Brief Synopsis | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Pogleswoody":238dypz5 said:
Has anyone on this thread said that they are not disappointed with Argyle this season? :think:
Disappointed but it ain't the end of the world and, as fans, we can look forward to next season. :scarf:

It is not quite the end of the world, but on a comparative basis, it just shows what a great manager Luggy was to get the team promoted from the fourth level to the second level of the EFL in two seasons. There was a snowball's chance in hell of RL matching that achievement. I look forward to the forthcoming closed season to watch with great interest the revolving door for leavers and new arrivals. I just hope we do not just end of with 4th and 5th choices of new players for the key vacant positions, especially if the team is to be set up the same as this past season..

Aug 4, 2011
We actually finished 10th in Luggys first season at this level, consolidating before getting promoted the following season. Although he bailed before we crossed the line as we all know. Was sort of hoping for a mid table / top 10 finish. It was evident from the outset our defence and goalkeeper would let goals in for fun this season. The fact that Lowe failed to address this, or even openly acknowledge it until now worries me somewhat

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Pogleswoody":va7y4spp said:
Cobi Budge":va7y4spp said:
Pogleswoody":va7y4spp said:
Cobi Budge":va7y4spp said:
Christ this website needs some balance back because 9/10 threads posted now are depressing hyperbole - and that was the case before we hit poor form as well.

As soon as we were deemed safe, I relaxed. I now have a smile.
I expect Lowe etc to sort it out for next season in League One.

I expect us to beat Gillingham on Sunday.

I believe when I fall in love this time it will be forever :

I'm excited for next season, there are problems that need to be fixed this summer, but in general the club is in a good place, and I can't wait to get back inside HP.

Geddon Cobi!! :thumbup:
That's two of us, who's in?? :scarf:

I will third that. No sane Argyle fan has found much joy in the second half of this season and it’s a goodly while since we had a high point. But, i still can’t wait to get back to see a game just to be there. And the problems this season are so abundantly obvious Lowe really would be criminally negligent if he doesn’t resolve them. I think he will. I think he has to. Because I think he knows this season has not been up to standard.

Jan 27, 2012
Hallett seems a nice, affable chap when talking to Argyle fans.

But I'm sure that Hallett won't hesitate to fire Lowe if this season's form carries on into next season. Anyone who thrives in American business culture, especially in finance, must have a tough and ruthless streak about them. It seems to me that Hallett likes to set targets and, if they are not being met, will do what is necessary to achieve them.

By the way- did anyone else hear Lowe rollocking Camara on the YouTube highlights ?!!
I wouldn't have wanted to be in that dressing room.

P

Paranoid Android

HC Green":1n1nytq1 said:
Paranoid Android":1n1nytq1 said:
Gary_Wills":1n1nytq1 said:
For both clubs, Stanley and Argyle, the ceiling long-term L1 because that’s how far ‘a non-spending sustainable club’ can possibly operate now isn’t it. The likes of Hull and Sunderland have an entirely different model to work to, ceiling for them right now is probably mid Championship.

Stanley have been dancing the survival waltz a bit longer, but Argyle should hope to get there soon, probably not next season which’ll be a very testing survival battle, but the one following all going well.

Truth

So you don’t think this season has been a disappointment, started off with a lot of positivity and ended with several records being broken for the wrong reasons?

Ok so the difference between me and you (and others) is that I don't want to polarise opinion. The truths always somewhere in the middle. Nowhere have I said I'm satisfied with the season as a whole. At the same time, to only dwell on the negatives is self defeating isn't it? That's not the same thing as burying your head in the sand, it's being objective. The issues are obvious, nobody can argue those. But perspective and how you see them in the overall scheme is what seperates us.

I don't care for records,you can worry about them if you like. I only care that were in league 1 next season and will be keeping a careful eye on things to see if the manager has learned lessons from his first season at this level. The trouble with comparing records is, without context they don't reflect the time and the circumstances.

Jonathan Edwards came out of nowhere broke the triple jump record in 1995 by a mile, and it hasn't been bettered. does that make every triple jumper a failure since? Or was Jonathan one of a kind? Argyle haven't been in League 1 much in recent years, the last time we were there and got relegated some would argue we had a better team in a weaker league. When was the last time Argyle recruited a young inexperienced manager as part of an overall long term strategy. Answer - never. Will it work? Time will tell. Will I lose sleep if it doesn't? probably not, try something else. We haven't got very far doing it the same old Argyle way., nothing to lose. Enjoy the ride.

Sep 2, 2008
gaspargomez":1mfmd20a said:

But I'm sure that Hallett won't hesitate to fire Lowe if this season's form carries on into next season. Anyone who thrives in American business culture, especially in finance, must have a tough and ruthless streak about them. It seems to me that Hallett likes to set targets and, if they are not being met, will do what is necessary to achieve them.

By the way- did anyone else hear Lowe rollocking Camara on the YouTube highlights ?!!

Yeah. Something along the lines of, 'Pan, that was your fault'! So, as we're not part of a blame culture that was just constructive criticism :roll:

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
gaspargomez":3nlk8zu3 said:

If I recall correctly at the time of sacking Adams Hallett said he had only ever sacked 5 people of which DA and PW were 2.

He did however say he's more stringent in recruitment so shouldn't need to sack anyone.

Jun 27, 2019
Gary_Wills":2yxi1rvx said:
Disappointed, no way.

We’ve a management team who seem happy to be here, and for three quarters of the season when effort levels were high we had a mid table team entertaining to watch. Does the job for me.

This for me. Though with the added caveat of a rather large red flag due to the way our season imploded so spectacularly.

I'd like to know why RL thinks that happened. We were comfortably mid-table and looking up towards the playoffs but literally became powderpuff almost overnight.

Did the players run out of steam after a long, weird season? Did the management take their eye off this season in planning for next? Did certain players down tools knowing they aren't going to be at the club next season?

We were competing in this division, beating some good teams home and away.

What happened?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Maybe too simplistic but once Jephcott stopped scoring in early February we only won 5 more games in the next 19 games and only one of them with a bigger margin of one goal.

That theory doesn't cover the defensive shambles but maybe Jephcott scoring regularly covered a whole host of problems which came to light only when he stopped scoring?

When he stopped after the 2-2 draw v Portsmouth we were in 12th place, 8 points away from the play-offs with a game in hand and 11 points away from relegation with a game in hand.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
PL2 3DQ":12udifaf said:
Maybe too simplistic but once Jephcott stopped scoring in early February we only won 5 more games in the next 19 games and only one of them with a bigger margin of one goal.

That theory doesn't cover the defensive shambles but maybe Jephcott scoring regularly covered a whole host of problems which came to light only when he stopped scoring?

When he stopped after the 2-2 draw v Portsmouth we were in 12th place, 8 points away from the play-offs with a game in hand and 11 points away from relegation with a game in hand.
imagine the mess we would have been in if luke didn't score all those goals.dropping him was a poor judgement in my opinion.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Subbing Jephcott when on a hat-trick and two minutes after going 2-0 up against Portsmouth for a centre-back in Woods looks to be a turning point for Jephcott and the team.

P

Paranoid Android

Gary_Wills":1ibex9vw said:
Recruiting Kevin Hodges was a very similar strategy, no?

Actually Gary, you're probably right about that. I think he got 2 seasons before he was moved on. Not sure the chairman then had the same long term vision but your right.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Player meetings, RLs public meltdowns- threatening to bring the kids in, never following through give the impression he knew he was possiblly out of his depth but he was either to proud, stubborn to ask for assistance or did he just have the mindset to get to the end of the season with the players he was stuck with- with the knowledge we would still be in league 1 come the end of the season

He is probably extremely frustrated & irritated that in his mind is rather exceptional gameplan has gone up in smoke & he should be very embarrassed at our appalling goal conceded column because to him it is all about his reputation

Did Jephers lose his mojo when RL started tinkering with striker rotation to accommodate Niall Ennis

Nobody knows what goes on in the dressing room- were there player cliques, rotten apples , unresolved issues, was RL to much one of the lads so that when he had is public meltdowns they did not take him seriously- has he blurred the lines between being the boss & being one of the group

The extended entourage will no doubt debrief & pick over the bones of a season that has well & truly imploded- will the entourage look at themselves individually & collectively & say we have failed & we need to improve in every department from recruitment, coaching, tactics,strategy,gameplan, being clinical & having a ruthless streak

Hopefully over the close season they will rip it up & start again because if they dont i fear the worst- maybe we will have a clue as to how next season will take shape with the incomings over the next couple of months

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Steve Evans":f9acycfs said:
PL2 3DQ":f9acycfs said:

imagine the mess we would have been in if luke didn't score all those goals.dropping him was a poor judgement in my opinion.

I really like Jephcott and think this dip in form is just a result of a young man playing a huge amount of football in the last 18 months. However, dropping him was not a poor judgment. He has not been playing well, has not looked fully fit and Niall Ennis has been absolutely superb since he came through the door and has thoroughly warranted his place in the side.

I expect we'll see LJ back to his best after the summer. The kid needs a proper rest. This season must have been extremely tough on the players, playing so regularly in such strange circumstances. It's no excuse for the poor performances of late, but I can't imagine they've enjoyed much of this season, really.