Brief synopsis | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief synopsis

Feb 15, 2005
Earlier posted about Pompshite having a bigger budget and 23 points ahead of us. Accrington Stanley are 16 points ahead of us and where are they in terms of budget?

Oct 10, 2012
Balham_Green":21ccnd4t said:
slingsby_pobble":21ccnd4t said:
No, just a bit of passion and professionalism. As many have said, we made Oxford look like a good footballing side today. They're probably the weakest side we'll encounter this season.

I think they may stay up. Am just surprised that fans are still turning up in good numbers and shocked when we play badly and lone. Penny may slowly be dropping that we are rubbish and Adams doesn't have a Scooby do. For those in denial I guess it's a big shock.

Quite. This team is dreadful. Can not believe someone predicted we’d finish 4th before the season started :lol:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I see from the OS that DA's after match gems of wisdom lists the better playing experience of Oxford players and the ability of Jamie Mackie to rough-up the Argyle CB's without incurring the ref's displeasure was the difference between the 2 teams today. It really is simple after the event. I just wonder how much Oxford are paying Mackie per week as compared to Argyle paying Ladapo. Sometimes an old head up front is valuable at modest League One level. If only Tommy Tynan was a bit younger!

Feb 2, 2007
Oxford are a decent team with aspirations of fighting for the play offs. They have had a new Chairman, Manager and alot of players to bed in over the Summer and it's been very unsettled.

If they keep their core team fit they will be a decent force at this level. Eastwood is an excellent goalie, Nelse we know about, Henry, Marcus Browne, Ricky Holmes, Mackie are all attacking players to be reckoned with and Jamie Hanson/Baptiste are promising young midfielders. Gavin Whyte is a decent Winger and is being picked by Northern Ireland and was available today. No one is convinced by Robinson and today a poor performance could have meant a quick exit for him as the new owner expects fairly instant results. Fine margins, but I think this win will give them the confidence that's been lacking and they will soon be away from the bottom four.

It's no disgrace to lose to them even if they are bottom, they have beaten Burton, drawn at Sunderland, and been unlucky in a few games. However, the manner of defeat today is clearly unacceptable and the lack of team spirit and alternative tactics is down to the Management.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Quintrell_Green":1ymxnd44 said:
I see from the OS that DA's after match gems of wisdom lists the better playing experience of Oxford players and the ability of Jamie Mackie to rough-up the Argyle CB's without incurring the ref's displeasure was the difference between the 2 teams today. It really is simple after the event. I just wonder how much Oxford are paying Mackie per week as compared to Argyle paying Ladapo. Sometimes an old head up front is valuable at modest League One level. If only Tommy Tynan was a bit younger!

Tommy probably still has more chance of scoring today than Ladapo does

derbygreen

🎫 ST Donor 🎫
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2003
Paignton....was Derby
I've just seen the highlights and obviously I wasn't there to pass an accurate assessment but we really look poor. The midfield and defence look all at sea. I can't comment on our attack because there wasn't one from Argyle. I hope Adams can turn this around but I think he needs to be honest with himself first. Things don't look good at all.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
nick_PASTIE":29tuszq0 said:
Oxford are a decent team with aspirations of fighting for the play offs. They have had a new Chairman, Manager and alot of players to bed in over the Summer and it's been very unsettled. .

Give it a couple of weeks and everything except the Manager comment will apply to our club too

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
plymouth1970":3lgosvox said:
I hope Hallett hasn’t got a get out clause wrt the grandstand redevelopment.
I was wondering if there was still time for him to get it turned around so the seats are facing out over Cottage Field and towards the Sound!!

Dazzy3000

✅ Evergreen
Dec 3, 2008
memory man":3pzkbp64 said:
plymouth1970":3pzkbp64 said:
I was wondering if there was still time for him to get it turned around so the seats are facing out over Cottage Field and towards the Sound!!

Hi MM, do you remember it being this bad before? Would be interested to hear stories of teams gone by struggling

Sep 2, 2008
We were dire. Carey and Lameiras went missing and when that happens we are toothless. Foxy couldn't get on the ball and for all his running around O'Keefe was ineffective...his miss today was almost as bad as the Jervis one. Ladapo was being passed around between their two CB's. Each taking a turn to mark him while the other 'rested' (the downside of playing one up front). Macey is an atrocious keeper. He couldn't even make a bread and butter catch from a ricochet that looped gently towards him from 20 metres out. One thing I saw today that was a concern for me was players sniping at each other. Not just the usual flash comment and then get on with the game. This was a more lengthy bitch at each other. The players are starting to get frustrated. They are starting to blame each other when things go wrong. This is not a team. Adams needs to get them working for each other. He also most definitely needs to get a bigger lump up front to hold on to the ball if he's going to persist in playing a sole striker with his back to goal.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Just seen the skysport match summary.
The Oxford goals were well taken, but Argyle didn't seem to know "who should be doing what" in midfield and especially defence.
Having said that, the one Argyle attack that they showed indicated that Oxford's defence also were pretty poor.
Anyone at the game to verify?

The Oxford fan forum suggests that they thought that we were crap, but that the cards did fall perfectly in their favour with the early goal etc...

Sep 23, 2003
location, location.
Was Jamie Mackie as much of an irritating twerp when he played for Argyle? I don't remember him that way. I recall he had a bit of an edge but not all the efforts to get opposition players booked, sly little kicks and backchat all the time.

Highlight today was probably the use of the Oxford comma on the advertising hoardings behind the goal with no stand. About the only thing that made me smile today.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Andy_Tall":352pzqtk said:
Was Jamie Mackie as much of an irritating twerp when he played for Argyle? I don't remember him that way. I recall he had a bit of an edge but not all the efforts to get opposition players booked, sly little kicks and backchat all the time.

Highlight today was probably the use of the Oxford comma on the advertising hoardings behind the goal with no stand. About the only thing that made me smile today.

I'd like a couple of irritating twerps in the team now. The kind of irritating twerps who can play football rather than just one irritating twerp with a bootbag and a boring jumper

Jul 6, 2011
dazzy3000":3i8mz92z said:
memory man":3i8mz92z said:
plymouth1970":3i8mz92z said:

Hi MM, do you remember it being this bad before? Would be interested to hear stories of teams gone by struggling

Try the season after Mariner and Rafferty left, that was pretty much dross.