Brief Synopsis!!! (Shrewsbury) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Shrewsbury)

Mar 14, 2009
slingsby_pobble":14tta6v0 said:
I was interested to read today's synopsis because I was on parenting duties for my son's 7th birthday party.

I managed to hear the last 15 mins of commentary so I'm surprised to see ratings from some people of around 5 to 7 for most players. Judging by what I heard this was an appalling display and there isn't one player who can feel proud of their contribution today. I don't think Lowe can sleep easy either. Shrewsbury aren't exactly on fire but we completely capitulated.

I agree we need a significant shake-up this summer. If nothing else it would be nice to be able to vary the way we play according to the conditions & opposition, which means obtaining players who can play in multiple systems.

If we're playing four at the back we need dedicated LB and RB. If we're playing 352 we need wing-backs who can cross.

Onwards, and (I suspect) downwards with our minus 13 goal difference.

Itā€™s been driving me crazy all year.

Yes Edwards has done well this year. Yet he is a midfielder playing as a full back / wing back. Play the guy in midfield. You wouldnā€™t of needed Fornah, who he is better than, and then you could of brought in a decent RB / RWB who can cross.

Edwards strength is his work rate and running into the box. You need decent full backs who are comfortable on the ball and, most importantly, can cross.

This is us trying to shoe horn square pegs in round holes. Lowe knew his system was going to be 3-1-4-2 . However, if you think back to last season he did played Cooper at LWB when the guy isnā€™t defensive minded. This season we lost MacFadzean and had no decent option there. We just filled the gaps with squad players like C Grant instead of having a decent no1.

He has to work out his formation and then gets players in who fit that formation.

Loweā€™s tactical nous shown over last two seasons is concerning.

justanotherfan

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
demportdave":1u1fa26i said:
Steve Evans":1u1fa26i said:
a spineless shambles by argyle.the huge management staff should hang their heads in shame for failing to motivate the players.my ratings;
Michael Cooper - 1
Will Aimson - 7
Jerome Opoku - 3
Kelland Watts - 2
Joe Edwards - 1
Tyrese Fornah - 3
Connor Grant - 0
Panutche Camara - 2
Danny Mayor - 0
Ryan Hardie - 4
Niall Ennis - 6
management department zero
Bit harsh on Conor Grant, he did get an assist.

Made I laugh.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
justanotherfan":1hxwbxqx said:
demportdave":1hxwbxqx said:
Steve Evans":1hxwbxqx said:
a spineless shambles by argyle.the huge management staff should hang their heads in shame for failing to motivate the players.my ratings;
Michael Cooper - 1
Will Aimson - 7
Jerome Opoku - 3
Kelland Watts - 2
Joe Edwards - 1
Tyrese Fornah - 3
Connor Grant - 0
Panutche Camara - 2
Danny Mayor - 0
Ryan Hardie - 4
Niall Ennis - 6
management department zero
Bit harsh on Conor Grant, he did get an assist.

Made I laugh.
me too.a welcome bit of levity on a dreadful afternoon.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
For me as soon as Shrewsbury worked out to play balls over the top of us we were beaten
I haven't seen any improvement this season whatsoever we cannot defend balls i to our box and our keeper will not come and help his defenders

Its so obvious but nothing gets done about it

German Shepherd

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
Can't understand the 1 markings for Cooper. What did he do wrong ?. Made some decent saves . It was the clowns in front of him that were the problem. :crazy:

P

Paranoid Android

Currently the team are more like Subbuteo, every pass from a standing start and too deliberate. I was comparing with Shrews, although not great going forward their midfield do pass and move and I noticed every player had an option on the ball, where as we didn't.

I didn't want to consider it, but it looks like we are now losing an edge perhaps because we're safe. That's different to having an attitude of not trying, I think its just a little mental relaxation thats unconsciously dropped our performance levels.

A chance for Tomlinson, Law and Lolos to grab a few games before we go again next season.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
If you read these reports every week, German Shepherd, you, surely, realise that you need to take Steveā€™s extreme markings with a pinch of salt. The same applies with his player valuations.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
I consider myself a green tint and glass half full supporter. I try my best to appreciate the football we have played at times and not get too upset about our losses.... but today was embarrassing. Shrewsbury arenā€™t a good team but they outplayed and outfought us in every area of the pitch.
Our performance was abysmal.
We did not put any pressure on them when they played it out from the back- at most one of Hardie or Ennis ran towards the player on the ball while Camara, Grant and Mayor watched on. When they pressed us they looked like they meant it- purposeful co- ordinated and genuinely forcing us backwards until Aimson or Cooper were forced to play long balls into the channels. Hardie didnt once look strong enough to win any challenge.
We dribbled down blind alleys, were ponderous when we had a chance to break and couldnā€™t string two forward passes together. Our passing was sloppy ... why canā€™t we pass the ball so that the receiver can move onto the ball instead of having to collect it behind them? And what is it with these flicked passes with the outside of the boot? I lost count of the times Grant and Mayor tried it and lacked power making it a 50/50 ball for the defender.
We made 5 substitutions and not one of them made a positive difference. Byron Moore just doesnā€™t look interested. Lolos looked like he had the physique to compete better than Hardie but didnā€™t win a 50/50 . Jephcottā€™s only strength is his ability to find space in the box and I canā€™t remember him setting foot in there- not entirely his fault as we never created one opening. Ben Reeves at least looked interested but gifting them a second goal immediately after he came on changed the game & made it more difficult for him to make a positive impression.
Aimson is the only one who deserves any credit from today.
I hate coming onto this site after a defeat and reading unnecessary negativity but today I have added to it and it is fully deserved.

Jul 6, 2011
bringonthemilkman":272a9hpu said:
I consider myself a green tint and glass half full supporter. I try my best to appreciate the football we have played at times and not get too upset about our losses.... but today was embarrassing. Shrewsbury arenā€™t a good team but they outplayed and outfought us in every area of the pitch.
Our performance was abysmal.
We did not put any pressure on them when they played it out from the back- at most one of Hardie or Ennis ran towards the player on the ball while Camara, Grant and Mayor watched on. When they pressed us they looked like they meant it- purposeful co- ordinated and genuinely forcing us backwards until Aimson or Cooper were forced to play long balls into the channels. Hardie didnt once look strong enough to win any challenge.
We dribbled down blind alleys, were ponderous when we had a chance to break and couldnā€™t string two forward passes together. Our passing was sloppy ... why canā€™t we pass the ball so that the receiver can move onto the ball instead of having to collect it behind them? And what is it with these flicked passes with the outside of the boot? I lost count of the times Grant and Mayor tried it and lacked power making it a 50/50 ball for the defender.
We made 5 substitutions and not one of them made a positive difference. Byron Moore just doesnā€™t look interested. Lolos looked like he had the physique to compete better than Hardie but didnā€™t win a 50/50 . Jephcottā€™s only strength is his ability to find space in the box and I canā€™t remember him setting foot in there- not entirely his fault as we never created one opening. Ben Reeves at least looked interested but gifting them a second goal immediately after he came on changed the game & made it more difficult for him to make a positive impression.
Aimson is the only one who deserves any credit from today.
I hate coming onto this site after a defeat and reading unnecessary negativity but today I have added to it and it is fully deserved.

I'm sure it was Grant who gifted them the 2nd goal.

Aug 8, 2013
Went to bed straight after the game, despite concern about suffering nightmares.

So in the fresh light of day...

To be honest, I thought the defence was fair, with
Aimson again outstanding. The first goal was unlucky,
and the second a howler from midfield.
Watts instead of Lewis gave us more stability at the back, but
seriously depleted us going forward.
Edwards couldn't get forward, which made our right side
non-functioning again.
I felt sorry for the front men, who were forced to feed on scraps
for the entire game.
Once again, our passing in the final third was atrocious, and the only
decent ball into the box came from Moore in the last minute.
I thought Reeves offered a little more in the short time he was given, and
would still like to see him given 2 or 3 consecutive starts.
Lowe has laid the blame fair and square on the players, but needs to look
at himself too. Too many players were playing in positions that don't suit
them or help the team, and Shrewsbury did an absolute job on us. As
several others have pointed out, Lowe has been out thought by almost
every team we have played this year.
Bring on Hull.

Larry David

āœ… Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
To be fair I donā€™t think he meant Reeves gifted the goal just meant it made it harder for him to make a contribution.

On the subject of Reeves why on earth did Lowe sign him? He hasnā€™t had a run in the side at any stage, I have no idea how good Ben really is. At most he starts one game in about fifteen then heā€™s out, you canā€™t judge a player on that. If he had five or six games in a row I might be able to see what heā€™s like.Itā€™s not like weā€™re awash with talented midfielders, itā€™s ridiculous.

I have to question the influence Lowe and the coaching staff are having on players as well. Jephcott? Gone backwards. Camara? Gone backwards. Hardie? Gone backwards. Grant? You can see where this is going.

Mayor? Stuck in 3rd hardly ever any end product. And I think heā€™s the best player on the books! Aimson is wildly inconsistent one game excellent the next shocking. I would venture the only players who have Improved a bit are Opoku and Fornah. Cooper is still learning and will improve Iā€™m sure, heā€™s a really good shot stopper but has to get better at dealing with crosses to help the centre backs out.

Edwards is steady Eddie and consistent. Woods looks decent but a couple of games is difficult to judge I just hope he wouldnā€™t end up going backwards. I really like Ennis he works his socks off and has plenty of ability can Lowe and the coaching staff maintain and develop him? Big question mark for me.

Lot of work required if this isnā€™t going to end up going sour.

Apr 1, 2009
Reeves has started only 4 times in the League all season, and the only occasion he lasted the whole game was the 0-4 defeat to Rochdale, when perhaps he wasn't as bad as some of his colleagues. His 4 starts have yielded one point (at Wigan), and in those 4 games Argyle have scored 2 and conceded 10. That's not pretty reading.

Reeves was a good attacking midfield player at this level a few years ago at MK Dons. If you look at video footage from then, he was a very different player. Good engine, two-footed, work rate, even a bit of pace, contributing assists and regular goals (enhanced by some penalties). For whatever reason, at only 29, he's a shadow of that player today. He still turns nicely and gets his head up to spot a pass, but he hasn't the engine, pace or physicality to control a game.

There was a bit of a lobby from some fans earlier in the season for Reeves to start in place of Fornah, but he's not a defensive player - I think the campaign was more anti-Fornah than pro-Reeves. Reeves may get some game time before the end of the season, particularly if Grant is injured, but I can't see him being offered an extension.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
I (thankfully) wasn't able to watch the game yesterday, so have only been able to see the 2 minute highlights on YouTube. So no overall synopsis, but to analyse the goals...

First goal, Watts turned inside so easily, no blame on Aimson or Cooper. Second goal, yes what is Grant doing, but I tell you what (think Lowe referred to this as well) Opoku is partly at fault too, why is he not pushing out, we're in possession and he's standing there just outside his own 6 yard box. Third goal is a decent strike but Watts outmuscled in the build up twice.

We have a real dilemma at left back now.