Brief Synopsis | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

Bil

May 31, 2019
Mog in Truro has got it right. There are good players in our team and I don't think we will have the big clear out many are calling for, but if I was RL I would be looking over my shoulder after 10 games next season. I too don't like hire and fire and we are at last seeing academy players coming through but it's the inconsistent performance I can't tolerate :banghead:

Beyton Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 19, 2005
Bil":1a3lav6z said:
Mog in Truro has got it right. There are good players in our team and I don't think we will have the big clear out many are calling for, but if I was RL I would be looking over my shoulder after 10 games next season. I too don't like hire and fire and we are at last seeing academy players coming through but it's the inconsistent performance I can't tolerate :banghead:

Nothing inconsistent about the last 16 games.

Nov 29, 2011
Plymouth
I’ve never been Lowe’s biggest fan but he deserves the chance to sort this out this summer and is rightly going to get it. I don’t have a lot of faith he can sort it but we’ll see.

This team is worse than the one that took us down in 18/19. It’s pretty much nailed on that it’s going to concede more and score less than that team, which is eye watering. We are unbelievably lucky that the overall standard of the division this season is so poor.

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
I agree with the general view on this thread that this has been an exceptionally frustrating and disappointing season - one of the worst in my 70 years as a fan. There is the inconsistency between our first half and second half performances and also between our good runs and the bad runs including the appalling end of the season run. We know from the good runs that the squad is capable of playing very well with the ability to beat any team and yet in bad runs the same squad is hopeless. Alongside the inconsistency in results there are the continuing weaknesses especially in defence, in taking chances and in losing possession in midfield. What is particularly worrying is the apparent inability of management and players to learn from these mistakes and put things right.

So for next season on the players front we need major changes in the squad, especially in defence. On the management side things may also need to be changed not immediately but by the turn of the year if there are any signs in the early of next season of the current problems and results continuing.

P

Paranoid Android

I find it puzzling why some are asking do we know what our style of play is. Now arguing because we’ve moved from 3 to 4 at the back this is a sign of tactical confusion?

It’s not confusion, it’s the manager doing what many of us were asking for through the season, to be flexible, try different formations, especially 4 at the back. A number of us commented at various points that none of the top 6 play with 3 at the back.

So Lowe has learned, but that’s now presented as a problem by some.

Neil Dewsnip said in the forum, the argyle way, playing attacking football through the thirds, employing wing backs to get low crosses into the box and strikers to make runs to connect with them, that’s the philosophy and not dependent on any one tactical formation.

Personally, I hope Ryan recruits with 4 at the back in mind, having full backs with pace who can join attacks as wing backs, much like Man City do. Having 2 DMs in front means the CBS can concentrate on defending and not bringing the ball out so much.

Aug 24, 2009
Well, one match to go and contrary to what Lowe stated the season is petering out without a win in what seems ages, he promised so much but delivered so little. Having watched a lot of football in the last 9 months and every minute of our games I am at a loss as to where we are going to score our goals. Even in yesterdays dismal display when we were well in the game Ennis missed an opportunity when it was easier to score by missing the ball completely. The sad thing is in nearly every game we have looked comfortable and only seemed a matter of time when we would score but we didn't. At the beginning of the second half we often conceeded a corner, within a couple of minutes the opposition scored and this often developed into damage limitations.. Edwards appears to be our main goal threat and he is playing right back, this does not say much for our main attackers. I have recently decided that I actually do not expect us to win, our supporters deserve much better. This is not my knee jerk reaction which was suggested recently and that I have been on Lowes case all season, I really do wish we had something positive to discuss but in short the season as been a shambles. I would agree with some comments that the positives have been the finance is secure, the youth system is going well which is all good, all we need now is to know how to play and more importantly win and entertain. It as been suggested that this season as been a learning curve for Lowe and his team, I would argue that as a Professional football club surely we can employ a manager who would be better suited working in as a salesman, he as pulled the blind over our chairmans eyes and some of our supporters. Lowe is out of his depth at this level and his behaviour towards the referee yesterday was out of order, by clapping at him when he was yellow carded displays an attitude which I think is bad for football and our club, I am sorry to say but this is not good enough. There will not be a change of manager etc which will be our downfall, even in games like Portsmouth when we were on top with 10 minutes to go he changed a winning formation into luckily not loseing, this is not a learning curve. This is football at a basic level and something I would have expected a manager to have grasped before becoming the main man at Professional club. I look forward to next season with trepidation

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Tin hat on but I didn't feel we played that badly yesterday. We certainly weren't great, but I'm not sure we were as poor as some are suggesting. We were always in the game, I thought in terms of general play we were level with Sunderland. The first goal is avoidable, Opoku is positioned poorly and Cooper gets his angles wrong. Opoku's needless sending off at 1 1 definitely didn't help, we were probably the better team at that point. Their second wasn't a penalty. For their third, Luke makes a good save but nobody follows in.

We weren't sharp enough in either box, which has been a running theme I know, but I thought generally we played OK and bar one or two, I felt most of the players showed an acceptable level of commitment.

Anyway, I'm not excusing the result or our form, but at full time yesterday I definitely didn't feel as annoyed as I have in recent weeks, moments cost us, as opposed to the overall performance.

Dec 16, 2004
Cobi Budge":2m826g82 said:
Tin hat on but I didn't feel we played that badly yesterday. We certainly weren't great, but I'm not sure we were as poor as some are suggesting. We were always in the game, I thought in terms of general play we were level with Sunderland. The first goal is avoidable, Opoku is positioned poorly and Cooper gets his angles wrong. Opoku's needless sending off at 1 1 definitely didn't help, we were probably the better team at that point. Their second wasn't a penalty. For their third, Luke makes a good save but nobody follows in.

We weren't sharp enough in either box, which has been a running theme I know, but I thought generally we played OK and bar one or two, I felt most of the players showed an acceptable level of commitment.

Anyway, I'm not excusing the result or our form, but at full time yesterday I definitely didn't feel as annoyed as I have in recent weeks.

I really don't think you get it. The game is not about general play but about scoring goals and stopping the opposition from scoring. At the moment we are carp at both. General play is irrelevant.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
" ... Even in yesterdays dismal display when we were well in the game Ennis missed an opportunity when it was easier to score by missing the ball completely. ... "

But he didn't did he! What he did was screw the ball round the post from 3 yards with his left foot. Not his best effort but unfair to say that he missed the ball!! ;) :lol:

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
lyndhurst13":r84zeity said:
Cobi Budge":r84zeity said:

Anyway, I'm not excusing the result or our form, but at full time yesterday I definitely didn't feel as annoyed as I have in recent weeks.

I really don't think you get it. The game is not about general play but about scoring goals and stopping the opposition from scoring. At the moment we are carp at both. General play is irrelevant.

I quite literally said "we weren't sharp enough in either box", which of course, is the reason we lost. I just felt we played better than we did, for example, against Shrewsbury, Hull & Charlton.

Cdp

Oct 18, 2014
Wrexham
Paranoid Android":2kruohf3 said:
oldage":2kruohf3 said:
Paranoid Android":2kruohf3 said:
I'll pass....
That's more than the team does!

Really Oldage, so what were they doing at 1-1 upto 84 minutes...growing their allotment?

If only a game if football was 84 minutes long we would have secured a point at home lucky us. :scarf:

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Christ this website needs some balance back because 9/10 threads posted now are depressing hyperbole - and that was the case before we hit poor form as well.