Brief Synopsis | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

Mar 14, 2009
xmastree":3htl4o0s said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":3htl4o0s said:
Season ending and we all relived. However, next season we will still have this manager.

Lots of questions and not many answers.

1. What is our system now under Lowe?
2. Why are players not improving under him? In fact progressively getting worse
3. Why does he shoe horn players into not their best positions. Last season it was Cooper at LWB, this season we have Camara at RM now. C Grant best position is LB because of his crossing ability. Like we saw today. Created our goal from a good cross. That was his best moment but otherwise he doesn’t influence play from CM.
4. Where is our creativity under Lowe? Our final pass / cross is woeful.
5. Can he tactically adapt within games? How come he has only changed the course of one game when we have been behind? How come he hasn’t influenced games with his substations?

If you think lm being harsh then think about next season. People are expecting a top 10 push.

We are going to have a completely new team. Will take time for team time to gel. A number of months. It’s not like we just have to add in a few positions. On top of this you have managers with bigger budgets and proven in this league. Adkins of Charlton, Cowley of Portsmouth, Appleton of Lincoln etc...

It’s not like we finishing the season strongly. It’s 2 wins from the last 15. We don’t have a strong, solid base to build from.

Lucky we are good off the pitch. Well run. On the pitch we are currently a shambles.

"People are expecting a top 10 push". Really? Who is? Can you name a couple of them? On the back of what?

There is absolutely nothing at present that could lead any sane person to expect a top 10 push. When we've made a few signings, it's possible that there might be the fuel to stoke such expectations, particularly if we manage to net some competent experienced defenders. Until then, anyone with such expectations is a fantasist.

I'd agree that we are well run off the field, but that, at some point, has to translate to the core activity - winning football matches.

I’d seen it on here. Ask people if finishing 13th and below next season is acceptable. If a mid table position with no threat of promotion or relegation will be acceptable as progress. Personally, l think we need to build a solid platform first. Then add the flair.

I just think fan expectations are we need be looking to threaten the playoffs from what l've read about next season.

Mar 21, 2006
Metal_Green_Mickey":2ng7s7q4 said:
Season ending and we all relived. However, next season we will still have this manager.

3. Why does he shoe horn players into not their best positions. Last season it was Cooper at LWB, this season we have Camara at RM now. C Grant best position is LB because of his crossing ability. Like we saw today. Created our goal from a good cross. That was his best moment but otherwise he doesn’t influence play from CM.
5. Can he tactically adapt within games? How come he has only changed the course of one game when we have been behind? How come he hasn’t influenced games with his substations?

If you think lm being harsh then think about next season. People are expecting a top 10 push.

We are going to have a completely new team. Will take time for team time to gel. A number of months. It’s not like we just have to add in a few positions. On top of this you have managers with bigger budgets and proven in this league. Adkins of Charlton, Cowley of Portsmouth, Appleton of Lincoln etc...

It’s not like we finishing the season strongly. It’s 2 wins from the last 15. We don’t have a strong, solid base to build from.

Lucky we are good off the pitch. Well run. On the pitch we are currently a shambles.

Agree 100% - I hope Simon reads this. I am really worried about next season.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Gary S":2sxum48j said:
A few thoughts....

There was the penalty that was but wasn't, and the penalty that
wasn't but was;
if Sunderland's first goal was offside, we were further hard done by, if
it wasn't, it was a ridiculous goal to concede;
Fornah had a fine game, and looked as though he might be playing
for a contract;
Law still has some rough edges defensively, but I like a lot about his play;
Edwards was excellent again;
Opoku will not be missed, and if Aimson is still injured, Tomlinson could be
in line for a start next week;
as well as the well-documented defensive deficiencies, we also suffer from
ponderous build-up
, and truly atrocious delivery into the box (one cross each
from Law and Grant excepted today);

We are far too slow on the ball.
it will be a very interesting summer;
bring on Gillingham.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
If you do not aim for either automatic promotion or promotion through the play offs ....what's the point in being in a league....aim for the stars and maybe land on the moon as Ian Holloway once said....

May 21, 2010
taunton
I suppose it's great that there are no fans in the ground to watch the so called football dished out recently, else Lowe would be getting the same amount of stick that Adams got. :mad:

Mar 14, 2009
demportdave":l7e5im17 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":l7e5im17 said:

Micky, I often agree with you and your constant but constructive criticism of Lowe and his tactics, or lack of them.

The final third of the season has been an absolute shambles, if not a disgrace and certainly an insult to the fans. Lowe and many of the players should hang their heads in shame. The well-meaning but very naive Argyle fans who took deep offence with the suggestion that some players were not giving their all must be feeling rather silly now, as well as really fed up and badly let down.

I would take issue with you over Grant though Mickey. Being able to put in a decent cross doesn't make you a good LB. The main job of any LB is to stop the numerous crosses going in to the box from where we have conceded so many goals this season.

Grant might have done OK in a few games as a temporary LB under Adams in the bottom Division at home against lowly opposition, but he is neither a LB or WB. His best position is as one of 2 holding midfielders sat in front of the Back 4.

DD, you are correct about C Grant. My point is that he is better in that position than a CM berth. However, people want to keep him on. I can see their point with his number of assists. Personally, l don’t think he isn’t a decent enough LB either but if we are going to keep him that’s where l rather it be.

My same argument is with Edwards playing at RWB/RB. I know what people will say. Are you mad? He has just been voted our player of the season. Yet his strength is driving in the box with his runs. If you look at him from wide position in final third his crossing is poor. We need a proper full back. We need to be Edwards back in midfield. Imagine him running into the box with the forwards trying to get on the end of someone who can put in a decent cross.

Like l said Lowe has been shoe horning players now for two seasons.

I will add though l don’t want him sacked. The reason being you need to give a manager ample opportunity to learn from their mistakes. With Covid-19 restrictions too it can’t of been too easy. Yet next season we need to see signs of progression on the field because at this moment in time we look terrible as a football team.

May 28, 2019
Steve Wooldridge":3dx0p5hq said:
I suppose it's great that there are no fans in the ground to watch the so called football dished out recently, else Lowe would be getting the same amount of stick that Adams got. :mad:
yes i agree, lowe has been lucky with the fans not being there, as argyle fans are not afraid to vent their disappointment and frustration in the past, and i think it would have made for some difficult decisions for the board,will be a interesting summer, will he get the budget he wants ? do the board have full belief in him anymore? lots of questions and decisions

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
On another poor day at the office I have just been cheered up by seeing Lincoln having a penalty awarded against them after the poorest simulation youn will ever see. They deserved that. .

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
I cannot believe Law as Argyles best player. I know it was a low bar but no way can I have that he was done a few times by the winger. He may come good but he doesn’t look to be blessed with a lot of pace and whilst the penalty was dubious he was done again after being booked earlier. I would offer him a one year deal with a view to hoping he improves rapidly. Edwards was my MOM but he didn’t have much to beat. Coops looks a bit flappy at times hopefully he will work hard at coming and claiming crosses in the close season. Three new central defenders and a wizened midfield general as a minimum please.

Feb 9, 2021
Larry David":21ej0ij8 said:
I cannot believe Law as Argyles best player. I know it was a low bar but no way can I have that he was done a few times by the winger. He may come good but he doesn’t look to be blessed with a lot of pace and whilst the penalty was dubious he was done again after being booked earlier. I would offer him a one year deal with a view to hoping he improves rapidly. Edwards was my MOM but he didn’t have much to beat. Coops looks a bit flappy at times hopefully he will work hard at coming and claiming crosses in the close season. Three new central defenders and a wizened midfield general as a minimum please.
Totally agree he's one of our own so we want him to do well but at present he's miles off

Mar 14, 2009
Think of it like this.

We are about to go into the close season. Get a load of new players. Yet as it stands nobody knows our best formation or the type of football we want to play under Lowe. That’s what worries me. Why recruit a player when lm not sure if we are a 3 ATB or a 4ATB team! Do we need full backs or wing backs? There is a huge difference there in the type of player you need. Some wing backs don’t make great full backs and vice versa.

I know what Lowe says in terms of the type of football and style. They are just sound bites. Fans love sound bites. It’s what gets us all excited in pre-season.

Now it’s about substance. It’s about delivering.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Rinse repeat performance, well documented defensive weaknesses , tippy,tappy trying to walk it into the net- for it to break down yet again- we have no end product, no clinical edge, no confidence, we are stuck in a permanent malaise- does the team have a pulse or even a heartbeat

Watching today was like slow motion- start of well then 1 long ball up the channel- Opuku not in position lets the player glide past him leaving Kell to cover him - we all know the end result a goal down & Opuku finger pointing & mouthing off- this has been is attitude all season- a petulant individual who is not a team player that RL has persisted with & this culminated in him being sent off in the second half for ill discipline

Would the game have had a different result if Opoku had stayed on the pitch - i guess we will never know

No doubt RL will come out & say the sending off changed the game or the referees decision making left a lot to be desired as seen by his yellow card at half time for chewing off the referees ear off but he needs to look closer to home

Square pegs , round holes, no consistency, no identity, to many games have passed us by, just wanting to get to the final whistle , no fight- you might as well have 18 strangers on the pitch because they all have stage fright as soon as the game starts

Yes we have survived, yes RL has said changes will be made over close season, yes they will try & bring in men not boys , yes they know they have to improve & get better but it needs to start with him & his coaches having a post mortem about the alarming issues we have had all season

This close season will be very interesting - next week we will see the released, retained list - who will stay & who will go what type of player will be walking through the door & what changes will RL be making come the start of the season with regards to playing style, strategy, tactics- will we no longer be a bunch of softies but a bunch of streetwise,mentally strong players with a clinical edge

If he does not make the changes he has been so vocal in saying next season will be a repeat of this- but next season we will possibly not get out of jail :banghead:

Oct 31, 2015
Steve Wooldridge":2h1i270o said:

I agree with this. If fans were allowed in Lowe would be getting a torrid time akin to what happened to DA 2 years ago.
He is very lucky because this is form that deserves the manager getting the hook. As with DA our chairman is loyal but the fans won't be if the squad isn't turned around and there is a good start next season.

Can't comment on the match today as I couldn't be bothered to watch.

Apr 1, 2009
Metal_Green_Mickey":1olayuop said:
Think of it like this.

We are about to go into the close season. Get a load of new players. Yet as it stands nobody knows our best formation or the type of football we want to play under Lowe. That’s what worries me. Why recruit a player when lm not sure if we are a 3 ATB or a 4ATB team! Do we need full backs or wing backs? There is a huge difference there in the type of player you need. Some wing backs don’t make great full backs and vice versa.

I know what Lowe says in terms of the type of football and style. They are just sound bites. Fans love sound bites. It’s what gets us all excited in pre-season.

Now it’s about substance. It’s about delivering.

Absolutely.

Agree also with what MGM and DD said about Conor Grant. He's not a really top level L1 player at LB, LWB, or MF. In a strong L1 side I don't think he'd get a starting place. His strength, however, is his versatility - it's a major asset to a squad to have someone who can "do a job" in several positions.