Brief Synopsis | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
A few minor observations.

Hardie/Jephcott have the best understanding of each others games of all the combinations we have, they are also the best goalscorers we have and provide the best movement. If we are going to play passing football - these two have to start - Sorry Frank.

Midfield - please lets not confuse passing sideways as being negative - retaining possession is part of Lowe's set up, there are players who have made it to the very top of the game by doing the basics well, the idea of the formation is that the wing backs have space to move forward, so passing it sideways to a wing back is not bad. What cannot happen is you pick three midfielders all doing the same (Please note England's performances when they pick Dier/Henderson/Rice in midfield together) - because one you know a midfield isn't coming at you its ridiculously easy to play against. We miss Mayor so much last night it was untrue and deeply worrying. Conor Grant continues to baffle me, when we were 2-1 v Pompey, i thought his 25/30 minute cameo was superb, he came on and gave us everything we needed at the point in the game, his performances since have been woeful, to the point i bet Ryan Lowe has checked Adam Randell's loan deal to see if he can cut it short.

Defenders - on another thread about irrational love of players - i mentioned the name Gerry McElhinney - not a great footballer, old style centre half, but we are crying out for someone of that ilk right now. I want one centre back who is brave, committed and no nonsense. The others can all be "nice footballers" but i would like to see just one defender out there who hates conceding, that it feels like a life or death situation. Too often we have three centre backs who collectively look weak and too busy trying to create space and make nice passing patterns - thats great when you are winning and going well, but when you are conceding too many silly goals, lets just go back to basics and be solid.

Despite all that, it is very easy to lose sight that in 2020 our home form has been excellent and there have been very few if any poor performances until last night. The playing ingredients are there, we've seen enough in the home performances to know we aren't a bad side - over to you RL to restore confidence and get back to the level of performance we should be seeing.

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
We turned up expecting to win last night. Unprofessional and very hard to turn around once you start in that mindset.

Many of the players were poor and unlike others I'd include Jephcott in that who missed a couple of sitters and was otherwise uninvolved.

For their second goal the ball wasn't out of play, it was on the line but not wholly over it (despite Ifollow repeatedly showing a still of it with green grass underneath it, the ball is round!!). Canavan's reaction was shocking.

I really like Ryan Lowe a lot and hope he can turn this around, I suspect he can but if not it could end up spiralling badly the wrong way.

Jun 27, 2019
yashin":1c8s3qwn said:
Begining to show how much Palmer meant to us last year without him we would still be in Div 2 he obvious had a lot of infulence on those in front of him.

Yep. There's a lot more to being a good keeper than making saves and - as much as I'd like him to - young Cooper doesn't yet have it.

Sep 2, 2008
greybeard-kernow":24dg2v3t said:
perhaps lowe, should spend more time down here in plymouth, training the squad, just saying!
I wondered if it was something along these lines. I can imagine him seeing/staying with his family when they went up to Fleetwood (cos he hasnt moved them down yet) and I wonder if the lads weren't afforded a similar privilege. Having one rule for one and one rule for another is not a good team ethic. Like you say, just saying.

Sep 2, 2008
Penlee":2xafmkh5 said:
We turned up expecting to win last night. Unprofessional and very hard to turn around once you start in that mindset.

Many of the players were poor and unlike others I'd include Jephcott in that who missed a couple of sitters and was otherwise uninvolved.

For their second goal the ball wasn't out of play, it was on the line but not wholly over it (despite Ifollow repeatedly showing a still of it with green grass underneath it, the ball is round!!). Canavan's reaction was shocking.

I really like Ryan Lowe a lot and hope he can turn this around, I suspect he can but if not it could end up spiralling badly the wrong way.

I'm not a fan. I think hes one of those people that says what you want him to say. I wonder if the players are sick of him saying things like 'we're in this together', 'we win and we lose as a team' etc and they see things he says and does that are not of a 'team' perspective at all. I think he is all about himself and not the team.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
I have to say something isn’t right. The performances against Fleetwood Peterborough and worst of all Rochdale last night indicate something rotten in the state of Home Park.

Is Danny Mayor ill or injured? Why is Camara not starting games after one fifteen minute spell where we conceded a goal after he lost possession in midfield? Previously he was outstanding now he appears to be a scapegoat. Aimson clearly riled when he was taken off previously, Canavan left out for a young loanee from Fulham. George Cooper looks completely lost and disinterested.

Are there questions over Ryan Lowes man management? Are the players and management team really in this together or has a rift formed? I don’t know but the players confidence looks completely shot to bits. I also think this five sub thing has thrown him, does it help build confidence and continuity continually chopping and changing?

Maybe this is all just a bump in the road? But I think he has his work cut out to get the ship back on course.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Perhaps part of this comes back to having a vocal keeper behind the defence? I know McCormick could see things unfolding really well and could organise his defence. I wonder if this is something we're lacking. I seem to only ever come on here to slate Cooper, and I don't mean to, but I'm fed up of seeing him throwing his arms up in dismay every time the ball hits the net. Time for a change I think, not least to give the guy a break from me moaning about him! :silent: :coat:

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
Larry David":313cn4ho said:
I have to say something isn’t right. The performances against Fleetwood Peterborough and worst of all Rochdale last night indicate something rotten in the state of Home Park.

Is Danny Mayor ill or injured? Why is Camara not starting games after one fifteen minute spell where we conceded a goal after he lost possession in midfield? Previously he was outstanding now he appears to be a scapegoat. Aimson clearly riled when he was taken off previously, Canavan left out for a young loanee from Fulham. George Cooper looks completely lost and disinterested.

Are there questions over Ryan Lowes man management? Are the players and management team really in this together or has a rift formed? I don’t know but the players confidence looks completely shot to bits. I also think this five sub thing has thrown him, does it help build confidence and continuity continually chopping and changing?

Maybe this is all just a bump in the road? But I think he has his work cut out to get the ship back on course.

This sounds like a pitch for a soap opera!

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
That was painful to watch last night. Two phrases came to mind whilst watching. You cut your coat according to your cloth and you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear. We are trying to play a system that we do not have the players to operate especially as far as the wing backs are concerned, Defensively we are fragile. We badly need a commanding centre back in the Sonny Bradley/Graham Coughlan mould.
Why was Joe Edwards subsituted at half time last night ? He was our best player against Lincoln on Saturday and I thought in the first half last night he was one of the few players to emerge with any credit. If the substitution was for any reason other than injury it was a bizarre decision.
I believe that Mike Cooper has a great future ahead of him but maybe the time has come on Saturday to take him out of the firing line for a few matches and to use Luke McCormicks experience in organising the shell shocked defence ahead of him.
One other lesson learned from last night is that Conner Grant is not a midfielder he played very wide right and was largely anonymous first half. I personally would have taken him off at half time in favour of Panutche Camara however he was far more effective second half at left back.
It will be very interesting to see our starting line up on Saturday. Fingers crossed that we bounce back but it will be a tough ask against Ipswich.

May 8, 2011
Green as Grass":2zuvsgwp said:
That was painful to watch last night. Two phrases came to mind whilst watching. You cut your coat according to your cloth and you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear. We are trying to play a system that we do not have the players to operate especially as far as the wing backs are concerned, Defensively we are fragile. We badly need a commanding centre back in the Sonny Bradley/Graham Coughlan mould.
Why was Joe Edwards subsituted at half time last night ? He was our best player against Lincoln on Saturday and I thought in the first half last night he was one of the few players to emerge with any credit. If the substitution was for any reason other than injury it was a bizarre decision.
I believe that Mike Cooper has a great future ahead of him but maybe the time has come on Saturday to take him out of the firing line for a few matches and to use Luke McCormicks experience in organising the shell shocked defence ahead of him.
One other lesson learned from last night is that Conner Grant is not a midfielder he played very wide right and was largely anonymous first half. I personally would have taken him off at half time in favour of Panutche Camara however he was far more effective second half at left back.
It will be very interesting to see our starting line up on Saturday. Fingers crossed that we bounce back but it will be a tough ask against Ipswich.

If we don’t have the players to play the system, two questions,
Why not and secondly why play that system then?

Green as Grass":3thynzh4 said:

My reading was it was simply a sacrifice to get Byron Moore better-footed to RWB and Conor Grant to LWB. I suppose Joe could / should have stayed on to take up one of the two midfield berths. The other thing was maybe saving him for Saturday, with this game all but lost.

It took me quite a while who was captain though - seemed to be big Frank.