Brief Synopsis | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

Aug 5, 2016
up_the_line":1ffk9mk3 said:
gru_mpy":1ffk9mk3 said:
Interesting comments from a Blades fan on one of their forums. Why can't Lowe see you can't play tippy-tappy football at the back with players who are not good enough and who continually give away possession. Sideways, sideways, backwards -sideways, sideways backwards then give it back to the opposition. Call me old fashioned but if the ball ain't nowhere near your own area then the opposition ain't gonna score many!

Plymouth looked vastly out of their depth for 30 minutes. Kamikaze defending trying to play Potterball with L1 players. They kept repeatedly giving the ball away to us and we missed a couple of sitters but contrived to make what should have been a comfortable lead just the 1.0 from a good deep cross and header. Every time Plymouth went forward they just wandered through our non-existent midfield. Nothing in the centre. Just back off to our own area. They should have scored. We could easily have gone in level. We're making unnecessarily heavy-weather of this against a team who look like they have 3 bombscares at the back. I don't personally agree with it, but should have had a penalty as well.
LikeHaha Reactions:shrubbery, CWA14, varkanoid and 1

Well frankly it's rubbish isn't it though. Because our first goal at Sunderland came from a move involving almost the entire team, and our best chance in the first half today came not from punting it like the archetyple lower division cloggers, but from being confident in our ability as a team to play around the opposition.
Thankfully for the players they have a manager who projects confidence in them rather than says 'look Kelland, Jerome, Will: you're all third division players so whenever you get it, for god's sake just punt it'
Give me players trying to play football, goals like Lewis at Sunderland, and a manager who improves them any day rather than hoofball which I can see in the park

Well said. We nearly scored a goal that was played out from the back and virtually our whole team had a touch, all pass and move. Probably the best chance of the game.

What chances did the numerous long balls of Cooper, Aimson, Edwards, Grant and Watts achieve? The ball just came back at us.

This team is at its best when in possession and attacking. Sadly in the first half we were too concerned with trying to contain Sheffield United rather than play our own game. Last 30 mins it was hard to see which was the top flight team and which was the lower league cloggers. Certainly not obvious from technical ability. Reeves, Camara and Mayor were as comfortable on the ball as any of them.

Jun 27, 2013
Opoku had another good game but I can't help but wonder why he was playing as a sweeper for their 2nd leaving Sharp an easy angle to run through on goal, he should have been trying to keep a line with Aimson & Watts, I put it down to inexperience so I hope he learns from it. Mind you that was my only real gripe from today, I generally thought the lads gave a good account of PAFC & themselves and whilst it could have gone better I'm still proud of them which hasn't always been the case this season :scarf:

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
up_the_line":1mdaumgb said:
Steve Evans":1mdaumgb said:
Dan Ellard":1mdaumgb said:
Come on, Steve. Mayor 3?! When he set a number of attacks going and actually defended well?

And that'd the same Moore you're giving a 4 to who set up our goal, right?
yes

You know a lot of psychedelic substances are illegal still right?
i source my mushrooms locally. ;)

Jan 27, 2012
That BBC woman commentator didn't like the Sheffield Utd keeper. The poor bloke had hardly touched the ball and she was still criticising him.

I agree that Reeves played well.

Sheffield United deserved to win, but Argyle gave a good account of themselves. The goals we conceded were soft and the result of defensive mistakes (Argyle badly need a decent central defender). However, the balance of play was firmly with Sheffield United- and they probably should have had a penalty in the first half.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
GreenThing":3mi4anew said:
IJN":3mi4anew said:
I must admit it mystifies me as well.

He's a fair player in my book and always gives his all.

Stevie Adams syndrome. Does a good job that no one notices.

Difference is he doesn't do a very good job and a lot of people notice.

Stevie always filled in, rarely gave the ball away and was very good without the ball, closing the opposition down and preventing them getting a grip on the game. Fornah stands off too much, looks too often for the difficult pass when the easy option would be better and strolls when he needs to put the effort in. Think Fornah will always be a lower league player.

Jan 4, 2016
First opportunity to see RL’s Argyle and was suitably impressed. I thought we played some attractive football and created a couple of gilt edged chances. Problem for me was that every time the ball was played sideways & backwards in front of our own goal I was on tenterhooks waiting for a mistake.

I also couldn’t understand why, when time was running out, we persisted with this tactic - found myself shouting at the screen to get the ball forward! I would have loved to have seen their keeper put under pressure but I suppose we aren’t set up to play that way and don’t have the players with that physicality. Football but not the way I know it.

Enjoyed the game though just a shame about the result.

Sep 2, 2008
Martyn":1xw9qe6h said:
What is with this constant criticism of Fornah.

Does a lot of work, for the team, that goes unnoticed. Breaks many attacks, but not as forward thinking as Camara. But a vital cog in the team as defensive midfielder.

I think he is a good team player for us, to be given scores of anywhere between 1 and 5, is a disgrace.

He was the main reason why they scored their 2nd goal. His positioning is woeful and this is the reason why a lot of other teams have scored against us as well. I really hope Reeves can stay fit and that Lowe plays him in that position instead of Fornah.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Surely, a CDM, although in a semi defensive position, needs to have a positive attitude and to try to create offensive positions. How often does he make successful passes forward to Jephcott, Hardie, Edwards or Grant?
It seems to me that when he receives the ball, in space, he is more likely to pass backwards, to find Aimson, Opoku or Watts.
It did seem that, when Reeves came on he provided a lot more positivity and I think that he deserves an opportunity in that position.
Of course, on Tuesday, we will also have Lewis and Ennis available and that may change our starting XI.

Sep 2, 2008
davie nine":208pfjn9 said:
Surely, a CDM, although in a semi defensive position, needs to have a positive attitude and to try to create offensive positions. How often does he make successful passes forward to Jephcott, Hardie, Edwards or Grant?
It seems to me that when he receives the ball, in space, he is more likely to pass backwards, to find Aimson, Opoku or Watts.
It did seem that, when Reeves came on he provided a lot more positivity and I think that he deserves an opportunity in that position.
Of course, on Tuesday, we will also have Lewis and Ennis available and that may change our starting XI.

I agree and thats why I would prefer to have Edwards in there. I can't see that happening though considering the impact he is having on the right wing so Reeves is the next best option for me.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
All in all a good performance. Both their goals highlighted our defensive frailty. Thought Cooper looked good, MOM for me, but was at fault for Sharp’s goal. A keeper has to stay on his feet and narrow the angle but he went to ground too early IMO. Thought Reeves did well and drove us up the pitch. Hope we can recreate that intensity on Tuesday!

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Lesley Somerville":10vt20el said:
I note you live in Italy. I think that must be where your love of 'passion' comes from. Yes, let's see Ryan Lowe running around with his hands in the air, crying when we lose, throwing his coat on the ground, that sort of thing.... :roll:

Ha, yes maybe. Or we could accept that he's 'proud of the lads' - who'd just let a very poor side run rings around us for large parts of the game.
I guess I'm too old to appreciate this 'powder puff' approach to the game (I mean the players, not RL). I want to see a team that 'gets up and at 'em' from the start, not wait to see how it pans out. I want to see players urging each other on. Passion? Yes, I want to see that!
I want to see Argyle do well but, at the moment, we are light years behind the Prem, the Championship and even the top of League 1.
Maybe I'm just falling out of love with football, I don't know. I don't get all this faffing around at the back that every team seems to play now, it doesn't work for me, it doesn't entertain me.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
999mattyg":h2dbxk7t said:
All in all a good performance. Both their goals highlighted our defensive frailty. Thought Cooper looked good, MOM for me, but was at fault for Sharp’s goal. A keeper has to stay on his feet and narrow the angle but he went to ground too early IMO. Thought Reeves did well and drove us up the pitch. Hope we can recreate that intensity on Tuesday!
Is Lewis left or right-footed? If he is right footed then Edward's could go CDM as Lewis shows the same relish to go forward.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Lousy_Pint":c3faxn69 said:
Lesley Somerville":c3faxn69 said:
I note you live in Italy. I think that must be where your love of 'passion' comes from. Yes, let's see Ryan Lowe running around with his hands in the air, crying when we lose, throwing his coat on the ground, that sort of thing.... :roll:

Ha, yes maybe. Or we could accept that he's 'proud of the lads' - who'd just let a very poor side run rings around us for large parts of the game.
I guess I'm too old to appreciate this 'powder puff' approach to the game (I mean the players, not RL). I want to see a team that 'gets up and at 'em' from the start, not wait to see how it pans out. I want to see players urging each other on. Passion? Yes, I want to see that!
I want to see Argyle do well but, at the moment, we are light years behind the Prem, the Championship and even the top of League 1.
Maybe I'm just falling out of love with football, I don't know. I don't get all this faffing around at the back that every team seems to play now, it doesn't work for me, it doesn't entertain me.

I'm sure there's a Steve Cotterill, David Kemp, Graham Westley highlights VHS on sale somewhere you can put in the player.
'Long Balls' Rated 45. Contains scenes of 'geeing up', graphic punting, OTT managerial gesticulation and spoonfuls of passsssshhiooon.
No teapots were hurt in the making of this film.