Brief synopsis | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief synopsis

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
dazzy3000":3brmn9tu said:
memory man":3brmn9tu said:
plymouth1970":3brmn9tu said:
I hope Hallett hasn’t got a get out clause wrt the grandstand redevelopment.
I was wondering if there was still time for him to get it turned around so the seats are facing out over Cottage Field and towards the Sound!!

Hi MM, do you remember it being this bad before? Would be interested to hear stories of teams gone by struggling
I can go back to 1958-59 with firm memories. The 59-60 team really struggled in their first season up but once the chairman spent £20k in January on 3 First Division reserves things improved. We stopped conceding sloppy goals. But that was not enough for the chairman and the manager was sacked with 8 games to go. We won 6, including beating the two promoted clubs without conceding a goal and stayed up with a game to spare. 63-64 was a season-long struggle not helped by one win in the opening 22 games (and the team we beat that day was relegated). But somehow we stayed up, by something like 0.01 of a goal. But bad as it was, the team had enough decent players to turn it around. 67-68 was really bad. Decent players were sold and we signed cut-price replacements. Tbh, that season was as bad as this and the crowds went from 20,200 for the first home game to 4,768 for the final one. Like now, relegation was looking likely from early on. 76-77 I remember for the sale of Mariner. They say that one man doesn't make a team but boy did he make a difference. That was a sad time as the wheel fell off as the wonderful Waiters' era ended in acrimony. The post- Warnock time under Mick Jones was sad. Everyone was willing him to do well because they knew he was managing with one hand tied behind his back. I recall one home game against Southend when the stand was shut for safety reasons. People were laughing not booing and the joy of Wembley two seasons before was completely gone. For varying reasons, if you set apart the Sturrock Mk 1 era, the late 90s until now has been a pretty middling time for the club. So in summary, there have been plenty of downs but 67-68 was the last time I remember us seeming to have no hope from so early. But what do I know? Last season I left Fratton Park hoping that Adams would be fired but he turned it around. Let us hope it can be done again.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Steve Evans":17utww4l said:
AdelaideGreen":17utww4l said:
Just seen the skysport match summary.
The Oxford goals were well taken, but Argyle didn't seem to know "who should be doing what" in midfield and especially defence.
Having said that, the one Argyle attack that they showed indicated that Oxford's defence also were pretty poor.
Anyone at the game to verify?

The Oxford fan forum suggests that they thought that we were crap, but that the cards did fall perfectly in their favour with the early goal etc...
no wonder the players weren't sure of their roles.look who's coaching them.derek,wooton,nancekiville,wilmot and osbourne. :facepalm:
I don't want to be pedantic Steve (okay I suppose I do), but it's Wotton that coaches them, Wootton is the player.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Keepitgreen":22skkfdo said:
Steve Evans":22skkfdo said:
AdelaideGreen":22skkfdo said:
Just seen the skysport match summary.
The Oxford goals were well taken, but Argyle didn't seem to know "who should be doing what" in midfield and especially defence.
Having said that, the one Argyle attack that they showed indicated that Oxford's defence also were pretty poor.
Anyone at the game to verify?

The Oxford fan forum suggests that they thought that we were crap, but that the cards did fall perfectly in their favour with the early goal etc...
no wonder the players weren't sure of their roles.look who's coaching them.derek,wooton,nancekiville,wilmot and osbourne. :facepalm:
I don't want to be pedantic Steve (okay I suppose I do), but it's Wotton that coaches them, Wootton is the player.
fair post.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Just had the displeasure of watching the highlights. The defending for both goals is just pathetic.

Jul 3, 2006
It was so noticeable how many players Oxford seemed to have who were capable of running at our defence - Mackie, Henry, Holmes, Brown. Both their goals and the sending off came from quick, incisive runs.

Argyle have no one like this, save for maybe Wylde & Ainsworth, who are obviously not under first team consideration. Carey & Lameiras are great players but not quick. Ladapo is fast but doesn't have nippiness of the Oxford forwards.

It makes us predictable to defend against. Together with our own error-prone defence and goalkeeper, this is a problematic combination

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
memory man":3rx7rjoz said:
dazzy3000":3rx7rjoz said:
memory man":3rx7rjoz said:
plymouth1970":3rx7rjoz said:
I was wondering if there was still time for him to get it turned around so the seats are facing out over Cottage Field and towards the Sound!!

Hi MM, do you remember it being this bad before? Would be interested to hear stories of teams gone by struggling
I can go back to 1958-59 with firm memories. The 59-60 team really struggled in their first season up but once the chairman spent £20k in January on 3 First Division reserves things improved. We stopped conceding sloppy goals. But that was not enough for the chairman and the manager was sacked with 8 games to go. We won 6, including beating the two promoted clubs without conceding a goal and stayed up with a game to spare. 63-64 was a season-long struggle not helped by one win in the opening 22 games (and the team we beat that day was relegated). But somehow we stayed up, by something like 0.01 of a goal. But bad as it was, the team had enough decent players to turn it around. 67-68 was really bad. Decent players were sold and we signed cut-price replacements. Tbh, that season was as bad as this and the crowds went from 20,200 for the first home game to 4,768 for the final one. Like now, relegation was looking likely from early on. 76-77 I remember for the sale of Mariner. They say that one man doesn't make a team but boy did he make a difference. That was a sad time as the wheel fell off as the wonderful Waiters' era ended in acrimony. The post- Warnock time under Mick Jones was sad. Everyone was willing him to do well because they knew he was managing with one hand tied behind his back. I recall one home game against Southend when the stand was shut for safety reasons. People were laughing not booing and the joy of Wembley two seasons before was completely gone. For varying reasons, if you set apart the Sturrock Mk 1 era, the late 90s until now has been a pretty middling time for the club. So in summary, there have been plenty of downs but 67-68 was the last time I remember us seeming to have no hope from so early. But what do I know? Last season I left Fratton Park hoping that Adams would be fired but he turned it around. Let us hope it can be done again.

Steve I don't know how many times you have seen this team play and I know some of the teams you mentioned struggled at times but I have picked some players from each team that would walk into this current shambles.

58/59 G.Barnsley,T.Barrett,R.Wyatt,J.Williams, G.Robertson,N.Dougal, J.Gauld,W.Carter, H.Penk.

63/64 Maclaren,McAnearney, M.Trebilcock, P, McParland,A.O'Neil,.

68/67 J.Newman,M.Bickle,A.Nelson,J.Sillett,J.Bloomfield, D.Neale,J.Hore,S.Davey, N.Pipper.

76/77 P.Barron. B.Hall. M.Horswill. M.Greening B.Johnson,G.Foster, J.Delve,P.Mariner.

There many more from those teams that would walk into the current set up.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
dunlop":3u36j438 said:
memory man":3u36j438 said:
dazzy3000":3u36j438 said:
memory man":3u36j438 said:
plymouth1970":3u36j438 said:

Steve I don't know how many times you have seen this team play and I know some of the teams you mentioned struggled at times but I have picked some players from each team that would walk into this current shambles.

58/59 G.Barnsley,T.Barrett,R.Wyatt,J.Williams, G.Robertson,N.Dougal, J.Gauld,W.Carter, H.Penk.

68/67 J.Newman,M.Bickle,A.Nelson,J.Sillett,J.Bloomfield, D.Neale,J.Hore,S.Davey, N.Pipper.

76/77 P.Barron. B.Hall. M.Horswill. M.Greening B.Johnson,G.Foster, J.Delve,P.Mariner.

That's true but all those teams where you have selected players from were relegated from 2nd to 3rd tier, not 3rd to 4th as we are in danger of now.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
cheshiregreen":15g68l74 said:
dunlop":15g68l74 said:
memory man":15g68l74 said:
dazzy3000":15g68l74 said:
memory man":15g68l74 said:
plymouth1970":15g68l74 said:

That's true but all those teams where you have selected players from were relegated from 2nd to 3rd tier, not 3rd to 4th as we are in danger of now.

Agreed. Hardly like for like scenarios.