Brief Synopsis | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
Biggs":wl8x0qys said:
Yes, there’s a difference between understanding it and actually being fired up by it.

Having said that, it seems clear there was an effort from the management to make this feel like a normal league game to the media... and presumably the players. That’s obviously backfired, and he probably won’t be making the same mistake next time. These things happen with a bunch of players and coaching staff that are completely new to the club and area.

OK, so it's an ordinary game against one of our promotion rivals yet it seems they still couldn't be ar$ed.

How do you explain that?

Jul 12, 2016
David_Fisher":ti2r143l said:
Biggs":ti2r143l said:
Yes, there’s a difference between understanding it and actually being fired up by it.

Having said that, it seems clear there was an effort from the management to make this feel like a normal league game to the media... and presumably the players. That’s obviously backfired, and he probably won’t be making the same mistake next time. These things happen with a bunch of players and coaching staff that are completely new to the club and area.

OK, so it's an ordinary game against one of our promotion rivals yet it seems they still couldn't be ar$ed.

How do you explain that?
:thumbup:

Topboy

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Oct 2, 2003
Plympton
Metal_Green_Mickey":3rnei1jz said:
There is no excuses for a lack of commitment and work rate.

So on those missing attributes yesterday l truly understand why everyone would be upset over this.

However, on the playing side l don’t understand people’s lack of patience. Weren’t the majority upset by the football we played under Adams? Didn’t we want to see better football?

Well, maybe lm being completely naive about this but to play better football you have to find players at league two level who can do it. Personally, l think that pool of players is limited so it takes surely more time to find them and to build a side than your Wycombe or Newport style teams of this world who are hard to break down, are very good at set pieces and work hard over the pitch. You can surely implement that type of style straight away because first and foremost you make yourself hard to beat.

Right from the start of this season you can see that isn’t the way we play. We are open. Give teams a chance on the counter attack. Unfortunately, we don’t have the right blend of players to be consistent and play the ball quickly for attacking football.

I’m starting to think it all about results in football. If it wasn’t we would surely give managers more time and understanding. I look at Barnsley. Last year they came to HP and played some wonderful football. This season in a higher league against financially stronger teams they struggled to play their football. What on earth did they expect to happen realistically?? Yet instead of being patient they sacked their manager Daniel Stendel.

The direction of our club and blueprints is to play better football. That’s why Ryan Lowe is here. We could have got in a manager like Flynn and made us very hard to beat.

If Lowe can’t make us a decent attacking, successful team within two seasons then l dare say he will go. But if the blueprint remains the same the next manager might struggle because of how we are wanting to play possession based football. With limited resources Argyle might not be able to bring in the players you need to play this style.

For me though the club has finally a direction both on and off the field. Despite yesterday’s embarrassment l feel positive about our future. When that time comes we turn this around l hope people realise sometimes you just have to wait.
MGM - couldn't agree more.

I've banged on for ages about wanting to watch better football and keep getting told 'I'll take any performance as long as the result is right and it gets us out of this league'. My question then is that at what point do performances matter? We get promoted to Div 3 and do we want Div2 at all costs? Then Lord forbid, Div1?

I appreciate we aren't Barca but as you mentioned Barnsley last year would have been a joy to watch week in week out.

RL was always going to need time and more than likely money to build a decent footballing squad.

That said, there is no excuse for a lack of effort ever.

May 1, 2011
HC Green":129rb0oa said:
Bristol Rich":129rb0oa said:
HC Green":129rb0oa said:
Biggs":129rb0oa said:
nikkk":129rb0oa said:
I hope our owner is watching social media tonight. No we did not enjoy the match/experience. Our customer satisfaction is a big flipping 0 and more community engagement will not help !!!

The owner funded 150k compensation for our promotion-winning management team, the signing of the reigning League 2 player of the year, and the redevelopment of the grandstand.

What more do you want, and what is your problem with Simon Hallett exactly?

He panicked and sacked Derek Adams.

Let it go, stop banging on about an ex manager who after 4 seasons had taken the club all the way from league 2 to league 2.

So you think I shouldn’t hold an opinion that the Chairman panicked?

Why do you have to constantly bang on about it?

We get it, you know Adams personally and yet you fail to acknowledge this may cloud your judgement.

Feb 2, 2007
Given the change in footballing philosophy and coaching this was never going to be a linear, easy transition. I follow Oxford quite closely and have seen managers like Michael Appleton and Karl Robinson go through similar transitions and it takes a combination of getting the right players and unfortunately for us demanding fans, time, to get the changes in place to translate to performances and results. When they do they are a joy to behold, as any Oxford fan watching the last 2 months will tell you, or those fortunate enough to see Appleton’s team at their best.

Lowe has had no where near enough time yet and has not drained the swamp fully, so we get a lot of hit and miss. The last month has been better, the 2nd half against City was a totally unacceptable performance from Manager and players but the important bit now is how the players learn and what happens in the next month. Any top manager will use that type of mauling whether against close rivals or not as a catalyst for further change and to do surgery not just sticky plasters.

Even in transition expectations should be Top 7 for us given the relative resources and players at Lowes disposal currently but I fully expect a rocky path this season. If we don’t get promoted this season, next season will be the first time we can judge whether Lowe’s style, philosophy, coaching have made us an attractive and top team one to dominate the lower leagues, when one promotion can often lead to momentum for another, if the ground work is done properly (Luton, Luggy’s team, Jokevil under Johnson!)