Brief Synopsis | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

Apr 9, 2011
Am afraid Lowe is starting to look like a typical Scouser chancer & most definately a victim of his own spin. He has laid himself wide open to criticism. Not the least heaping a load of pressure on Mayor by saying he was better than Carey orLlamieras really at best he is just an average lower league player. Also he only brought a few players from the Bury promotion squad , players that probably made Mayor look a lot better.
That "performance" yesterday was inexcusable a big blunder on Lowes part to spend all week playing down the importance of the match this must have got through to the players. He has a week now to kick ass & put it right

Apr 9, 2011
phil-thefluter24":99gs9xdo said:
Am afraid Lowe is starting to look like a typical Scouser chancer & most definitely a victim of his own spin. He has laid himself wide open to criticism. Not the least heaping a load of pressure on Mayor by saying he was better than Carey orLlamieras really at best he is just an average lower league player. Also he only brought a few players from the Bury promotion squad , players that probably made Mayor look a lot better.
That "performance" yesterday was inexcusable a big blunder on Lowes part to spend all week playing down the importance of the match this must have got through to the players. He has a week now to kick ass & put it right
Another point that was glaringly obvious was our fragile defence which was one of the main reasons we got relegated & he failed to address it & instead chose to blunder on with the same back line that under performed so badly last season

Jul 6, 2005
From where I was stood fairly low down behind the goal you don’t get the best perspective of the game but I would say that up until the penalty, it looked to be pretty scrappy match between 2 very average teams.

But as the old cliche goes, goals change games and that was certainly the case yesterday and coming right on half time, Exeter came flying out of the traps second half whilst we capitulated to turn in a totally unacceptable Accrington-like performance.

The responsibility for yesterday’s debacle has to be on Lowe. The way that he talked this game down and the patronising comments he made about Exeter in the lead up were really stupid and all the motivation that the Exeter players needed; he made Matt Taylor’s job very easy. Also, his team selection and tactics are really open to question. Must Palmer roll the ball out out EVERY time, even when it is so obviously risky.

Lowe’s signings are not perhaps as good as we had hoped. Mayor is obviously class but the other Bury lads look pretty average League 2 journeymen. We missed out on some of the more influential ones, such as Maynard, O’Shea and Adams.

As for the loan signings, Rudden still fails to impress and is no better than Taylor but with a lesser work rate. His first touch and ability to take the ball in is very poor. One of the big problems yesterday was the total ineffectiveness of Rudden and Grant up top, the ball just kept coming back. As for Josh Grant, watching him yesterday it occurred to me that he has become another Tafari Moore in that you almost expect him to be good because he has been at Chelsea for some time working with good Coaches; however, he’s not very good actually and an absolute liability with a bad mistake or a bad decision likely to happen at any time.

Despite relegation, we went into the new season very great optimism but that is no longer the case and Lowe is in danger of going from being a good young Manager with an amusing line in Scouse wit to being a b*llsh*tter who talks a good game but can’t deliver.

However, when we all calm down after yesterday’s bitterly disappointing and humiliating display, we are still only a third of the way into the season and who knows, in the long term it might even do us some good.

It’s very important now that Lowe keeps Argyle in touch with the teams at the top so that we can re-group in January and then make a concerted bid for promotion because consolidation in League 2 is not an option. This is a pretty poor League - there is no Argyle or Luton like in 2002 who were so obviously better that the rest - and promotion is there for any team who can find some consistency.

Aug 5, 2016
Biggs":23fnbs3a said:
It should just be a league game for us. Exeter fans are more than welcome go on about a 4-0 win in the fourth division while we’re two leagues above them.

I’d lose 10-0 to them as long as we go up, I literally couldn’t care less. I want Ryan Lowe to get the big picture right, individual games are far less important.

What are you talking about?

Two leagues above them? They just beat us 4-0 and are 6 points ahead of us. We are midtable in the 4th tier, not bursting up two divisions above Exeter City.

I am struggling how you are drawing a correlation to being battered by Exeter to promotion. The two really don't go hand in hand. I can't remember any humiliating hammerings against Exeter amid the glory days of Sturrock.

How about we concentrate on one game at a time instead of getting ridiculously ahead of ourselves and start talking about the Championship or 'the bigger picture'. That way perhaps we won't take our eyes off the 90 minutes in hand. Exeter must be peeing themselves reading about the delusions of grandeur on here.

Dec 16, 2004
phil-thefluter24":32gfq207 said:
Am afraid Lowe is starting to look like a typical Scouser chancer & most definitely a victim of his own spin. He has laid himself wide open to criticism. Not the least heaping a load of pressure on Mayor by saying he was better than Carey orLlamieras really at best he is just an average lower league player. Also he only brought a few players from the Bury promotion squad , players that probably made Mayor look a lot better.

Agree with almost every word of the above, particularly the first sentence.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
I lived in Manchester for 10 years. Its fair to say that scousers come in for a bit of stick there.
But even I'm pretty annoyed by the 'typical scouse chancer' throwaway stereotyping. Particularly when I know of scouse Argyle fans who will read these boards.
I had a pop at Derek Adams for his demeanour, his tactics, his dress sense. I had no time for him. But even then I found any negative comments on his circumstances of birth to be repulsive and narrow minded.
There are lazy stereotypes to be made of every place in the UK, including Devon and Plymouth. Argyle fans live in all corners if the Isles and have many different accents. So if you wouldn't say to the face of an Argyle fan from Liverpool that they are a 'typical scouse chancer' then perhaps leave thar sort of thing out and concentrate on the football.
Having said that, on balance, I reckon scousers have achieved more in the world of football than janners and indeed many places... So y'know, go figure
Perhaps next time you see Tommy Tynan out and about you can amuse him with 'typical scouse chancer' quips

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Knibbsworth":qhel7xxz said:

Two leagues above them? They just beat us 4-0 and are 6 points ahead of us. We are midtable in the 4th tier, not bursting up two divisions above Exeter City.

I am struggling how you are drawing a correlation to being battered by Exeter to promotion. The two really don't go hand in hand. I can't remember any humiliating hammerings against Exeter amid the glory days of Sturrock.

How about we concentrate on one game at a time instead of getting ridiculously ahead of ourselves and start talking about the Championship or 'the bigger picture'. That way perhaps we won't take our eyes off the 90 minutes in hand. Exeter must be pi$$ing themselves reading about the delusions of grandeur on here.

They’ll be pi55ing themselves much more by people getting hot and bothered about this result, than the correct response of rising above it, letting them have their big day and moving on.

I’m aware we’re not two divisions above them currently. The point is that’s our realistic aim, while their realistic aim is beating us and perhaps getting into the third tier for a season or two.

Don’t care about Exeter, the only thing I’m bothered about is learning from the mistakes made yesterday and going on to get promotion. We’re 7 points off the top with a good team that hasn’t clicked yet, so let’s go and do it.

Jun 19, 2006
Somewhere or other
lyndhurst13":xq3do7s9 said:
phil-thefluter24":xq3do7s9 said:

I fail to see how him being a 'scouser' has any relevance at all...

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I find it odd that during the recruitment process, people were crying out for a positive, upbeat manager to come in and re-energise the club after years of talking down and expectation management. That’s exactly what we got, yet now, people are annoyed about it & want to go back to expectation management.

May 1, 2011
Biggs":u2z9it74 said:
Knibbsworth":u2z9it74 said:

How about we concentrate on one game at a time instead of getting ridiculously ahead of ourselves and start talking about the Championship or 'the bigger picture'. That way perhaps we won't take our eyes off the 90 minutes in hand. Exeter must be pi$$ing themselves reading about the delusions of grandeur on here.

They’ll be pi55ing themselves much more by people getting hot and bothered about this result, than the correct response of rising above it, letting them have their big day and moving on.

I’m aware we’re not two divisions above them currently. The point is that’s our realistic aim, while their realistic aim is beating us and perhaps getting into the third tier for a season or two.

Don’t care about Exeter, the only thing I’m bothered about is learning from the mistakes made yesterday and going on to get promotion. We’re 7 points off the top with a good team that hasn’t clicked yet, so let’s go and do it.

You're not rising above it, you're trying to ignore genuine issues that are being raised. You did the same all last season. So far this season the football has been indifferent at times and mixed at other times.

Exeter are our rivals and it's time we saw ourselves how others do. We were smashed by a club currently doing better than us. So far the jury is definitely out on Lowe and his pre match comments were beyond foolish.

May 16, 2016
green eyed monster":2vtrgsry said:
lyndhurst13":2vtrgsry said:
phil-thefluter24":2vtrgsry said:

I fail to see how him being a 'scouser' has any relevance at all...

Agree. It's his constant use of Clichès that grinds my gears. Maybe yesterday was just about 3 Points but at the end of the day, as we saw, form can go out the window on a Derby day. Ryan misjudged the importance of bragging rights to the Fans and upset the apple cart with his attempt at mind games.

Today, as we dust ourselves off and wipe the slate clean ready to go again, Ryan Lowe can get back on the horse, get back to basics with the lads and concentrate on the next set of 3 points as we look at the bigger picture.

Mar 14, 2009
There is no excuses for a lack of commitment and work rate.

So on those missing attributes yesterday l truly understand why everyone would be upset over this.

However, on the playing side l don’t understand people’s lack of patience. Weren’t the majority upset by the football we played under Adams? Didn’t we want to see better football?

Well, maybe lm being completely naive about this but to play better football you have to find players at league two level who can do it. Personally, l think that pool of players is limited so it takes surely more time to find them and to build a side than your Wycombe or Newport style teams of this world who are hard to break down, are very good at set pieces and work hard over the pitch. You can surely implement that type of style straight away because first and foremost you make yourself hard to beat.

Right from the start of this season you can see that isn’t the way we play. We are open. Give teams a chance on the counter attack. Unfortunately, we don’t have the right blend of players to be consistent and play the ball quickly for attacking football.

I’m starting to think it all about results in football. If it wasn’t we would surely give managers more time and understanding. I look at Barnsley. Last year they came to HP and played some wonderful football. This season in a higher league against financially stronger teams they struggled to play their football. What on earth did they expect to happen realistically?? Yet instead of being patient they sacked their manager Daniel Stendel.

The direction of our club and blueprints is to play better football. That’s why Ryan Lowe is here. We could of got in a manager like Flynn and made us very hard to beat.

If Lowe can’t make us a decent attacking, successful team within two seasons then l dare say he will go. But if the blueprint remains the same the next manager might struggle because of how we are wanting to play possession based football. With limited resources Argyle might not be able to bring in the players you need to play this style.

For me though the club has finally a direction both on and off the field. Despite yesterday’s embarrassment l feel positive about our future. When that time comes we turn this around l hope people realise sometimes you just have to wait.

Jan 30, 2016
AlanMS wrote: Sometimes you have a bad day at the office. It is not the end of the world -I am sure that Lowe will put things right. Let's just move on.

Why are you sure?

I doubt anyone was there today will just casually move on.

Bristol - I feel the pain of losing as much as you do. However, I have learned in life to take the lessons learned and not to keep dwelling on the past. I remain positive that Lowe will sort this team out and that we will end up in the playoff's. I think although there are problems with this team the football is more enjoyable to watch than last season and I remain optimistic. I just get so fed up with the same old negative guys who slag my team off all the time.

Apr 5, 2008
The defence should have been RL first priority.It really is an utter joke.Its not getting any better.

Utter amateur defending still.Look at their first goal yesterday,,penalty would never have even been a possibility if the defender has just cleared the ball forward,instead of dithering on the ball and giving it away.

An utter shambles and travesty of a defence,still :doh: