Brief Synopsis | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

Jan 27, 2012
Its not just the players- its the wide open formation that Lowe favours.

You wouldn’t see a Paul Sturrock or Neil Warnock team set up like Argyle are currently.

I cant remember a team that has conceded so many goals.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
gaspargomez":2q3p3aq4 said:
Its not just the players- its the wide open formation that Lowe favours.

You wouldn’t see a Paul Sturrock or Neil Warnock team set up like Argyle are currently.

I cant remember a team that has conceded so many goals.
the most home goals we have conceded in our entire history. :facepalm:

May 21, 2010
taunton
It's an absolute embarrassment the amount of goals conceded this season. To tell the truth I think this is probably the worst Argyle side I have seen.

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
If this is the worst Argyle side you've seen Steve, you must be one of PASOTI's youngest posters.

Great post SV, sadly todays society always want something yesterday, Simon Hallett as a smart and astute wealthy man, knows what it takes to grow something, it doesn't happen overnight or by chopping and changing constantly. Hopefully RL gets his wish and gets it a solid CB or two, an experienced central midfielder and we wont be anywhere near as poor as some people suggest on here.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
I think whilst 18th isn’t a disaster a lot of the performances have been horrific, as bad as any I can remember, disjointed unprofessional panicked headless chicken performances with a manager seemingly unable to respond tactically to prevent it. Lowe comes across as thoughtful and astute but this isn’t borne out on the pitch so maybe he’s just good at talking the talk?

And yet on the other hand he won us promotion last year with exciting attacking football that the fan base lapped up. He charged onto the pitch fist pumping and shouting after every win and we all loved it loved his passion and that seemed to transmit to the players as well.

So what’s changed? No fans home or away so Lowe and the players are unable to plug into or stoke the fervour of the crowd. Alternatively that could have been a blessing for Lowe! Better quality opposition and managers who seem to have sussed that we are a bit of a one trick pony. It’s been a massive step up for players like Cooper Camara Hardie Aimson Fornah Opoku Watts Woods Lewis and latterly Jephcott. Some will come back stronger next season hopefully and some I hope Lowe realises are simply not good enough for Argyle.

Hopefully Lowe Schumacher Dewsnip and the rest will have learned from the experience because if not with 10,000 critical fans in the ground a repeat of this season would surely be terminal.

Apr 5, 2008
Least the team have something to aim for last game, concede two more goals and beat the 80 goals we conceded the last time we were in league one!

Absolutely woeful defence, all need replacing and bring in a new management team to go along with it, who obviously have no idea how to coach defending. The stats don't lie.

Lowe was lucky no fans in the ground last 12 games, would not have survived if they had been in.

Oct 20, 2015
Controversially perhaps, I'd like to point out that Opoku had a run of games where he played well and we (Pasoti) were pretty united in wanting him in the starting XI.

However his performances over the last couple of months have been abysmal. More than that, I think his attitude stinks. It's always someone else's fault. The finger pointing and arm waving after each conceded goal - who does he think he's kidding?

Fulham are welcome to have him back and I wouldn't be surprised if they release him. I think he has the ingredients of a decent player somewhere, but they're too deeply buried under his own ego.

Oct 20, 2015
Metal_Green_Mickey":2jxdf165 said:
Think of it like this.

We are about to go into the close season. Get a load of new players. Yet as it stands nobody knows our best formation or the type of football we want to play under Lowe. That’s what worries me. Why recruit a player when lm not sure if we are a 3 ATB or a 4ATB team! Do we need full backs or wing backs? There is a huge difference there in the type of player you need. Some wing backs don’t make great full backs and vice versa.

I know what Lowe says in terms of the type of football and style. They are just sound bites. Fans love sound bites. It’s what gets us all excited in pre-season.

Now it’s about substance. It’s about delivering.

Would the pragmatic approach be to buy available* players and set up the team according to their preferred position? Eg if we can only source centre backs then we're 3ATB and vice versa.

*I realise this isn't simple. Good, cheap, young - pick two

Jul 12, 2016
moles40":1wl0xqpc said:
Least the team have something to aim for last game, concede two more goals and beat the 80 goals we conceded the last time we were in league one!

Absolutely woeful defence, all need replacing and bring in a new management team to go along with it, who obviously have no idea how to coach defending. The stats don't lie.

Lowe was lucky no fans in the ground last 12 games, would not have survived if they had been in.
It has been a very strange season and hopefully will not be repeated. In all the many years supporting Argyle I cannot recall a more disjointed defence ,weak midfield and misfiring forwards in a team at the same time.I am delighted we have survived in the division but feel similar to last season.IMHO we were lucky to get promoted Iast season and lucky we didn't go down this season.

Jul 12, 2016
moles40":wm5162vr said:

It has been a very strange season and hopefully will not be repeated. In all the many years supporting Argyle I cannot recall a more disjointed defence ,weak midfield and misfiring forwards in a team at the same time.I am delighted we have survived in the division but feel similar to last season.IMHO we were lucky to get promoted Iast season and lucky we didn't go down this season.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Watching week in week out has been emotionally draining- yet i will still pay my £10 & watch next Sunday

I like everyone else have not taken any pleasure in our goals conceded column or our lack of clinical edge or ruthless streak

You could say it is the blind leading the blind in the hope that we will come good & get results- yes we have had good times & good results Sunderland away, Lincoln home & the FA Cup run but that is as far as it goes

RL shouting "F****G Idiot after yesterday sending off says it all- he & is entourage lost control months ago- every game is a wing & a prayer hoping we dont concede or we will nick a goal or the opposition is worse than us

We have had to many passengers in our team for months doing the bare minimum - i feel for the players that give 100% every game knowing the majority of there endeavour is in vain because of who is playing alongside of them

RLs dereliction of duty in the defensive department is unforgivable - yes i accept he could not stop Scott & Naz leaving in January but did he not think in the close season prior to the season starting that was an area of the team that should have been of serious consideration in terms of recruitment- i guess we will never know whether there were targets who were available or what sums of money were in the pot for those targets

The post mortem has already started will RL be man enough & recognise the alarming failings of this season or will him & his entourage be totally ignorant of the facts & continue in the same vain next season

I for one hope they learn the painful home truths & rip it up & start again because if they dont we all know what will happen next season

Beyton Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 19, 2005
It's been a terrible season. Can't remember so may spinless performances and abject hammerings.

Furthermore can't watch any longer the tedious slow motion couldn't penetrate if we played til the end of time COMBINED with the fast nippy and direct opposition looking like they'll shred our keystone kops defence at will.

This all reflects on the management as much as the players.

Emperor's new clothes any one?

Apr 9, 2011
Which ever way you try & dress it up we have been poor this season. Lets face it we were very fortunate to get promoted last season.& get away with not being relegated this
This season i think we have relied too much on loanees who have proved not good enough for lge1 & for several weeks now have downed tools knowing they are not going to be here next season. E. g. Opoku who plainly could not wait to get off the pitch yesterday & walk into oblivion as far as PAFC is concerned. Was he the only one in the dressing room with that attitude , i think not.
What concerns me is this constant starting from scratch again every season , Adams was always criticised for this , if you keep on doing it you surely are never going to build up a stable nucleus of players within the club. Am not a fan of these massive clear outs cant see it getting us any where get it right as it doesnt reflect well on the management. I havent checked but would be interesting to see how many changes Luggy made from season to season in the early noughties when he was putting together the best side we have seen in the last 20 years

Sep 15, 2020
The most frustrating season i can recall in my 50+ years of following the greens - they have shown at times how capable they can be but then spells when they look as if they have never played together before . The difference is because , as many have said before , other teams soon realise that when we are closed down quickly we do not have an answer and surely this is down to the way we are set up - ie down to management ! Whilst i am not one for hiring and firing too quickly surely if there is no improvement by the end of the year then Lowe's position must be reviewed or Mr Hallett's long term plans will be in jeopardy.
I think we have the nucleus of a reasonable side and hopefully there will be some reasonable business during the summer (subject to finance ) but whilst i agree with Oldage that we are weak in defence and midfield i do not feel we can judge our attack
as they have had next to no service up front and waste most of their time having to chase lost causes

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
mutley marvel":15o85vf1 said:
Watching week in week out has been emotionally draining- yet i will still pay my £10 & watch next Sunday

I like everyone else have not taken any pleasure in our goals conceded column or our lack of clinical edge or ruthless streak

You could say it is the blind leading the blind in the hope that we will come good & get results- yes we have had good times & good results Sunderland away, Lincoln home & the FA Cup run but that is as far as it goes

RL shouting "F****G Idiot after yesterday sending off says it all- he & is entourage lost control months ago- every game is a wing & a prayer hoping we dont concede or we will nick a goal or the opposition is worse than us

We have had to many passengers in our team for months doing the bare minimum - i feel for the players that give 100% every game knowing the majority of there endeavour is in vain because of who is playing alongside of them

RLs dereliction of duty in the defensive department is unforgivable - yes i accept he could not stop Scott & Naz leaving in January but did he not think in the close season prior to the season starting that was an area of the team that should have been of serious consideration in terms of recruitment- i guess we will never know whether there were targets who were available or what sums of money were in the pot for those targets

The post mortem has already started will RL be man enough & recognise the alarming failings of this season or will him & his entourage be totally ignorant of the facts & continue in the same vain next season

I for one hope they learn the painful home truths & rip it up & start again because if they dont we all know what will happen next season

The 'f***ing idiot' comment was aimed at Camara. The full comment 'Pan, that's your fault, f***ing idiot' was made just after Opoku was sent off.
That sort of shout from the dug-out is probably made several times during a match and is lost when there's a crowd in the stadium and part and parcel of the emotions on a matchday but in an eerily empty stadium it carries more weight and meaning, especially when there's a social media ban due to online abuse of players.