get a goal in the second half. We had 4 or 5 opportunities where we sliced them open, but hey, we won 4 nil so it doesn't matter

Lowe is showing that he can mix it up now, which can only be a good thing and it keeps the opposition guessing

Bring on the Greeks.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Oh how they protested back in 2017. Liam Kelly assaults a child and apparently he was "making a meal of it", "he deserved it", "he shouldn't have been trying to time waste then". Just some of the views of the pathetic Leyton Orient fans trying to defend the indefensible. The whole club rallied around him. From that moment on, I despised Leyton Orient. I was delighted when they went down. I was delighted when they survived liquidation as it was nice to see them rot in the Conference. It was a shame that they went up again, but looks like they have a strong chance of heading back down to where they belong. Wonderful.

To all of you who tried to defend Kelly's actions - KARMA. :wave:

Ironic that probably the two worst refereeing decisions I have ever seen have happened involving games at home to Leyton Orient. Chris Liar Sarginson looking directly at the ball boy incident, and deciding to do nothing, and last night's ref looking directly at Rudden playing volleyball, and also waving play on. Lower league referees are an embarrassment, and it's only a matter of time before a horrendous decision will go against us rather than for us, but boy I'm glad last night's happened against that nothing scummy football club.

Back to the Conference you go, chaps. :wave: :wave:

Sep 6, 2006
Metal_Green_Mickey":3bci8kyq said:
What l enjoyed tonight about the performance was the pressing. Even in the second half l thought we kept at it. Was something that l do think good sides become better at.

Not sure how the ref missed the handball for the first goal. Thought the second goal was fantastic.

Cooper crossing in the last 3 games is a highlight to watch. Not every ball is on the money but when he gets it right it just makes creating chances look easy.

The ball is going back to front quicker. However, when their is space to hit over top of teams Rudden and Grant can chase. The problem is though l do find the ball isn't sticking as much as it should in hold up play. The ball bounces off them or they can't challenge a centre half. It's something to look out for and lve noticed it since Swindon away. Against more physical sides it could be an issue if we can't get the ball to stick more.

Overall, very pleasing against a side who came down here and wanted to play football, and it suited us.

Still a mid table side then as per your conclusion from Saturday?

Sep 6, 2006
Dan Ellard":3dizn30c said:
Oh how they protested back in 2017. Liam Kelly assaults a child and apparently he was "making a meal of it", "he deserved it", "he shouldn't have been trying to time waste then". Just some of the views of the pathetic Leyton Orient fans trying to defend the indefensible. The whole club rallied around him. From that moment on, I despised Leyton Orient. I was delighted when they went down. I was delighted when they survived liquidation as it was nice to see them rot in the Conference. It was a shame that they went up again, but looks like they have a strong chance of heading back down to where they belong. Wonderful.

To all of you who tried to defend Kelly's actions - KARMA. :wave:

Ironic that probably the two worst refereeing decisions I have ever seen have happened involving games at home to Leyton Orient. Chris Liar Sarginson looking directly at the ball boy incident, and deciding to do nothing, and last night's ref looking directly at Rudden playing volleyball, and also waving play on. Lower league referees are an embarrassment, and it's only a matter of time before a horrendous decision will go against us rather than for us, but boy I'm glad last night's happened against that nothing scummy football club.

Back to the Conference you go, chaps. :wave: :wave:

You are not one to hold a grudge then?! Lifes too short mate.

Sep 6, 2006
Welwyn Pilgrim":cdnlz3fw said:
Balham_Green":cdnlz3fw said:
Cobi Budge":cdnlz3fw said:
People do realise we’ve just won 4 nil, back to back wins and back to back clean sheets right? Or are we just going to focus on the negatives.

Wins against poor sides and still outside the play offs. Lets keep it in context.

Against a poor Orient side who’d won 3 on the bounce including a 0-4 against Grimsby on Saturday. If Orient are poor then what’s that make Grimsby. Maybe our style of play and performance made them look bad but that’ll be a bit negative so we can’t have that can we ..

Well i judge by what I see not one off results. Where are they in the table?

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge":215xa09y said:
Balham_Green":215xa09y said:
Cobi Budge":215xa09y said:

Confused? So we can’t praise and enjoy wins until we’re in the play offs? What will it be then? We can’t enjoy wins until we’re top 3? Promoted?

I’m enjoying our form and our performances.

Do you understand the word 'context'? Enjoy it for sure.

Sep 3, 2009
Balham_Green":lxysh8ja said:
Ross":lxysh8ja said:
Balham_Green":lxysh8ja said:
First time Ive seen Clarke. Not impressed. Not sure what the point of him is.

He only signed 3 days ago and hasn't even played half hour of football!

Crazy

Just judging on what I saw tonight thats all. Oh and the minor point of his goal scoring record. Something like 5 goals a season I think. Just what we need.

I veer from agreeing with some of your comments to taking them with a pinch of salt but this is nitpicking to the extreme.

For openers, think he did fine when he came on - pace and control, could provide a good option when we play it on the deck. Tackled back too. That aside, why focus on a substitute cameo appearance? 4-0 at half time is as good as it gets. Made the 2nd half like a training game.

Do you think Argyle played well?

Jun 27, 2019
Cobi Budge":2e3rawcy said:
By the way, to anyone who still criticises Sarcevic for being lazy and unfit (despite neither ever being true), watch tonight’s game back, he was everywhere and he gives everything.

Sarce is on fire at the moment because he's on a run of games. He didn't play like this at the start of the season, nor after his suspension for being sent off, because it takes him a while to hit peak match fitness. He's been the same since he joined us, and I remember Shrewsbury fans warning is that he was fat, lazy and unfit when he signed. They were wrong, but there is a kernel of truth in there.

That's not saying he isn't a fit athlete, just that he isn't able to reach his peak performance unless he's on a run of games. If he stays fit and avoids suspension then he's a huge asset and one of the first names on the teamsheet. Fingers crossed for us and him.

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
This is more like it! Lowe has shown he can adjust his tactics. The team are being well coached and you can see players improving week on week. I noticed the pressing, which didn't ease off right up to the final whistle. No one had a bad game, fantastic work ethic and fantastic timing for Saturday's game - the momentum is with us for sure.

I see no reason why we shouldn't get promoted this season.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
The second half WAS a bit of a disappointment, but then it almost always seems to be so when a team gets so comfortably ahead before halftime. With that in mind, keeping the clean sheet is the 'success' to draw out of the second half.

When we were playing our best last night it was scarey to realise that we still had, potentially and when fit: Baxter, Mayor, Telford and Moore to fit into the team somehow. But none of the forward players on the field were not contributing plentifully and so it was very hard to see who might make way.

I liked that we were playing with quite a bit more energy (higher tempo) and I have to say that Rudden is one of those players who I hate when they are playing against us but love to have in the Argyle side. The words I have to describe him, based only on the way he plays of course, are that he is an absolute pest.

For the first goal I couldn't believe what I saw. As Rudden jumped, reached up and seemed to deliberate punch the ball goalwards with his forearm rather than try to head the ball I thought 'why did he just do that?' and half stopped watching because OBVIOUSLY the referee was stopping play to award a freekick to Orient...

For the second goal, I had a great view right along the flight of Cooper's cross. I was 100% convinced that it had gone straight in without any further touches but then Rudden started doing his little celebratory dance.

For the third goal I thought McFadzean had lost the chance to shoot as the ball ran too far right across the goal. He did well to keep at it and get his shot in.

For the fourth goal I had absolutely no idea what happened but Cooper's fiercely driven cross/shot was horrendous for the defence to deal with.

I got FAR too much enjoyment late on when Orient hit the post and then narrowly missed with the follow-up header. It kind of summed up their evening.

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":3w1ayfgz said:
Wootton is ok for Exeter, it was his 4th league booking tonight.
Edit: I just double checked and Wootton is suspended for Saturday.

Wooton wasn't happy because not only is he suspended, it was Canavan that the ref should have booked not him. A chance for Aimson now.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
JannerinCardiff":1hz91p59 said:
Nobby":1hz91p59 said:
That was much more like it. Some excellent performances, particularly from Joel Grant, Sarcevic and Cooper. We were more direct than the last time I saw us and their centre backs struggled with Grant and Rudden running the channels. It was disappointing that we tailed off in the second half, but not surprising.

Palmer - 7 - That save at the end was excellent. Incidentally, Romain Larrieu was sat behind me. He seemed impressed with Palmer.
Riley - 6 - Solid, if not spectacular.
Wootton - 6 - Judging by the extreme reaction to his yellow card, I'm guessing he is suspended for Saturday. A good chance to see Aimson come in to what I consider our best back 3.
Canavan - 7 - Very assured. Good in the air and distributed well.
Sawyer - 7 - Standard solid performance.
McFadzean - 7 - Looked much more like the early season Fadz. Much better.
Edwards - 6 - One of his poorer games I thought, but still did well breaking up play.
Sarcevic - 8 - Anyone still think he's overweight and unfit? He was everywhere and his runs in behind the defence have added a new threat to his game.
Cooper - 8 - Tailed off in the second half, probably a fitness issue, but that first 45 was excellent. Great feet, great delivery, ran the show.
Rudden - 7 - Still think he's bang average, but did his header was well taken. I missed the handball for the first, but it was obvious.
J.V. Grant - 8 - I'm so pleased he's come good. Hard worker whose game is improving each week. Good form going into the derby too.

Mayor - 6 - Came on when the tide had turned against us a bit, but still made an impact. Carries the ball so well.
Clarke - 5 - Not a very good cameo, but early doors.
Moore - 6 - Some clever link up play. Prefer him to Rudden.

Overall pretty pleasing stuff. Feels like we're starting to click. A win on Saturday would give us a great platform to keep building on, especially with the likes of Baxter and Telford to come back. My only concern is how we fit our best players in the same eleven. For me, Cooper and Mayor would be well balanced, but we'd lose the energy and tenacity of Sarcevic. Likewise, Edwards is vital at DM, but where do you play Baxter? A great headache for Lowe to have, but a bit of a nightmare at the same time.

I’d play George Cooper RWB..

Square peg, round hole, in my opinion.

Call me crazy, but I’m an advocate for playing players in their best position. Cooper’s best position is not RWB. Plus it’d be foolish to tinker with the Defence too much after back to back clean sheets.

In the long run, I still think a change to 4-2-3-1 is best. But I cannot see it happening.

Oct 14, 2015
Balham_Green":1x1zluuk said:
Welwyn Pilgrim":1x1zluuk said:
Balham_Green":1x1zluuk said:
Cobi Budge":1x1zluuk said:

Well i judge by what I see not one off results. Where are they in the table?

But you judge player, Clarke, on less than 30 minutes playing time as you’ve slated him on a previous post?? Make your mind up ?? You don’t judge a team on a one off result but you do a player

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
I don’t think that Ryan Lowe and his team have got the credit that they deserve for changing Argyle’s approach to games. The rigid application of his favoured 3-5-2 and playing out from within his penalty area has changed to a more versatile approach that includes a ball either down the channels or to a wing back hugging the touchline. Palmer deserves a worthy mention for his role in this change with his more lengthy distribution.

The new approach has created space beyond the press that opponents have put in place. Lowe has also started to play at times a 3-4-1-2 with Cooper, last night, very effective in the ‘hole’ where his truculent approach is most beneficial coupled with his ability to bend the ball in with both feet. I noticed Clarke slotted into that role for his Carlisle cameo.

The channel runs by Rudden in particular, supported by Riley, Fadz and Sarcevic mean we have played much further up the pitch and with more pace and movement. The predictable nature of the 3-5-2 has been obviated with much more than a plan B. We look a more dangerous team on the break as a result. When you look at those not in the starting XI last night (Mayor, Baxter, Moore and Telford) we will, when all are fit, have options to play a variety of more attacking formations with added pace and skill. (Imagine if we could accommodate Moore and Cooper as the wing backs!) That will be more akin to Lowe’s initial outward ebullience and confidence in the way we will play. Perhaps it is all a true ‘work in progress’.

For the last 20 minutes at Swindon and the first half last night I thought we looked like a side capable of winning promotion. We were on cruise control in the second half ready for the ‘big one’ on Saturday